Status: this story is active yet again :)

Sweet Like Sugar

something amazing 2

There are a few myths about how the nickname started. My mom used to tell me that when she was pregnant with me, all she wanted to eat was junk food and when I was finally born, all of the candies she ate had turned me into the sweetest and most adorable baby.

My dad and Zoe told me that I once I broke out of my crib as a baby and knocked the sugar jar off the counter and stomped around in it , which started the nickname Sugarfoot and it’d just been shortened over the years.

Either way, it’s who I am. It’s who always been and as long as I stay in Timbercreek it’s who I’ll always be.

It’s hard growing up as the boy named Sugar. Most of my guy friends just shortened it to Shug so they didn’t feel like they were calling me a pet name. Not that I had many guy friends. It wasn't easy being seen as tough and manly with a name like mine.

Two weeks had passed since the start of my long and boring summer without my best friend and since I didn’t have anything else to do I was helping my mom teach summer school classes at the middle school. Zoe laughed when she found out and asked if I was being punished, but I actually liked helping my mom at the school. It was better than siting home and doing nothing all day and besides, Mrs. Owen, the school secretary, always brought me snacks.

Mostly all I did was spin around in the chair at her desk and sketch a few kids in my notebook and very seldom she’d call me to help someone with a math problem or something.

“Hey Sugar.” I look up from my mom’s desk to see none other than Peeps Martin smiling down at me. Her dad was the principal so she was here a lot and it wasn't unusual for her to drop by and chat with me. I decided a few days ago that I had to like her. If I was going to like any girl, it had to be her and I hoped our frequent chats would help that happen. After sleeping on it and working everything out, it was clear to me that the only reason I didn't like Lia that way was because we were maybe too close. I would never want to risk our friendship. But Peeps was different. If I could get to know her with the possibility of liking her, maybe she could grow on me.

“Hey Peeps.”

“I was about to go watch the soccer boys do some summer conditioning. It’s a great day. Do you want to come with?”

“Uh.” Watching a bunch of jocks kick a ball around wasn’t really my idea of fun.

“Unless you want to stay here and hang with your mom, that is.”

I sigh. Peeps wasn't really the type of person you refuse to hang out with.

“Sure.”

I tell my mom I’m leaving and then follow Peeps down the street to the high school football field. We talk a lot about her love for sports. Turns out she has a passion for soccer which is why she enjoyed watching the boys condition for the new season. Sometimes they would even let her join in. Not only that but she also cheered, played tennis, and softball during the year.

Over the days I had found out that talking to Peeps was easier than talking to most people. She was radiant and had a certain type of aura that drew me in. Maybe this was what it felt like to like a girl.

We sit in the shade under a huge tree and her hair blows in the wind. Turns out wearing it down was her new go to style. This also saddened me a bit. I still hadn’t found anything that I could change about me before the start of school.

“So are you going to the next Lake Party?” She asks changing the subject.

“I don’t know. It’ll be kind of weird without Lia.”

“Oh yeah. So are you two like dating or something?” She shifted uncomfortably and rubbed her arms. “I saw you kissing.”

“No. I don’t think so at least. I mean I love her but...there’s nothing there romantically.” I shrug.

“Oh.” She relaxes a bit. “I thought as much.” I try to understand her facial expression but it’s hard.

She could definitely be jealous which would basically meant she totally liked me but she also cold just not care as much which would get me nowhere.

Two of the boys from the field jog over and greet Peeps while completely ignoring me. They had to already be in high school. They didn't look familiar and looked way older than us but they were clearly infatuated with Peeps and her very conventional beauty.

“Hey guys. This is my friend, Sugar.” The two boys turn and give me a slight wave before turning their attention back to Peeps.

I gladly tune myself out of the conversation I clearly wasn't welcome in and start to sketch the field in my book. Peeps was right when she said it was a great day. The sun was shining and there wasn’t a cloud in si-

“Watch out!”

Huh?

As soon as I look up a hard ball is colliding with my face and I fall back with an oofh.

“Ohmygod, Shug! Are you okay!?” Peeps leans over me as I lie back on the ground. I can see the two boys who were talking with her laughing a bit before she glares at them and they jog away.

“What the hell?!” I groaned out desperately wish that the ache in my face would go away.

Another boy that I recognized from school was now hovering over me and rambling frantic apologies.

His name was...Finn...something.

“I am so sorry. Like really really sorry. I don’t know how that even happened.” He keeps going on and on and Peeps finally snaps at him.

“God, will you shut up?! Can’t you see he’s in pain? This is all your fault you jerk.”

Why am I always surrounded by such hostile girls?

I pull my hands away and see they’re covered with my blood. “Ahhh” I groan again. I was always a little squeamish.

“Dude, you’re bleeding! I am so sorry.” Finn continues.

“No shit. Why don’t you make yourself useful and go and get us some napkins or something?” Peeps snaps again but Finn seems to ignore the hostility in her voice.

“Uh” He stands up. “Shit. The school’s locked.” He seems to rack his brain some more before he gets an idea. “Here.”

And then it happens. Something amazing. In slow motion. Well maybe not in slow motion but it feels like it. And I watch him as he grabs his shirt at the hem and pulls it over his head. His perfectly sculpted body is showing and he hands it to me. But here’s the thing. That wasn't the it I was talking about.

I feel something. Like a tug in my chest. And for the first time in my life I am completely aware of myself and the situation and I was bleeding in front of this sex god of a boy, and I was making a complete fool of myself.

I grab his shirt and hold it up to my nose also trying to cover the stupid pink I could feel forming on my cheeks.

“Here." Peeps says trying to pull me up to me feet. "I’ll take you back to your mom.”

Dear God. Take me back to my mom? What was I five? She’s pulls at my arm some more but I brush her hand away.

“No. It’s fine. I’m fine. I just need to sit down and wait until the bleeding stops.”

“Are you sure?” He asks and I'm too embarrassed to look at him so I just nod and place my head between my legs.

Peeps is still asking me if I'm okay but I can’t stop thinking about how shirtless boy just pulled one of my heartstrings. What did that mean?

The sound of a whistle comes from behind us and I hear a husky voice yell “Ferguson. Get your ass back on the field!”

Finn looks up toward the yelling man. “I’ve got to go.” He places his hand on my shoulder and I freeze. “Feel free to keep the shirt. Again, I’m really sorry, Albie.” And he jogs away back toward the team.

Albie. He called me Albie! Not only did he know who I was but he knew my real name.

I feel light headed. But it was the good kind. I didn’t even know there could be a good kind of faintness.

“Ugh. That boy is so annoying.” Peeps speaks up crossing her arms across her chest. I had almost forgot she was here. My shoulder was still tingling from his touch.

Oh my God.

Oh my God

OH MY GOD

I was now starting to understand what it was that was missing with Lia and Peeps.

“Yeah?”

We sit in silence for a few more minutes other than her asking me if I was sure I didn’t want to go back.

I couldn’t leave now. Not when I kept noticing Finn glancing at me from the field and giving me apologetic smiles.

“He’s cute, right? Finn I mean.” Peeps mumbles. She pulls her knees to her chest to match me and sighs. “He’s an idiot but he’s really cute.”

I guess he was cute. I had really never noticed before but now it seemed so obvious. Finn was very attractive. He had shaggy dark brown hair that reminded me of one of my favorite musicians and I couldn’t forget those…eyes…those beautiful blue eyes. Not to mention he was built. It was like his body was sculpted by God himself.

“Sugar?”

“Huh?” I look back up at her.

“What do you think…about Finn?”

I shrug. “I’m not a girl. How should I know?”

She pauses for a second and I can see her turn to face me in my peripheral vision.

“Well…you’re gay aren't you?” She says nonchalantly with a shurg.

I choke on something I’m not even sure was there.

“W-WHAT?! Of course not!” I can feel myself starting to sweat. Gay? That was that had never even crossed my mind.

“Really?” She asks innocently. “Sorry. I just kind of assumed.”

I’m not really sure if I should be offended or not.

“Why would you assume that? Do I...uh...do I look gay or something?”

She just crosses her arms and says “You can’t look a sexual orientation, Sugar.” As if it’s the most obvious thing ever.

“Well something gave you the impression that I was.” I’m aware that my voice is louder and I’m really trying hard to not scream at her. Why was I getting so upset?

“Oh I don’t know, Shug. Maybe because you've never showed any kind of interest in me or any other girl for that matter. I thought maybe you and Talia had something secret going on but turns out you didn’t.”

“So…just because I'm not pathetically in love with you like most guys, I’m gay?!” I sort of yell but I lower my voice trying not to attract any attention to our conversation.

“No! Well yeah and no.”

“Do you even realize how vain you sound right now?”

“Well what about just now? You were practically drooling over shirtless Finn.” She tilts her head and pops a hand onto her hip because she knows she's got me.

I feel my temperature rising yet again. She saw that? Does that mean he saw that too?

“I was not!” I defend.

“You so were.” She's laughing now. “And Sugar, you’re totally blushing right now.”

“No, I am not!” I bury my face back into my knees. Then I remember that Finn’s shirt is up against my face and a few minutes ago is was up against his body which meant I was indirectly touching his body with my bloody face. Kind of. It worked for me.

“Sugar, there’s nothing wrong with being gay, you know?”

Of course I knew. Why wouldn't I know? I wasn’t some kind of bigot. I just wasn’t gay. Or maybe I was. Whatever. Even if I was, it was none of her business? You just don’t go around assuming that people are gay. That’s rude, right?

After I don’t answers her in a few seconds she sighs and turns away from me.

“Okay geez. I was wrong. You’re not gay. Sorry I upset you.”

I'm a little distraught. I knew my name made me sound a little less manly...but gay?

“So…” I break the awkward silence. “Does everyone think I’m…you know… gay?

Did Finn think I was gay? Did Finn know of me well enough to even think about me?

“I doubt it. I’m just always sticking my nose into other people’s personal lives. Sorry again.”

It was true. Peeps was known for being mean and nosy but I would never actually tell her that. She had never been anything lees than a sweetheart to me and I liked having her around. Especially with Talia gone.

“No...It’s fine. I might have overreacted.”

"You know, Sugar. If you were gay, which I know you’re not, that it would totally be okay with me and I’d keep it a secret if you wanted.” She leaned over and rested her head on my shoulder.

I notice a few guys giving me nasty looks from the field. I also notice Finn’s glance and smile again.

“I’m not." I assure. "But if I was…I’d really like that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
:)