Little Girl Lost.

002.

I slept restlessly; tossing, turning and thrashing about my bed until my sheets were knotted around my ankles and blankets were twisted about my legs. The scare I had last night was branded into my psyche and I couldn't shake the ominous feeling that something was still terribly wrong. My shoulders prickled, as if someone was nearby watching me. I felt small and helpless, like a mouse waiting for the nearby cat to pounce.

Just as I was, once again, starting to drift back into my shallow slumber; my alarm clock blared it's morning greeting and I jolted, falling out of bed and bringing the tangle of bedclothes along with me for the ride. My shin collided with the corner of the wooden bedpost and I yelped, trying to massage out the imminent bruise while simultaneously trying to detangle myself from the snare of thick fabric wrapped around my limbs.

Dragging myself through the typical morning routine, I tried to shake the feeling of dread but it crept back up on me over and over again. The exhaustion that pounded against my head didn't help much, and I still had a full gymnastics practice to get through before even starting my school day.

"Joy.." I grumbled, shoving one foot into a dark gray, sport shoe while pulling my hair back into a ponytail.

I hopped out of my bedroom, trying to attach the matching shoe to my bare foot and instead; colliding with Rodney, nearly knocking the both of us to the ground amidst our morning rush.

"Fwe, haf ish." He grumbled, running his hands through his dark shock of black hair, making every lock stand on end.

"Morning to you too, grumpy." I teased, heading to the kitchen to grab my typical cup of herbal tea and breakfast of wheat toast with applesauce before heading to the gym.

Some time later, he stumbled back into the kitchen looking slightly more presentable than before but the black mop of hair atop his head was still completely askew.

"Mom and Dad came in late last night, left early. But they said they'll take us out to dinner tonight..somethin' about celebrating their new settlement." He mumbled over his shoulder as he retrieved his breakfast of choice from the cabinet; Lucky Charms cereal and chocolate milk. He's 19 years old with the appetite of a 5th grader.

"I'm sure." I muttered under my breath. Our parents weren't exactly the type to keep promises, especially when it came to spending time with the either of us. They were big time lawyers for some big time firm, they cared much more about settlements and claims than they did taking their kids out to eat.

"Hey, movie at the theater instead? That new Diesel movie is showing at 7, sound good?" Rodney managed to make out between bites of sugar and artificial dye.

"Sounds good, I'll meet you there. Someone from the gym will give me a ride after practice."

Speaking of which, I had to get going before I would be late. Glancing at the digital clock on the top of the stove, I gulped down the last of my toast and grabbed my to-go mug of tea.

"Bye Rod, see you at 7!" I called over my shoulder as I grabbed my gym bag from the entryway and bolted out the door, into the crisp, early morning air of another beautiful, autumn day.