Cinderella

Chapter 2

Ella reached into coat's pockets and pulled out a ten-dollar bill. That could not get her enough fabric for her next creation. Ella looked down at her design, a long, black dress with one shoulder sleeve. It was fit for a goddess. She stood up from her bed and opened up her wardrobe. She took the gargantuan container holding many yards fabric. She looked to see if she had any leftover black fabric. She did but not enough for her project. She decided to use the scraps she had left to make something that was in the very back of her sketchbook. It was white with sparkly sequins on the top part and a black wrap on bottom. It was elegant, fit for Audrey Hepburn. She closed her sketchbook and took the fabric out of the container. She took out her fabric scissors and cut out pieces according to her size. Ella finished not too far along and then she her stepmother’s shrieking voice calling for her. She shot up and hurried out of her room and to where her stepmother was.

“Dear, could you make everyone some dinner right now? I am starving.” Her stepmother yawned and sat on the couch next to Driz. She laid her head on Driz’s shoulder.

“Oh, yeah. Sure, I can.” Ella skipped over to the kitchen and prepared a pot roast. Ella preheated the oven and paced over to her bedroom. She placed the pieces of fabric that needed to be aligned together on top of each other. She set them over the chair next to her bed and went back to the kitchen. The oven beeped showing that it was hot enough for the food to cook in. Ella put the pot roast in the oven and watched her stepmother and sister. She was jealous of their relationship. Her birth mother died giving birth to her and she lived with her father. At the moment, her father was working overtime. It was hard to take care of a family with three girls and a wife. At least her stepmother had a job; her stepmother was a designer as well as Ella was.

Ella sat at the table and played with a pencil lying around. She spun the pencil around in circles as if she was playing “Spin The Bottle,” the game where you would spin a bottle and whomever it landed on, you would have to kiss. Ella sat there daydreaming of what she could have been doing on a Saturday night instead of waiting for a pot roast to be done in the oven only for her family to take over and she would barely get to have any of, even though she made the pot roast herself. Ella imagined herself at parties, dancing on tables and making out with boys. She had kissed a boy one time but that was in elementary school that didn’t really count. She did have a crush on a boy at her school, Daniel Ivy, quarterback of the football team. He was tall with broad shoulders, and he had light, messy brown hair and mysterious grey eyes. He was very handsome and charming. Since she was one of the popular girls at school, she had a chance with him, but her parents didn’t let her date. That was just a dream.

Ella heard a beep coming from behind and it was oven showing that the food was done. She sighed and rised from the chair. She got out the oven mitt that was supposed to look like a chicken and she took the pot roast out of the oven. It looked delicious even though she wasn’t very hungry. She was never really hungry. She would usually eat a yogurt with granola for breakfast then before she would go home she would eat lunch at a diner close by her house. She regularly ate a hamburger with French fries and a coke, or sometimes she would order a glass of water.

Ella got out plates for everyone even her father and dished out the food. She placed the plates on the table and waited for everyone to eat. It took awhile since they were all still watching reruns of “Roseanne.”