Paintball

That's Debatable

The sunlight hit my eyes hard as I flew out of the house, my wavy hair flying out behind me. The green grass was springy beneath my feet as I hurtled towards the road, a high pitched squeal escaping my lips as he followed me outside, a small water balloon in his multicoloured-streaked hands. I stopped running and turned to face him, my eyes bright and a smile on my face.

'Don't you even --' I didn't have a chance to finish my sentence before a lime green balloon came sailing through the air and landed on my bare thigh. It popped, the blue paint inside running down my leg and splashing onto the ground.

'You jerk,' I smiled, tossing my own yellow balloon at him. He spread his arms wide, and pretended to double over in pain as it hit him square in the chest.

'You've wounded me!' He exclaimed, his fingers scrabbling at the red paint running down his shirt. 'You've killed me!'

'You poor thing.' I said, creeping closer and seeing that he had no other balloons. 'I have a cure for dying.'

'And what's that? An ambulance? It won't work. If I had been shot -' I raised myself onto my tiptoes and placed a hand on his chest, leaning in for a kiss, cutting off his inevitable story length answer.

We were covered in paint, but it didn't matter. The feature wall inside looked amazing, and there was always a shower to rinse ourselves of the sticky substance. But right now, I wanted to be here, with him. I pulled away and gave him yet another smile. He smirked back cheekily at me, reaching into his back pocket and shoving a balloon at my stomach, the paint exploding over us.

'Thanks, honey.' I said, looking down at the sopping paint. I started jogging towards the house to retrieve more ammo. Another balloon hit my back, making a snapping sound, and he ran towards me, scooping me into his arms, carrying me fireman-style inside.

'You know you love me.' He murmured, kissing my collarbone. I replied with,

'That's debatable.'