Beauty and the Beast Turned Inside Out and Upside Down

Chapter 4

Phillip stood there in all his handsome glory. "Oh Phillip, come on in!" my mother exclaimed when she opened the door. "Good evening Mrs. Conard," Phillip said in Italian, knowing exactly the reaction he would receive. "Such a good boy, speaking Italian when he comes over," my mom said as she hugged him and placed a kiss on each of his cheeks. "Only for you," Phillip replied with his easygoing smile. "You ready to go Bella?" "Of course," I replied with a smile. "You're always the one that I’m waiting on." "Whatever," Phillip chuckled as he followed me out the door to his car. Through out the movie things got a little weird.

When there would be a part that startled me I would automatically grab onto Phillip's arm and hide my face. Most guys would just laugh it off, but Phillip would just smile down at me and tell me that it was ok; he wouldn't let anything get me. Then when I would let go he would look slightly disappointed. I couldn't understand it. Why was he acting like this, he never had before? But I couldn't bring myself to ask him about it, not even when we were driving home in the car. When we reached my house he walked me up to the front door.

"Well, tonight was fun," Phillip said as I was pulling my keys out of my purse. "I'll see you on Monday. Goodnight." He began walking back to his car when I turned around, "Wait." He turned around; I had hoped that he hadn't heard me. I don't really know what had happened; it'd just popped out of my mouth. Well, there was nothing to stop me now, he was looking at me and waiting for me to speak. "So what was wrong with you tonight? You were acting a little weird." "Oh, that," Phillip said, scratching the back of his head. "I'm on some cold medicine. It's made me a little loopy. I hope I didn't freak you out." "No, it's all good. I was just making sure that you were ok," I replied, relieved. "Alrighty then, I'll see you Monday," he said as he waved and walked back to his car.

I waved back and watched him drive away before I opened the door and walked into the house. I walked in to see that all the lights were off; Amber must have gone home right after I had left with Phillip and my parents must have gone to bed. I slowly walked up the dark stairs so I wouldn't fall down, which I had done several times in the past. Once I got to my room I turned on the light and changed into my pajamas. Then I walked over to my desk and started up my computer. I logged onto AIM and saw that Amber was online. I clicked on her screen name so that I could tell her about my time with Phillip.

writerinthemaking: hey amber. what's up?

differentbeauty: nm, how was your date with phillip?

writerinthemaking: it was good, but kinda weird. he was acting weird for most of the night, but he said that it was his cold medicine. but, idk.

differentbeauty: i'm telling you, phillip wants to be more than just friends. i can tell by the way he looks at you.

writerinthemaking: no way. we've been friends since forever, there's no possible way for there to be any other connection between us other than that. besides, even if there was something i couldn't let it happen. phillip has been by my side, even when others told him that he was too popular to be seen with a "freak" like me. i could never lose him as a friend. it would be too much for me to handle.

differentbeauty: oh…….i didn't know it was like that. well, i'm sure that even if you guys didn't work out that way he would never leave you alone. especially since he's spent all those years taking crap from the barbies and kens of the school. anyways, i got to get going to bed, big day tomorrow with the parents. i'll ttyl.

Amber got offline and I got off as well. I looked at the time and decided that it was time for me to hit the sack as well. I turned around and saw Duchess on my bed, already asleep. For such a large dog she could always walk around without making a sound, I hadn't even heard her hop on my bed. "Hello sweetheart," I whispered to her as I crawled into bed next to her. She moved her head to look up at me for a second, just long enough to let me know that she'd heard me, and then she laid her head back down. I curled up beside her and draped my arm across her, like I used to do when she was a puppy, and cuddled with her. My eyelids began to sag and then I fell asleep.

I woke up late the next morning and saw that Mom had left me a note by my bed. It said that I hadn't gotten up so they had gone to church without me and that they were going to go to lunch that afternoon and I should call them if I wanted to go. I grabbed my cell phone and saw that it was eleven o’clock. I dialed my mom's cell phone, knowing that I would automatically go to her voicemail, and left her a message saying that I was just going to stay home for the day and work on some homework. I hung up and grabbed my laptop, it was still nice outside so I was going to do my homework outside in the sun.

As soon as I opened up the door to my room Duchess jumped off the bed and raced down the stairs to the backdoor, wanting out as soon as possible. Walking down the stairs I saw little Chico race past me like a white bullet. I laughed at them both once I saw that they were both waiting patiently by the backdoor, even though there was a doggy door installed that they never used. I opened the door and they both raced out into the yard. While the dogs were running around the yard and taking care of their business I did my homework. When I was done with my homework I decided that it was time to start a new story. I was going to make this different than all my other ones, in this one the girl was going to have to win over the love of the guy instead of the other way around.

I had gotten the basic synopsis done when my phone began ringing next to me on the table, it was Phillip. "Hey Phillip, what's up?" I asked as I spellchecked my work and began proofreading it. "Hey, not much. I just wanted to make sure that we were all good from last night," Phillip's voice said through the speaker. "I don't want things to get weird between us." "Oh, no problem. It was your medicine, not much you can do about that." "Well, then that good. I just wanted to make sure that we were ok. I'll talk to you later then; I have to finish up my English paper." "Alrighty then, see you later," I replied as I flipped the phone shut.

The next two weeks went by so slowly. English papers written, Chemistry experiments to perform, and stupid popular people to deal with. I couldn't wait to get out of high school and away from the people that had been making fun of me since I could remember. I had just received my acceptance letter from St. John's College in Maryland, but I hadn't told my parent's yet. Me moving so far away for college definitely wasn't in the plan they had set out when I was born. I was going to tell them later on this year, before my grandparents came in for Christmas. But, other than seeing Amber and Phillip school was a complete dread for me. I spent the least amount of time at school as I could and spent most of my afternoons with either Amber at the arcade, working at Cory's, writing, or hanging out with Phillip.

Then one day I was working on some of my homework upstairs when I heard my dad call from the bottom of the steps, "Bella, you have an envelope from New York here." I walked down the stairs, wondering who would send me an envelope from New York. I saw that Dad had laid the envelope on the table at the bottom of the stairs and I picked it up. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw that the words Recreation, Co. were printed on the front of the envelope. My hands were shaking as I began opening the envelope.