Big Changes

017:

Chapter Seventeen
“Why couldn’t we just go to her Uncle’s house?” Melanie asked.

“Do you remember how to get there?” I asked and Melanie shook her head, “Yeah, neither do I, that’s why we’re going to the rink.”

“But Mary, no one’s here,” Lori said as I pulled into the parking lot of the rink that the guys usually practiced at.

I sighed and parked my car and got out. I looked around to see that there weren’t really a lot of cars around, and the ones that were, I knew they weren’t hockey players because there were normal cars, probably security.

“Can I help you?” I heard and turned my head to see a man in the security outfit walking towards us.

“Yes,” I said and sighed, “My name’s Mary, I’m looking for Pascal Dupuis.” the guy laughed at me, “I’m serious,” I said and then shook his head.

“Get back in the car and go home,” he said and I heard my car door open and saw Lori and Melanie getting out.

“Look, I need his help, I’m friends with his niece and something’s wrong! I’m being serious!” I said and the guard laughed as he grabbed his walkie and started to call someone, “Listen man! We’ve all been here before while the guys were practicing! Can you just help us out? Call Mario if you have to?!”

“No, call Dan! He’s seen us, he’ll know who we are!” Melanie said and I looked back towards her and nodded my head and then back towards the guard.

“Please! Call Coach!” I said and the guard sighed and shook his head.

“Follow me,” the security guard, “If you’re lying to me, I’ll arrest you!”

“We’re not lying!” I said as we followed him into the rink and he walked us to the security office, told us to sit as he walked over towards the phone and called someone up.

We must have waited for an hour to so, because finally Dan Bylsma walked through the door and I stood up and looked at him.

“What’s up Bernie?” Coach asked and the security guard pointed towards me.

“Coach,” I said and he looked at me, “Do you remember me?”

“You’re Kay’s friends?” he asked and I nodded my head, “What’s up? Why did I need to come down?”

“Something’s wrong with Mckayla and I need to get in contact with Pascal,” I said and Dan sighed, “You don’t believe me?”

“Duper’s been saying that he thinks that something’s wrong because she hasn’t been answering her phone,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head, “Hold on.”

Coach pulled out his phone, dialed a number and called someone, “Duper, you home?” he asked and I sighed and sat back down, “I have Mckayla’s friends here asking to talk to you,” he said and I looked towards Lori and Melanie, “All right, I’ll let them know.”

‘…I guess he’s coming…’

“He’s on his way,” Coach said as he hung up the phone. I looked towards him and nodded my head and then sighed and rubbed my face, “We can go to my office.”

“All right,” we said, stood up and then followed Coach out of the security office and towards his office by the ice.

We waited about another hour, it was an awkward silence and I just wanted Pascal to get here. After he finally did, he practically burst through the doors and looked at us.

“Is Kay all right?” Pascal asked and I stood up and shook our heads.

“I’ll leave you guys to talk,” Coach said and then left the office.

“All right, what’s going on?”

“We don’t know, Mckayla’s been in her room since last Wednesday, she’s not talking to us, she’s locked her door-“

“Last Wednesday?” he asked and we nodded our head and he was thinking about something, “Take me to her.”

I nodded my head and we were out the door and heading out of the rink, heading towards the campus. I showed Pascal where to park and Lori and Melanie brought Pascal upstairs while I parked my car. As I parked my car and was walking towards the door, I heard my name and turned around to see Wes running towards me.

“Hey Mar, how’s Kay doing?” he asked and I sighed.

“She’s not doing too good, we ended up finding her Uncle and hoping that he can help her,” I said and there was a look on Wes’ face that caught my attention.

“Her Uncle?” he asked and I nodded my head, “What’s he gunna do?”

“Well Kay was always saying that she and her Uncle were so close that she would tell him anything,” I said and Wes nodded his head, “Something wrong?”

“Uh, no, I gotta go,” he said and then turned around and started to head away from the building.

I watched him confused as he rushed away, then shook it off and then headed into the building, up the elevator and towards my apartment. Melanie had propped the door open for me and I walked in to Pascal knocking on Mckayla’s door, trying to talk her into unlocking it.

“Kay, please, it’s me,” Pascal said and I sighed and looked at Lori, “Just talk to me. Did something happen?”

‘…Wes was being really weird, does he know something?...’ I thought as I leaned against the wall and listened to Pascal beg his niece to open the door.

“Kid, come on, if you don’t open the door, I can’t help you, and you know that I would do anything for you,” he said and I listened to the door clicking unlocked.

-Pascal-
Mckayla unlocked the door, I took a deep breath and then walked into the room and looked at my niece, she looked a mess as she sat on the bed.

“Kay, what happened?” I asked as I closed the door, walked over towards the bed and sat next to her, “Talk to me,” I tried to place my hand on her knee, but she flinched and scooted away, “Kay?” I looked at her confused, “Did someone hurt you?” she just looked at me and I saw the purple marks on her neck. My eyes widened and I leaned forward and looked at her neck, “Mckayla, what is this?” she didn’t say anything, she just looked at the bed, “Mckayla, talk to me, who hurt you? I’ll kill them!”

“No one,” she breathed, her voice so low I could barely hear her.

“That’s bullshit, how did you get those marks on your neck?” I asked and she shook her head. I grabbed her head and looked at her neck, “And why are they in a form of a hand?”

“Nothing happened,” she muttered and I sighed and shook my head.

“Mckayla,” I said and heard a knock on the door. I turned my head and say Mary walking in.

“Kay, did- did someone hurt you?” Mary asked as she looked at her friend. Mckayla never looked up, she just held herself and stared at her bed, “Kay, did Wes hurt you?” I looked at my niece, recognizing the name and saw that Mckayla flinched.

“Is that it, Kay?” I asked and Mckayla looked like she wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out. I sighed and then stood up and growled, “Where is this little bitch?”

“I just saw him downstairs, he was leaving,” she said and I clenched my fists, “The only reason I asked is because when I saw him and told him you were here, he looked nervous.”

“Do you know where he was going?” I asked and she shook her head. I looked back towards my niece and sat next to her, “Mckayla, please look at me,” she did and I placed my hand on her knee, “Please, tell me what happened? What did Wes do to you? Was it Wes?” she looked down, pulled her blanket closer to her and nodded her head, “What did he do?”

“He,” she shook her head and tried to move away.

“Kay, come on, it’s me,” I said and looked at her, “Please tell me.”

“He- He,” she started crying and I wrapped my arms around her and held her, “He raped me.”

She cried into my chest and I heard her friend gasp. I looked towards the door and saw Mary wide eyed, I tried to control my anger and the urge to kill this kid. Mary said she was going to call the police and I nodded my head and just held my crying niece.

‘…This explains why she hasn’t been talking to us…’ I thought as I just held my niece and thought about everything I had to do, calling her parents, my brother, being one of the top things.

-Sidney-
I had gotten a call from Pascal asking for me to come over his house, when I asked when, he didn’t answer. I sighed, got changed and drove over to his house, it was late at night, so I was confused as to what was going on. When I pulled into the driveway, Pascal was walking outside and waiting for me on the porch.

“What’s going on Duper? Hear anything from Kay?” I asked and Pascal sighed and nodded his head, “What is it?”

“Sid, Coach called me this morning and told me that three of Kay’s friends were at the rink looking for me, said something was wrong,” he started and I gulped and nodded my head, “I got there and they told me that Mckayla’s locked herself in her room and hadn’t come out for almost a week.”

My eyes widened and I stiffened, “Is she all right?!”

“I told the girls to take me to the campus and I managed to get Mckayla to open the door,” Pascal said and then sighed and rubbed the back of his neck and then used both hands to rub his face, “Sid, my niece was rapped at school.”