Big Changes

019:

Chapter Nineteen
“Hi, I’m Alicia!” I heard and turned around to meet a tall skinny girl wearing a Michigan shirt and black sweats, “Sorry I look a mess.”

“Hi,” I said as I put down my bag and shook her hand, “I’m Mckayla, and it’s cool, you’ll see me like that a lot,” we smiled and she offered to help me with my bags.

“So is this your first semester?” Alicia asked and I nodded my head, “Cool, where’d you transfer from?”

“Pittsburgh,” I said and she looked at me wide eyed.

“Why change?”

“Uh, long story,” I said and she nodded her head, “What about you? First year?”

“No, I’m a junior, I’ve been here since the beginning,” she said and I smiled and nodded my head.

Again I was staying in an apartment style dorm, there were four of us, the one girl that was here in the fall had left, no one knew why, so I was here to take her room. Like the last apartment, we all had our own room, but they were all right next to each other, we walked out into a living room and kitchen area, while the only bathroom was in the corner of the apartment.

‘…Like the last one better…’ I thought as I was shown to my room to see that the room was smaller than the last, but at least I didn’t need to share it with anyone.

“Well, this is your room, the one other girl isn’t back from break yet and the other one is out getting her books. You’ll like them, they’re cool,” Alicia said and I smiled.

“My parents are coming up with the rest of my stuff,” I said and Alicia nodded her head.

“I’ll prop the door opened for them,” she said and I smiled and thanked her.

Months had past and it was a new year and I was starting my year off at a new school. I was hoping that it was going to be better than the last. I mean, the school was fine, but it was too traumatic to go back there, especially since they still hadn’t caught Wes. No one knew where he was or how he was able to hide from the police this long.

It took a few hours, but my parents and I unpacked my things, decorated my room and then they kissed me goodbye for the night. I was tired and decided that I was going to lay in my bed, I wanted to fall asleep, but just as I was about to, my phone went off. I saw that my Uncle was calling me, I smiled and answered my phone to hear his excited voice.

“How’s my favorite niece doing?!”

“She’s fine, how’s Nashville? You almost ready for your game tonight?”

“Yes ma’am, just wanted to call you before we headed out onto the ice, will you be watching?” he asked and I giggled.

“I’ll catch the highlights tomorrow, I’m beat, Uncle P,” I said and my Uncle chuckled.

“I bet, you meet your roommates?”

“Just one, she’s nice-“

“That’s awesome, Kay, but I have to go, I’ll give you a call tomorrow,” Uncle P said and I sighed.

“All right, love you.”

“Love you too! The guys all say hey,” he said and I giggled, “They miss you.”

“I miss them too!” I said and then hung up the phone and went to sleep.

-Sidney-
“How’s Kay doing?” Coach asked and Pascal sighed.

“She’s doing all right, she’s nervous,” Pascal said and Coach nodded his head, “Hopefully I’ll get to see her when we go to Detroit.”

“I wanna see her too!” Jordan yelled and most of the guys agreed.

We played an away game against Nashville tonight and lost, most of it my fault, my head wasn’t in the game and missed most of my shots on goal. All I kept thinking about was Mckayla, and the guys could tell that my head was somewhere else. I was sad that Mckayla was gone, but was happy that she was safe, or at least I hoped that she was safe.

-Mckayla-
After watching the highlights from last night’s game and seeing that Sidney was playing off, I decided to finish unpacking my room and t’
hen go out to meet my other roommate, since the fourth one wasn’t here. Her name was Ashley and the one that wasn’t here was Anna, I was surrounded by ‘A’ names.

The three of us talked for a long time and then they decided that they were going to show me around the campus and show me where my classes were going to be. Alicia was a Journalism major, Ashley was an Anthropology major and Anna was a Sport Medicine major.

We spent the day getting to know one another, I learned that Alicia had a boyfriend here on campus and that Ashley was crushing on the guy that was down the hall. We were currently sitting in the campus coffee chop enjoying ourselves when two guys walked over towards us, one being really tall and the other, not so much.

“Ben! Hi!” Alicia said as she stood up, kissed the shorter guy and then I watched as the two guys pulled chairs over, “You guys know Ashley, well this is our new roommate Mckayla!”

“Hi, Mckayla, I’m Ben,” Ben said as he held out his hand and shook mine, “Nice to meet you.”

“Same,” I smiled and then looked at the other guy.

“Hi, I’m Danny,” he said and then smiled towards me and then shook my head, “So where are you from?”

“Florida,” I said and he nodded his head, he was really gorgeous, he was tall and built in all the right places. He had light brown hair, blue eyes and a cute smile.

“Yeah, but she transferred from Pittsburgh!” Alicia said and Danny smiled.

“Pitt, wow, you just keep going North, like the cold that much?” he asked and I giggled.

“I guess so,” I smiled and then the guys started to talk about a party that was this weekend.

“That’s sounds like fun,” Ashley said and then looked at me, “You want to go to a party, Mckayla?”

“Sure,” I said and everyone smile, ‘…Just be sure to stay with one of the girls at all times…’

They started talking about details for the party and I looked down at my phone to see that Mary, my old roommate, had texted me, asking how I liked my new school so far. I started a conversation with her and she was telling me about how their new roommate was nice, but she was a whore and had a new guy over all the time.

“Mckayla,” I heard and looked to see everyone looking at me, “We’re gunna head back to the apartment, that all right?”

“Sure,” I said and then grabbed my things, threw on my jackets and followed everyone out.

“So why did you leave Pitt?” Danny asked as we walked out of the shop and headed back to the apartment.

“Um, stuff happened there and I needed a change,” I said and he nodded his head, and I mentally thanked him for not continuing, “So, you look like you play a sport,” I giggled towards him because he was a giant.

“How can you tell?” he chuckled and I shrugged my shoulders, “You’re right, I’m on the football team.”

“Oh cool, what position?”

“Defensive tackle,” he said and I smiled, “You play a sport?”

“Me? No, I just watch them,” I said and we laughed and I noticed that we were in the back of the group, “So where are you from?”

“Not far, I’m just from Detroit,” he said and I smiled and nodded my head, “Not as nice as Florida, but-“

“Actually, I like the cold,” I said and Danny looked at me surprised, “I use to live in Canada, actually some of my family is still there.”

“Cool, a Canadian, so you’re a hockey person,” he said and I scoffed.

“Why does everyone think that just because I’m from Canada, I automatically like hockey?” I asked and Danny looked at me confused.

“So you don’t like hockey?”

“Don’t be silly, I love it,” I said and Danny chuckled, “So is football what you want to do with your life?”

“Yeah, I’ve wanted to play since I was little,” he said and I smiled, “But I’m majoring in Communications.”

“Cool,” I said and Danny nodded his head.

“What about you? What are you majoring in?” Danny asked and I smiled.

“I’m majoring in Public Relations and minoring in sports and business management,” I said and Danny looked impressed.

“What do you want to do with that?”

“I want to manage a hockey team,” I said and Danny laughed a little.

“Yeah, you’re not Canadian,” he said and we laughed.

“You two are very talkative,” Ashley said as she looked back towards us and smirked.

“Just getting to know each other,” Danny said and I smiled and nodded my head.

‘…Michigan isn’t too bad, though I miss Pittsburgh…’
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Ben and Danny

Image
Alicia, Anna, Ashley