I'll Always Love You

All out of breath

-Vic-

Summer school. It was bound to happen after I missed so many days of class. I never seem to think things through or take in consideration the fact that I have school. Luckily for me the day was coming to an end and now I only had to wait for my mom to pick me up. I was thoroughly annoyed though and had a killer headache that I felt would make me cry at any moment now. It was one of those days where you felt you were at your breaking point and you just couldn't take anymore of school, people, or even being alive. I'm not allowed to see Jaime and that only makes things a thousand times worse.

A few kids on the other side of the street were playing soccer and for some reason it caught my eye. They had to be only 5 years old and had their innocence completely intact. I never had a childhood like that but it didn't stop me from thinking that maybe things were not as bad as they felt or seemed.. Things could always be worse…, right?

A few cars passed then finally my moms car came down the road, stopping a little ways up the sidewalk.
I jogged up to the back door first to throw my bag in and then opened the passenger door… but my mom wasn't the one driving. "Austin?" I asked in confusion. Sure he's been hanging around the house a little bit until my mom kicks him out.. But that’s only because the test results aren't back yet. Why would she send him to pick me up?

Austin looked up from inside the car and nodded "Yeah, your moms not feeling good today, so get in"
I blew out a sign then slid into the seat, closing the door behind me. I still don't understand why he's being so nice to her. Maybe he thinks he'll grow on her but it wont work.. I sure as hell know it wont work on me.

A horrible pop song came on the radio, making me scrunch my face up. Hastily I reached for the button and flipped through the stations until I found pretty much the only rock station in this small town which was playing a new Creed song. "Oh thank you" Austin said laughing. "I don’t know what channel that was before but it was on when I got in here. I didn’t want to change it and make your mom even more mad at me.. If that’s possible." He shook his head.
I simply looked at him for a moment then averted my eyes to the road. I wasn't going to make a joke, or laugh at what he says. I won't let myself like him or get attached because he's not going to be hanging around much longer.
I think he got the hint cause he fell silent, making the air a bit awkward around us. "How was Mike doing today?" I asked, not able to hold in the question any longer. It took Austin off guard for a brief second at my eagerness before understanding filled his eyes. "Not bad" He stated. "He stayed in bed a little longer than normal but when he got up he went straight for the food.. So I think he's okay" Austin said with a chuckle. Confusion flooded my mind yet again. "You were at the house that early? Or did Mike sleep in till that late in the day" I asked in an accusing tone. He knew he was treading on thin ice with me. I do not like someone trying to pry themselves into my family like this. "Your mother called me over around nine this morning" He admitted. "You're lying. She hates you" I said and swallowed hard. What if she's warming up to him? She cant. She knows the things Dad will do.

"She just wasn't feeling good. The baby will be here any day now so I took care of the house and let her sleep in." He said quickly. "Trust me, she doesn't want me there anymore than you do" He added. What he said was true. Maybe she really had no other choice but like the bratty teenager I am I crossed my arms over my chest and refused to talk the rest of the ride home.

-

The first thing I noticed when the car pulled into the driveway was the ninja turtle bike laying in the front yard, which could only mean one thing. A smile spread across my lips as I hopped out of the car and ran to the front door, swinging it open. "Miiiiiike!" I sang loudly so he could hear me from upstairs. "No closed doors when boys are over!" I yelled. The sound of a door slamming shut echoed down the stairs, making me laugh. "Be nice" My mom said from the couch. "I am" I said quickly then kissed my moms cheek before jogging up the stairs. Loudly I knocked on my brothers door before barging in. Tony and Mike were sitting on the floor in front of Mikes TV.. Playing games. "That’s it? You have your boyfriend over and you play video games?" I asked in a fake disappointed tone as I fell onto his bed. "He's not my boyfriend" Mike said like a zombie as he never took his eyes off the screen. Tony nodded in agreement. "Liar" I stated, knowing that Mike wasn't fully out of the closet. He simply shrugged though, ignoring me.

I sighed and rolled over onto my back with every intention of only closing my eyes for a few second but when I opened them I wasn't in Mikes room anymore. Him and Tony were both gone. It took me a moment but I soon realized I was in a hospital waiting room, the same one I spent many nights sleeping in when Mike was diagnosed with a tumor. The room was lit only by what seemed to be moon light from outside the tall windows. The room was completely empty and if a pin were to drop across the room, I'm sure I would hear it loud and clear. With a loud swallow I started moving forward towards the long desk where a woman normally sat to answer any question a person could have. Once I got to it I placed my palm on the cold surface. A loud noise that sounded like a door slamming came from behind me, making me jump and spin around. "Hello?" I said as a cold shiver run up my spine. "Mike?" I called but got not response. "Is someone there?" I called again, inching my way slowly to where the sound came from. The temperature felt like it was starting to go down and soon I could see my own breath blow out in front of my face.

A door that was cracked open came into my view from behind a wall. It was a back exit door and I could see the outside smoking area through the crack of it. The wind was harsh and blowing leafs around but it didn't seem to even budge the opened door, like something was stopping it from moving. "I've seen enough horror movies to know this is really bad" I said quietly to myself. Jaime and I would spend whole weekends during October just watching shitty old horror movies that came on TV. "It’s a dream" I said, speaking to myself again. "It is just a dream" I repeated then closed my eyes and hugged my cold arms around my thin figure.

"Is it really only a dream?" A cold husky voice asked from behind me. My eyes shot opened just as the door in front of me slammed closed, making me scream at the top of my lungs. When my screams came to a stop I became frozen in place where I stood. "Vic!" Mikes voice rang out from a distance but I couldn’t reply. Something was wrong with me, my lips wouldn’t move. My voice was broken and wouldn't make a sound to let Mike no where I was. "Vic!" He yelled again but this time closer. "Wake up!" What? "Vic, please!"

My lungs suddenly filled with air and my eyes shot open. Mike was hovering over me with a scared look in his eyes. "You wouldn't wake up" He said in a small voice, sounding like a scared child. I was at a lost for words so I stayed silent. Mike opened his mouth but then shut it like he was thinking of what to say next.

"You stopped breathing" Mike finally choked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys its been decades...