I'll Always Love You

Halloween

-Vic's POV-

Its been quite. An eerie silence lurking around the house every day and night. Ever since my dad has returned he has hardly spoken to anyone but my mom and I don't even have a clue how he got out of jail. No one is telling me or Mike anything. I told Jaime over the phone that my dad was back, He didn't take it very well and wanted me to stay at his house but it didn't work out. Mike keeps sneaking into my room at night out of fear that he'll wake up and I'll be dead or something even though I've assured him many times that everything is going to be okay.

It was Halloween night and I stood in front of the bathroom mirror putting on the fake vampire fangs I had bought from the Halloween Store. A loud knock came from the other side of the bathroom door making me flinch from the sudden noise

"Hurry up Vic!" Mike called from the other side
"Be patient."

He groaned as he sulked down the hallway. I know he's excited but it hasn't even gotten dark outside yet. I pulled a beanie over my messy hair knowing its freezing outside and I was not ready to be out in the freezing cold for 3 hours.

"Vic the sun is setting!" Mike yelled from downstairs as he waited for me.
I opened the door and stepped out "Fine I'm coming"

When I came down the stairs, Mike was standing in front of the door tapping his foot impatiently.
He was dressed up as Harry Potter just like last year..., and the year before.
"Way to be creative Micheal" I said before grabbing my jacket off the coat rack next to the front door and turned around to grab a lighter from one of the couch's side tables. He rolled his eyes and stayed silent.
"We're leaving now" I said to my mom who was watching TV. "Alright honey, Have fun you two" She said and waved us off. My dad didn't even look at us from the chair that he sat in from across the room. He just stares blankly at the television. I shook my head, just trying to figure all of this out gives me a massive headache.

We stepped out into the cold fall air as the sun was setting, casting an orange glow across the sky.
I lit the candles inside the pumpkins on the front porch before we headed off down the sidewalk in a quest to find Tony's house. He lived in the same neighborhood as us but a few blocks away. This maze they call a neighborhood is massive and has too many streets and dead ends, its impossible to navigate around. Mike seemed to know where he was going though, so that's good.

Tony was walking towards us dressed up as the red Ninja Turtle.
"Well at least Tony changed his costume up from last year- Ow!" Mike jabbed me in the ribs with his elbow before I could finish what I was saying.

We walked to the entrance of the neighborhood where Jaime's mom was planned to drop him off on her way to a Halloween party her job was throwing. It was pretty dark out now as we waited, only the moon and street lamps provided any light. Finally a car pulled up and Jaime stepped out of the passenger door.

"Hey Jaime" I said and pulled the hood of my jacket over the beanie as a cold breeze blew by.
"Hey guys" He smiled but shivered at the cold air

"Why can't Halloween be warm for once" Mike said as we walked down the side walk.
"Wish I knew. But I do know I am not waiting for more than an hour out in this cold" I said and glared at Micheal as the memory of last year came back. Him and Tony dragged me through the entire neighborhood for 4 hours while it was raining and freezing cold. Mike gave an apologizing smile but kept on talking to Tony about how they were going to stay out late like last year.

The boys went from house to house leaving me and Jaime on the street by our selves. Other kids were huddled in groups running around the streets and sidewalks, most of them were young but a few looked to be about the same age as Mike and Tony. "Is that Kellin's little brother?" Jaime asked pointing in the direction of a few boys going towards Mike and Tony. "Yeah that is" I said, remember that they live in the neighborhood across the street from this one. "It looks like they want trouble" I said while watching the way the other boys were acting towards Mike and Tony.

"Yeah It seems that way" Jaime said
"Hey Mike!" I yelled across the street to where they were "Come on, I'm not waiting all night" I said but really they just didn't need to get into some fight. Mike nodded at me and took Tony's hand to lead him over to where we were standing on the street but Kellin's brother Joshua grabbed Mike by the front of his shirt to stop him. Joshua said something to Mike and suddenly Mike threw his fist into the other boys face making him let go of his shirt and take a few steps back. I realized my jaw had dropped at the surprise, I had no idea Mike knew how to do that.

I looked up at Jaime who was also staring in shock. I started making my way across the street but before I could get there a fight had already broken out. I felt Jaime's presence behind me but I didn't really care at this point. I just wanted to get my brother out of there and go home.

"Enough" I said and pulled back one of the boys by the hood on their jacket. They swung around and tried to shove me but Jaime already took them by the arm and planted them on the ground than did the same to the other boy. I opened my mouth to say something but I was cut off "Hey whats going?" An angry Kellin asked before helping his brother off the ground. "Josh was starting shit" I said, crossing my arms, I was already done with this. "Come on" I said and pulled Mike by the sleeve of his coat and motioned him to go "My brother didn't start anything. Micheal is always the one to pick fights with him" Kellin said, raising his voice and walking over to us. I could already tell this wasn't going to end well by the look on Jaime's face.

"Just back off" Jaime said sounding irritated.
"Not until Mike starts leaving my brother alone"
"Mike didn't start it, I saw the whole thing" I said, now getting pissed off.

Kellin took an abrupt step towards me but he was shoved back by Jaime. Kellin pushed Jaime's hands away and made an attempt to hit him but Jaime already threw the first punch knocking Kellin to his knees. I wasn't at all surprised by it, I felt like something like this was bound to happen. Kellin got back to his feet, taking a step towards us but all Jaime had to do was push him and he went stumbling back down to the grass. "Lets just go" I said, grabbing Jaime by the arm and leading him away. "I swear you guys are going to regret this" Kellin yelled when we were already halfway down the road. "How cliché" Jaime said. I felt myself shiver from the cold so he put his arm around me.

"Are you okay Mike?" I asked remembering that he took quite the beating.
"Yeah I'm fine. Lets just go home." He sounded distant.
"What did Josh say that made you so mad?" I asked, feeling confused.
"It was nothing" He said and walked ahead of us.

I forwarded my eyebrows and looked to Tony who had a concerned look on his face.

I sighed and cuddled myself into Jaime a little bit more.