Status: Five Shot

Hold Your Ground

You Could be My Luck, Even if the Sky is Falling Down, I Know That We'll be Safe and Sound

The next night was a game day and Daisy arrived early to acclimate herself to the surroundings on game day. She steered clear of the locker room, knowing that the players tended to be a superstitious bunch. She passed Shea in the hall as he headed towards the trainers and she smiled at him as they passed.

As he disappeared behind the door, the teams president, David, came around the corner and asked to speak to her. She followed him to his office and he gestured for her to take a seat.

"Are you excited?" He asked with a smile.

Daisy nodded. "I'm very much looking forward to the opportunity."

"Good, I'm glad. Have you settled in alright?"

"I think so. I've only been here a week but I've unpacked and settled into my apartment downtown."
"Good, good. When do you start working at Dr. Carter's practice?"

"Next week. Dennis wanted to give me a week to get to know the lay of the land here since there were three home games before I jumped in with patients in the office four days a week."

He nodded. "You let us know if you need anything."

"I will, thank you."

"Dr. Bishop, I just wanted to talk to you for a minute about the players. We haven't had a female on staff like you before and there's nothing in your contract that speaks to this, but generally speaking, it is frowned upon for you to have a personal relationship with any of the players."

Daisy nodded solemnly but she shook with fear inside. "I understand Mr. Poile."

"We're a very family friendly organization and we just ask that you consider the strain to your professional relationship should things not work out."

"I assure you I have no intentions of pursuing any of your players romantically, sir."

"I understand you had dinner with Pekka Rinne last night."

"Yes, sir. He and Shea offered to take me out to introduce me to the area but Shea was unable to attend due to a team obligation that came up. I didn't consider how it would look for me to be alone with Mr. Rinne. I am very sorry for that. That was very unprofessional of me. It won't happen again."

He stood and Daisy followed his lead. "Right then. I'll let you get back to it. Do you know where you're sitting for the game?"

"I was told there was a suite I could sit in, that there was an elevator that would get me qucikly downstairs as needed?"

He nodded. "Do you know how to get there?"

"I think so."

"If you're not sure, just ask. Someone will get you there. You'll find everyone is very helpful and friendly."

"Thank you Mr. Poile. And again, I am very sorry."

"You're not in trouble Miss Bishop, just to be clear. Like I said, there's no rule but we worry about how things might be awkward were you to get involved and things didn't work out. It is the players we are paying millions of dollars to after all."

"I understand."

"Enjoy yourself tonight, Dr. Bishop."

~*~*~


A month passed and Daisy settled into her new life in Nashville. She saw patients four days a week at the office and on game days was available in case of any dental emergencies. So far things had been tame and she was getting into learning about the team and the Smashville faithful.

The Predators had just beat the Red Wings and the atmosphere was electric and full of excitement. Daisy was walking through the halls to head to her car to go home for the night. She was later in leaving that night, having to check out Colin Wilson after he had a tooth knocked loose from an errant high stick.

"Dr. Daisy!" Pekka called out. "Hey!" He jogged to catch up with her. "You gotta come out and celebrate with us tonight. You've been begging off for a month. I got a shut out; you have to come have a drink with me."

"I really can't, Pekka. I'm sorry."

"Why not?" He frowned.

"I just can't." She noticed several members of the team's management rounding the corner and she took two steps back from Pekka.

He glanced over his shoulder as Daisy created distance between them. "Did they tell you not to talk to us or something?"

"No."

"Come on, Dr. Daisy. Tell me the truth."

"They did not tell me I couldn't speak to you."

"But?"

Daisy sighed. "I'm not supposed to fraternize with you, any of you, on a personal level."

"So you can't hang out with us?"

"It isn't proper. If Dr. Carter was still your team dentist, would you take him to dinner? Would you invite him out to celebrate after a game?"

"You're prettier than Dr. Carter though," Pekka smiled.

"I'm being serious, Pekka. I can't. You have to stop asking."

"No, I don't think I will." He turned with a grin. "Mr. Poile, can I have a moment of your time?" He excused himself and walked towards Pekka and Daisy with a curious smile. "Dr. Bishop," he nodded.

"Hello, sir," Daisy answered politely.

"What can I do for you, Pekka?" David asked.

"Mr. Poile, I understand that you have asked Dr. Daisy to refrain from fraternizing with us players."

"Pekka!" Daisy hissed, mortified. "Mr. Poile, I am so sorry. I did not want to tell Mr. Rinne about our conversation but he's very pushy."

"I am not pushy," Pekka defended himself. "Look Mr. Poile, I understand your position but the thing is, Daisy and Shea are friends. They met a couple years ago and it turned out they grew up in towns that were twenty minutes apart."

"You know Shea, Miss Bishop?" David asked.

"Yes sir. We met in Winnipeg two years ago, when I worked for Dr. Walter Freeman."

"You never mentioned that."

"I didn't think it was appropriate to mention in our interview. I didn't want to be judged differently than anyone else."

He nodded. "So long as we understand each other about romantic entanglements, I don't see any problem with your being friends with the players."

Daisy nodded. "Yes sir."

"Pekka, great win tonight."

"Thanks." He nodded and walked away and Pekka turned to Daisy. She punched him in the arm.

"What was that for?" Pekka exclaimed.

"That was for being a jerk! I can not believe you said that to him. If he's not happy with me as an employee, I'm out. Finished. He's not paying me the big bucks like you. I'm not an investment; I'm expendable."

"No one is going to fire you if you date Shea."

"I'm not dating Shea."

"You should though. He's a nice guy. Quiet, not much with words but nice. He'd treat you right."
"Why are you so obsessed with getting the two of us together?"

"Because I know you two could be good together. And because I know he likes you and you like him too. Did you know you always smile at him?"

"I smile at you."

"Yes, but that is a teasing, light hearted smile. You smile at Shea with affection, soft and caring. Your eyes soften too. You like him."

"He's very attractive," Daisy admitted. "But I'm not interested in dating."

Pekka slung an arm around her shoulder and guided her outside towards their cars. "Yes you are. And so is he. It'll only be a matter of time before you two figure it out."

"Stop trying to play matchmaker. I've been warned and I don't intend to jeopardize my job."

"They wouldn't fire you if you were dating Shea. They wouldn't piss him off like that."

"Just stop, okay?" Daisy asked as they reached her car. She opened the door and slid into the drivers seat, turning her key in the ignition. The car refused to turn over and Daisy groaned.

Pekka smiled widely. "Looks like you're riding with me, Dr. Daisy. We'll call a tow truck in the morning."

~*~*~


As they walked into the club the team had gathered at, Daisy immediately noticed Shea at the bar but looked away before he saw her.

"Hey Dr. Daisy!" Rich Clune shouted. "How are you?"

"I'm great, thank you."

"Do you want something to drink? I'm not but I can buy for you."

"You're not? But you won tonight."

"I don't drink. It's a work in progress; every day is a little easier."

"One day Mr. Clune, I hope you'll share your story with me," Daisy told him as she squeezed his arm. "I think you have a lot to share."

He looked away for a moment before looking back at her. "You can find the story on the Internet."
"I'd rather hear it from you," she smiled.

He returned her smile. "How about that drink?"

"Water would be fine. I need to keep my head straight when dealing with Pekka."

"Do you want me to beat him up?" Rich asked as he flexed his upper body. "I'm really good at that."

"Oh lord," Daisy swooned. "Don't do that around me, Rich."

"My friends call me Dicky," he winked.

"Well Mr. Dicky, how about that water?"

"Mr. Dicky.... I like that," he laughed as he walked away.

"You're only supposed to flirt with me," Pekka said as he slipped into the space beside Daisy.

"Are you jealous, goalie boy?"

"I'm not but Shea is." Daisy looked towards the bar and saw Shea talking to Rich. He was frowning and waving his hands in the air. Daisy stepped away from Pekka and crossed the room, muscling through the room to reach the two men.

"Hey, Shea."

"Daisy."

"Good game tonight."

"Thank you."

"Your drink, Dr. Daisy," Rich interrupted, passing Daisy a bottle of water. She smiled.

"Thanks, Dicky. Save me a dance, okay?" Rich nodded and wandered off. "What were you and Rich taking about?" Daisy asked.

"Nothing," Shea replied dismissively. "Just the game."

"Why did you look so mad then?"

Shea shrugged. "Did I?"

"Look, you should know that Pekka told Mr. Poile that you and I have been friends for the last two years."

"Okay?" Shea said slowly.

"Just in case anyone asks you. I told him we met in Winnipeg when I worked for Dr. Freeman."
"Why would Pekka tell the general manager that?"

Daisy sighed. "Pekka wanted me to come out tonight because I've been putting him off for a month."
"I still don't understand why that needed to involve David."

"Because a month ago I got a talking to about having dinner out with Pekka."

"You got in trouble for that?"'

"Not exactly. But I was gently told that I should not have any romantic relationships with any of you guys."

"Oh."

"Pekka made me tell him; he's really very pushy. And when I told him, he went up to Mr. Poile and told him that you and I have been friends for two years. I couldn't tell him Pekka was lying so I went along with it."

"So you can be friends with us but not date us?"

"I wouldn't date any of you anyways. It'd be stupid. I'm a professional, the team dentist. I can't date one of you guys. Imagine the disaster if we broke up. I mean, you guys would never consider dating Dr. Carter. I shouldn't be any different just because I'm a woman and thirty years younger."

"You wouldn't date any of us?"

"Of course not."

"You don't think we're attractive? I saw Clune flexing and showing off."

"Sure you're attractive. And you all know it; you don't need my validation. As for Rich, he was being nice."

"He was flirting with you."

"And I was flirting with him. That's human nature. I'm not going to let him take me home though."

"Who does get to take Dr. Daisy home then?" Shea asked, his voice dropping as he moved a step closer to her.

Daisy was overwhelmed by his size as he stepped into her personal space. Her eyes skimmed his broad shoulders, his dress shirt pulled tightly across his chest, the smell of his cologne taking over her senses. She stepped back from him.

"I'm going to rejoin the others. Congrats on the win again," Daisy smiled as she quickly walked away from him.

Shea watched Daisy through the night as she made her way around the group of hockey players, speaking to all of them, offering her congratulations on the win. She stayed with Colin a little bit longer, talking to him about coming into the office for her to check on him the next day. He watched as she returned from the dance floor with Rich, laughing at something he told her. Pekka walked over to her, collecting her as she waved good night to the others.

"See you tomorrow, Webs," Pekka grinned as he guided Daisy through the crowd.

"Good night, Shea," Daisy said.

"Good night, Daisy," he replied.

Pekka turned onto Daisy's street a little after one thirty only to be stopped by a line of fire trucks and police cars.

"Oh no," Daisy murmured as Pekka stopped. She jumped from the car and he followed her out. "Oh no!" She wailed. She spotted one of her neighbors and rushed over to her. "Mrs. Jacobs, what happened?"

"Oh dear! I'm so glad you're okay. We weren't sure if you were home or not."

"I had to work tonight," Daisy answered. Pekka stepped up beside her, wrapping a comforting arm around Daisy's shoulder as she stared up at the smoke coming out of the charred front of her apartment building.

Mrs. Jacobs smiled at Pekka. "Well, you're going to need to stay with your boyfriend tonight. The Miller's place next door caught fire, and it spread to your apartment. I heard the fire department say your bedroom was a total loss and there is heavy water and smoke damage to the rest of your apartment. I'm so sorry, dear."

Daisy blinked back tears. "Have you seen Gus? I should talk to him."

"Is that your super?" Pekka asked. Daisy nodded.

“Can you take me to a hotel?”

“No I cannot. You are staying with me, for as long as you need. There is no discussion.”

"Thank you, Pekka."

He hugged her tightly and Mrs. Jacobs rubbed her back soothingly. "You go home with him, Daisy. Such a handsome boy.”

“See? I’m handsome,” Pekka smirked.

“You’re something alright,” Daisy replied.

“I'll tell Gus you were here and have him call you, okay?" Mrs. Jacobs said. Daisy nodded and she let Pekka walk her back to his car. He loaded her inside and made the drive to his house. He parked in the driveway and Daisy followed him wordlessly inside.

Pekka led Daisy up the stairs to the guest room and she sat on the edge of the bed. Pekka disappeared from the room and came back a few minutes later, setting a pair of sweatpants, a t shirt, and a hooded sweatshirt beside her.

"They'll be too big on you but at least you'll be comfortable."

"Thanks, goalie boy," Daisy whispered.

"I don't have practice tomorrow. Why don't you let me take you shopping for some new clothes?"

"I can't impose on you like that."

"I'm offering, Daisy. And you're going to stay here as long as you need to. It'll be nice having some company."

"It's too much to ask of you."

"We're friends. That's what friends do. The bathroom is down the hall; towels are in there too. If you need anything, ask. Just get some sleep tonight, okay?"
♠ ♠ ♠
If you don't know Rich Clune's story, you can read it here. I like Dicky, and not just because he idolizes Sean Avery.