A Night in Paris

A Night in Paris

After four years of marriage, Jeremy always regretted not being able to give Isabelle the chance to go back to Paris. After all, Paris was where they met and fell in love. But something always came up, whether it be because of their financials or their schedules at work, the trip to Paris drifted farther away. Jeremy knew that even the little money they managed to save wasn’t enough to go to Paris. To make up for the disappointment, Jeremy had been planning a night in Paris with a dinner for two for two weeks. It may be in their apartment, but he hoped this sentiment relays how much he loves her despite how busy he has been.

When seeing the clock almost at five o’clock, Jeremy rushes to put the bread in the egg batter to make the French toast. Putting the sopping wet bread in the buttery pan, the sizzle started to make a crackling noise. Jeremy then reached to his left to use the pick stamp with the Eiffel Tower, he pressed it down as the sizzle got more intense and then stopped after five seconds to help flip it to the other side. He smiled down at the imprint of the Eiffel Tower on the buttery bread the dark brown outlining the tower. He takes the rest of the bread and continues his pattern, as he reflects back to the first time they met.

The Eiffel Tower was where he first saw Isabelle. The first floor was crowded with thousands of tourists and Jeremy knew he had to stick with his Study Abroad group, but with the turn of his head he saw Isabelle. Beautiful, she stood amongst the crowd, her brown curls swaying against her face as the breeze blew through the fence. She looked so bright, blue eyes shining and bright smile surrounded by rose petal lips. All she did was stand there listening to an old woman speak bad French to her but that didn’t stop Isabelle from listening. Jeremy stood there staring for god knows how long, but when she turned her head in his direction, she was just like Jeremy, frozen in time. But within seconds, she smiled at him. It was that very smile that Jeremy fell in love with and what made him approach her, what Isabelle-Isabelle.

It was the best two months Jeremy experienced, but when his financial aid for the semester ran short, he was notified to return back to America. Knowing he had to tell Isabelle hit him hard in the gut. Jeremy remembered what happened when he told her he was leaving.

“You’re leaving? When? Why?” Isabelle said quickly, as tears started to gather in her eyes.

“ I don’t have enough money to finish my semester, so my funds are exhausted here. I leave tomorrow…” Jeremy sighed, turning his away from her. He knew if he saw the tears fall from her eyes, he would do something stupid. Something Illegal.

Isabelle’s footsteps got closer to his back and soon her tiny hands curved around his big frame, she put her head to the middle of her back.

“If you are not staying, then neither am I.”

It came out so soft, Jeremy almost missed it. Almost.

“What do you mean?” Jeremy said, grasping her hands in his.

“Marry me, Jeremy. If you marry me, then I can go with you. My parents love you, so it’s not like we have to worry about them.”

Isabelle looked at Jeremy with such defiance and stubbornness, her jaw set and blue eyes determined. It was one of Isabelle’s prominent characteristics, and it was so cute, he was tempted to kiss her.

“Isabelle-“he began, but stopped when he realized that if he said no, then he would probably never see her again. He couldn’t live like that. Wouldn’t. “Okay, let’s get married.”

Isabelle smiled big and wide, and jumped, so her tiny body was wrapped around him and planted a big kiss on him. Seven hours later, with Isabelle’s parents blessing, they were married in a small chapel and then seventeen hours later- on a flight back to America.

After Jeremy was done with the food, he set the table with the lace table sheet from Isabelle’s mom, two plates, two glasses, two candles, silverware, and the wooden plank he held in the chapel that said “Wood you marry me?”. Jeremy smiled as he put the wooden plank in the center, remembering how Isabelle smiled at his cheesy humor. Only she understood him and accepted him.

He was plating the strawberries on top on the French toast, when the clock struck six o’clock. Hurriedly, Jeremy put the whip cream on top of the strawberries and then quickly put everything away. With everything set up, he pushed his hair back and smoothed his clothes, before going out the door to escort his wife from the bus. When the bus pulled to corned of the apartment complex, Jeremy stood two feet away with a smile on his face as he awaited his wife’s arrival.

When she finally appeared within eyesight, he called her name. Isabelle looked up from the stairs of the bus with surprise, and as soon as she confirmed it was her husband, she launched forward with the big smile and hugged him.

He hugged her back briefly before pulling away and pulling her towards their small apartment. She started to ask him questions, but Jeremy answered as vaguely as he could. He didn’t trust himself to say anything else, as he was excited for his wife to see his surprise.
As soon as he opened the door, Isabelle looked around his big frame and saw the table. Jeremy pulled her in as she looked at the lights he set up earlier and the flower petals showering the counters.

“Is this all for me?” Isabelle asked in awe.

Jeremy shook his head, his black hair falling into his hazel eyes,” No, this is for us. Happy Anniversary Isabelle.”

Isabelle smiled a watery smile and then stood up on her tippy toes to place a gentle kiss on his lips. “Thank you, Jeremy. I love this. I love…you.”

Few minutes later after Jeremy took her stuff and put it away for her, he sat her down at the table and then sat across from her. She went to look at him, when she noticed the wooden plank.

“Is this…?”

Jeremy nodded and smiled,” I wanted this to feel like Paris, and seeing as that piece of wood came from your dad’s piano store…it belongs here. Just like you belong here with me.” Jeremy’s eyes got serious and he grabbed her hands across the table.

“Isabelle, I can’t afford to give you the glitz and glamour, but I can give you a night in Paris. Is this enough? I mean at least until I save up enough money for our trip.”

Isabelle smiled and then took her hands away from his. Jeremy quickly got confused and then started to get concerned, until her same her grab the wooden plank.

“Only if you promise me something.” Her blue eyes getting determined,” Wood you marry me…again?”

Jeremy laughed out loud and then leaned over to kiss her quickly before saying,” I would you marry in churched all over the world, if I could.”

Isabelle’s eyes turned soft and with that famous smile whispered against his lips,” I love you.” Jeremy kissed her once again and replied back with a soft,” I love you too.”