I'll Always Love You

So close but yet so far

-Vic's POV-

It was a bit crowded in the lobby of the hospital. My mom was filling out paper work so I could be released, finally. I hated hospitals. They smell funny and the food is horrible. Mike walked over to where I was standing, coffee in both hands. "I don't know how you can stand drinking black coffee" he said and I had to look up to see his face, I forwarded my eyebrows "stop that" I demanded "stop what?" he got confused by my words "stop being taller than me" I took the lid off the coffee cup so I could cool it down faster "I think even mom is taller than you" He said laughing. I raised my head, looking at the woman and realizing that indeed she was taller "you people are just freakishly tall..." I tried to justify my size. "yep" Mike said sarcastically before turning away to answer his phone.
I rolled my eyes, and walked over to a set of benches to rest my legs. It feels like I've been standing for ages waiting for my mom to finish. I looked over to see if it was almost done, instead of her writing on papers, she was talking to some nurse and her face was flushed. why would she be scared? Mike walked over, sitting next to me "Was that Tony?" I sang while shoving his shoulder lightly with my hand. "Maybe" he smiled and I couldn't help but snicker at his red face. "Where did Mom go?" I asked noticing that she wasn't at the counter anymore. "She probably had to use the bathroom" Mike said while playing on his phone. I nodded, that made perfect sense... but something didn't feel right. We waited for about fifteen minutes until she finally emerged from a door to our left. "what was that all about?" I asked a bit confused as to why she was in the blood drawing section of the hospital "They needed to do a few tests before I could take you home, apparently its a must for abuse situations" She shrugged and sat down while digging through her hand bag.

It took an entire hour for the tests to finish. While we waited, me and Mike decided to play leap frog in an open area that was intended for small children. Turns out we suck at the game and kept falling on each other. Some loud commotion brought us to a stop, I looked over and saw our mom arguing with a couple of nurses and one doctor. "Mike come on" I said getting to my feet and jogging over to the loud people. "whats wrong?" I asked loud enough for them to hear over their own yelling "We're leaving" my mom said in anger, grabbing both me and my brother by the arms and leading us to the glass doors. "we can't let you do that ma'am!" The doctor said loudly and two security guards walked over to stop us at the door. Mike looked around and had the facial expression of a scared puppy. "One of your tests came back positive which means you have to go to court before you can take either of these boys away" The male doctor stated with a stern face. I have an idea as to what test is positive but I could have sworn she was off drugs. "Look" she said, moving her hands as she spoke "We've practically lived in this hospital for almost a week, I want to take my sons home" she raised her voice towards the end and was obviously not giving up this fight. "the judge will decide that" the doctor said before motioning the guards over "I am not letting you take my kids from me" she yelled. I looked over and saw one of the guards grabbing Mike "Hey!" I said and was going to say more but the second guard grabbed my arm before I could reach Mike. My body was still too sore to fight back the giant man so there was nothing I could but watch as they dragged us from our mother.

Me and Mike were brought to this smaller room with chairs against the walls, there were quite a few kids in here, much younger than us. We sat down and I could tell Mike was really worried. "It'll be fine" I assured him, giving a hopeful smile but it didn't seem to ease his nerves. "Did you get hurt? the guard wasn't easy on you" He said after a few minutes of silence. I blinked a few times "No, I'm fine" I answered and it wasn't a complete lie.. The doctor did say I will be experiencing pain here and there for a few months. Mike shook his head "Yeah, you were fine the entire 5 years of getting the shit beat out of you everyday. What is fine to you?" Mike spoke with agitated words. I looked down focusing on my hands. He's right.. I always tell people I'm fine when I'm not. But its better that way. "I don't know.., But I promise I'm not hurt" I said after giving it a lot of thought. I didn't want to lie anymore and now that there's a clean slate, I don't have to and I plan on making the most of it.

"Victor Fuentes and Micheal Fuentes?" A lady called our names, poking her head out of the door "Yeah?" I spoke up and stood. "Follow me please" She motioned for us to walk through the door. I looked back at Mike who was already standing. I nodded and walked over to her. She led us down a few hallways till we entered yet another lobby. How many lobby's does one hospital have? We reached a waiting room and automatically I noticed our aunt and uncle standing up from their seats as we entered. "Hey boys" Our aunt said with a big smile and group hugged us "Your mother called us to come pick you guys up and let you stay with us for a few days while she gets everything straightened out" Our uncle Matt said. I nodded and put on my best smile trying to ease the tension.