New Beginning

New Beginning

Back to England and Liverpool after 5 years, feels like it's been more and at the same time less. I went to study architecture in Brazil, then went to Africa for 6 months to help build a school in Algeria. Tried to do a good deed in hope that my life would turn around. When I made my choice to go to Brazil to study what I had in mind was to put as much distance between my brother's best friend and I. The typical cliché, I feel for my brother's best friend while he saw me as the annoying, little sister of his best mate. Plus he always knew what buttons to push and we always ended up raising hell. My brother always blamed me for not getting along and once it was time to choose what I wanted do with my life I decided to get out of their way. Now I was back and had this weird feeling in my tummy.
"-As usual he's late." I grumbled while picking up a newspaper on my way out of the airport.
"-Still grumpy as ever." I heard a voice I recognized in a heart beat.
"-Gerrard." I said and rolled my eyes.
"-Oh come on, I haven't seen you for 5 years and that's all I get." he said acting hurt.
"-Can't say I missed you." That was a total lie but figured it was for the best.
"-Ouch that hurts, especially when I came all the way to pick you up."
"-Pick me up? Jamie is picking me up."
"-He had an emergency and had to go to London."
"Great just fucking great." I cursed in my head and pretended I wasn't bothered.
"-So shall we go."
"-Yeah."
The first 10 minutes of the ride were really quiet, awkwardly quiet.
"-You look different, better."
"-It's been 5 years, people change and some get old."
"-Did you just called me old?" he asked half amused half serious.
"-Well you are in your thirties."
"-Your brother is even older."
"-Thanks for telling me, I wouldn't know that."
"-I can see you haven't forgot your usual sass and sarcasm."
"-And?"
"-Nothing, nothing."
I could see him from the corner of my eye sneaking glances at me and I couldn't figure out if he was checking me out or if he was trying to find out flaws and point them out in public like he used to do. It was probably the latest.
A few days later I decided to pay a visit to the team at Melwood and also meet the new manager. Last time I was there Rafa had just been sacked.
"-Now who's that sexy lady." I heard Martin Skrtel saying. I smirked and turned around. He looked shocked and I laughed.
"-Good seeing you too."
"-God Jess you changed so much and you got even hotter." he said and hugged me.
"-Down boy, you are married and she's a proper fittie. I'd do her." I said and winked.
"-What happen to not so unspoken Jess?"
"-She died once she got to Brazil."
"-Have you seen your brother?"
"-Yeah, already yelled at him and put him on my black list."
"-What about Stevie?"
"-What about him?"
"-Do I need to keep you away from him so he will survive?"
"-I'll be good, promise."
"-Oh wow. So tell me any hot guys I need to scare away?"
"-Why would you scare them away if they're hot?" I asked confused and he laughed.
"-Good point. Any man in your life?"
"-All the excess luggage has been left in Brazil."
"-You are bad."
"-Who's bad?" I heard Agger saying
"-Just your twin." Martin said
"-Jess?" he asked looking even more shocked than Martin.
"-Oh boy this is gonna be a long day."
After catching up with everyone it was time to meet the new manager.
"-The other Carragher." Martin said as he introduced me to Brendan Rodgers.
"-The even more louder and grumpier Carragher." Daniel added.
Brendan chuckled and I spent a few minutes chatting with him while the lads trained.
"-Good to be back?"
"-So and so. Can't say I miss bickering with my brother and Steven."
"-Oh I heard stories about it. How come you 2 don't get along surprises me."
"-His big ego and mouth might have to do something with that."
"-Can I ask you for a favour?"
"-I suppose so."
"-Take it easy on Stevie, he's had a rough year and he needs to get his head back in the game."
"-Anything for the club. What happened to him?"
"-It's not my place to tell you, I hope you understand." I nodded, picked a football and did a few tricks I had learned in Brazil.
"-Show off." Lucas yelled.
"-You're just jealous sunshine." I said and kicked the ball and it him in the back.
After training Stevie asked:
"-Do you need a lift home Jess?"
"-Why are you nice to me? What have you done to mean Steven?" I asked amused.
"-You're not the only one who's changed."
"-I'd be grateful if you could drop me off at my dad's."
"-Sure thing."
On the way to my dad's I couldn't help but wonder what happened to Stevie.
"-Hey can I ask you something?"
"-You know you can."
"-What happened to you? You are different."
"-Life, I suppose."
"-Sorry I asked."
"-Don't worry about it. I am just not good at talking about it."
"-You don't have to. We can talk about the weather or how shit you are at football." I said cheekily.
"-Very funny love."
"-I am always funny."
"-Yeah I get it, unlike your brother you have been blessed with good looks, brain and humour." he said.
"-Good looks?" I asked raising an eyebrow
He blushed or so it seemed.
"-Oh come on, you always knew you are good looking."
"-Yeah but didn't thought you believed it as well. God I sound vain." I said amused.
As soon as we got in front of my dad's house, I took a deep breath and looked at Stevie, then gave him a peck on the cheek.
"-Thank you for driving me here and picking me up from the airport."
"-Anytime for you."
"-I think I like the new Stevie a lot better than I liked the old one."
"-You liked me?"
"-Maybe I did maybe I didn't. I guess you'll have to find out."
"-Hmmm I think I will. Dinner, tonight at 8?"
"-Hmm I think I will accept your offer."
"-Good, see you later love."
"-Oh you will." I winked and headed inside.
I guess my luck had finally changed and this could be a new beginning.