Big Changes

022:

Chapter Twenty Two
“You sure you’ll be all right?” Sidney asked as he stood in front of my hotel room door with me.

“I’ll be fine-“

“Because I can stay with you tonight,” he said and I gave him a small smile, “Seriously, Kay, we don’t know where this creep is-“

“Sid, you’re just three floors above me, I’ll call you if something’s wrong,” I said and Sidney sighed and nodded his head, “I’m not going to be alone, Alicia’s here.”

“Does she know?” he asked and I looked at him.

“About Wes?” I asked, his very name sending shivers down my spine.

“Yeah,” he said and I sighed and shook my head.

“No, no one does,” I said and then felt Sidney’s hand on my cheek and I looked up towards him.

“I wish you were still in Pittsburgh, I could protect you better,” he said and I smiled a little.

“Sid, even if I still was there, you can’t watch me twenty four seven,” I said and Sidney sighed and nodded his head, “It’s late and you have a flight to catch in the morning.”

“What time are you two leaving?”

“As soon as we wake up,” I answered and Sidney chuckled.

“Have a good night, Kay,” Sidney said and then stared into my eyes for a few seconds, he started to lean down and I don’t know why I was getting excited, but when his lips touched my forehead, I was really disappointed.

“You too, Sid,” I said and then went into my room to see Alicia sitting on the end of her bed looking at me.

“You have a lot of explaining to do,” she said and I looked at her and sighed, “I thought you liked Danny!”

“I do!” I said and Alicia scoffed.

“Then what the hell was that with Sidney Crosby, the dude is obviously in love with you!” Alicia said and I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“It’s nothing, Alicia,” I said and sat on the end of my bed and laid back, ‘…Something that will never happen…’

“Kayla,” I heard and turned my head towards Alicia, “Why were you acting so weird during the game? And why did Crosby ask if we ‘knew’ something?”

“Were you eavesdropping?”

“You were being loud enough to hear,” she said and I sighed and sat up.

“I guess there’s something I need to tell you,” I said and then turned my head towards Alicia.

“Tell me what?”

“The truth.”

“The truth? About what?” she asked and I sighed.

“The real reason why I left Pittsburgh,” I said and then rubbed my face and looked towards the ground.

“Did you and Crosby go at it or something?” she asked and I shook my head.

“When I was at school, I was- I,” I took a deep breath and then ran my fingers through my hair, “I was rapped.”

“By Crosby?!” she asked and my eyes widened.

“NO!” I said and she relaxed, “His name was Wes,” I said and sighed, “And the reason why I was acting weird, was because I saw him tonight.”

“Wait, they never caught the creep?” Alicia asked and I shook my head.

“He’s apparently very good at running and hiding,” I said and Alicia got up and walked over towards me and hugged me.

“I’m sorry, Kay,” she said and I nodded my head and hugged her back, “I won’t make you talk about it anymore, let’s get some sleep.”

“All right, did you get your chance to talk to Ben?” I asked and she nodded her head.

“Ben says that Danny’s having a hard time with his niece,” Alicia said and I sighed.

“When does his family come back?”

“Monday night,” she said and I looked at her.

“He has class,” I said and she nodded her head.

“Danny doesn’t have class until two on Monday’s, he going to leave Monday morning, his cousin or something is going to watch the niece until his family comes back,” Alicia said and I nodded my head, “Maybe you should go see him.”

“I don’t know, I wasn’t invited.”

“Trust me, Kay, he can use all the help he can get,” Alicia said and I sighed.

“Do you have the address? I don’t know how to get there,” I said and Alicia smiled and held up her phone.

“Already got it from Ben,” she said and I laughed.

“You planned this.”

“Maybe,” she said and we both laughed before getting comfortable in the bed and falling asleep.

-Sidney-
“I’m surprised you didn’t sleep in front of her door,” Pascal said as I walked down the hall back towards my room.

“We’re only three floors up, she’ll call me if something goes wrong,” I said and he chuckled.

“That you talking or Mckayla?” he asked and I sighed, “Thought so.”

“I’m gunna go change,” I said, wanting to change out of my suit for a pair of sweats.

“Sid,” Pascal called and I turned my head, “A word of advice, man to man,” he said and I nodded my head, “Get them before their gone. I almost pulled the same mistake you’re doing.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Carol,” he said and I looked at him confused on why he was talking about his wife, “I loved her the moment I met her and I almost didn’t go after her because I was scared. I’m glad I did, a lot of things wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t go after her.”

“What are you talking about, Duper?”

“I can see that you like Mckayla,” he said and I sighed and looked towards the ground, “Do something before someone else does something first.”

“But she lives in Michigan, that’s like a six out drive from Pittsburgh.”

“No one ever said it was going to be easy,” he said and then walked into his room, leaving me in the hallway alone.

-Mckayla-
After saying goodbye to everyone, Alicia and I were on the road by nine in the morning. I drove the way back and we got back to campus almost around one. I decided that I was going to go see Danny, so I packed a bag, got the address off of Alicia and then was back in my jeep.

I didn’t realize that he didn’t know that I was coming until I was on his front porch knocking on the door. He had opened the door and was surprised and happy to see me, he needed help with the baby he practically crushed me in a hug because he was so happy to see help.

“I’m so happy you’re here,” Danny said and I laughed and put my bag down.

“Yeah, I heard you the first ten times,” I giggled and Danny smiled and shrugged his shoulders, “Where’s your niece?”

“Napping,” he said and then I looked past him to see a little girl crawling into the living room.

“Uh, you sure about that?” I asked and Danny turned around and sighed.

“Katie, how did you get out of your crib?” he asked as he walked over towards her, picked her up and then walked into the other room. I ended up following him and watching as he placed the pretty little girl in her crib and started to play her lullaby music. We slowly walked out of the room and into the living room, where the TV was turned on low to the sports channel, “So, how was the game?”

“Awesome, Pittsburgh won in a shootout,” I smiled and Danny chuckled and nodded his head.

“I know, caught the end of the game after putting Katie to bed. For like the fifth time,” he said and I smiled.

“So I’m guessing that the time with your niece has been hard?” I asked and Danny nodded his head. I giggled and looked at us. We were both sitting on the couch, he has his arms along the back of the couch, feet propped on the coffee table, and I was next to him curled in a little ball, just smiling towards him.

“So uh,” Danny started and looked at me, “Are we going to talk about that kiss?” I blinked a few times and then looked down, knowing that I was blushing, “Because I don’t know about you, but I really enjoyed that.”

“I did too,” I said as I slowly looked up and smiled towards him.

Danny moved on the couch so that he was facing me better, “And I wouldn’t mind doing it again,” he said as he leaned in, his hand moving to my thigh as his other arm stayed on the back of the couch.

I smiled towards him, placed my hands on his shoulders, leaned up a little and finished the gap by pressing my lips against his, ‘…Oh, he smells so good…’