Big Changes

026:

Chapter Twenty Six
“Wow, some party I missed,” I heard and turned around and nearly froze, “Hey Kay.”

“Sid?” I asked, a smile on my face as I saw the man approaching the dying fire.

“It’s good to see you,” he said and I laughed, jumped up and ran over towards him. I ran and jumped into his arms, happy to see him.

“I thought you couldn’t make it?” I asked and Sidney sighed.

“Well my interview was this morning and I told Dan that I would talk to him when I got back, I really wanted to see you, and you sounded really sad when I said I couldn’t make it,” he said and I smiled brightly and then hugged him again. He looked towards everyone and then chuckled, “Some party.”

“Yeah, it’s pretty died down,” I said and Sidney walked over towards the chest and pulled out a beer and I grabbed a water, “So how’d you find out where we were?”

“Staalsy,” Sidney answered and I giggled and shook my head.

“Ah, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan,” I laughed and Sidney smirked, threw his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his chest.

“Walk with me, Kay,” he said and I smiled and nodded my head. I wrapped my arms around Sidney’s chest and leaned into him as we walked down the beach, “How’s school?”

“It’s going well, I like my classes.”

“That’s good,” Sidney said and we sat next to each other on the sand, facing the ocean, “So how’s the beach treating you?”

“I got a nice tan,” I smiled and Sidney chuckled.

“Gronk said that your friend likes the team?” Sidney said and I laughed and nodded my head.

“Oh God, if he sees you, he’s gunna freak!” I smiled and leaned into him, “It’s so good to see you Sid.”

“I know, I missed you too,” he said and I nodded my head, “How’s the Wes situation?”

I frowned and looked towards the sand, “They haven’t caught him yet and I haven’t seen him since the game.”

“How can one person hide for so long?” Sidney asked and I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.

“Can we not talk about him?” I asked and Sidney nodded his head.

“Yeah, sorry, it was stupid,” Sidney said and rubbed my back, “So who are your friends?”

“Um well, there’s Alicia, Ashley, Anna, Ben and Danny,” I said and Sidney looked back towards the fire.

“Most of them are asleep,” he said and I giggled and nodded my head.

“Ben’s probably passed out drunk,” I said and Sidney chuckled and took a swig of his beer, “Danny’s just tired, he got up pretty early to get this all started.”

“He did a good job,” Sidney said and I laughed, “What sport does he play?”

“How can you tell?”

“I’m just that good,” Sidney smirked and I smiled and rolled my eyes.

“He’s a football player,” I said and Sidney scoffed, “Shut up!”

“What position?”

“Defensive tackle, but he told me his Coach is thinking about moving him to the offensive line,” I said and Sidney nodded his head, “What’s with all the questions?”

“Nothing, just want to get to know your friends,” he said and I shrugged my shoulders, “Do you miss it?”

“What?”

“Pittsburgh?” Sidney asked and I sighed.

“Of course I miss it, I miss you and the guys, Mary, Melanie and Lori, I miss the campus, the city,” I said and sighed, “But I like Michigan, I like the people, and I found someone.”

“What?” Sidney asked confused and I looked at him and then smiled towards Danny, “The football player?”

“Yeah, Danny’s good to me,” I said and looked back towards Sidney to see that he had a hard and hurtful look on his face, “What?”

“Nothing,” Sidney said quickly and then looked away, “Just didn’t think you would move that fast.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked and looked at him confused.

“Well, the Wes incident happened- What? Six months ago?” Sidney asked and I glared at him, “Didn’t think that you would recover so fast.”

“Screw you, Sid!” I growled and Sidney looked at me confused, “I surround myself with friends to try and forget, Danny is there for me and understands why I don’t want to move to fast.”

“And he’s all right with that?” Sidney scoffed and took a swig of his beer.

“Yes!” I snapped and Sidney shook his head.

“I highly doubt that,” Sidney said and I punched his shoulder, “What?!”

“Sid, why can’t you be happy that I found someone who likes me for me and not for my body?!” I growled as I stood up and looked at Sidney angry.

“Mckayla, all I’m saying is that someone like that is not willing to wait, he’s probably cheating on you?” Sidney said as he stood in front of me.

I shook my head and glared at him, “Why are you being like this?”

“Because!” Sidney snapped and threw his beer on the ground, “He doesn’t deserve you!”

“What the hell are you talking about Sid?” I growled, “I’m the one who doesn’t deserve him! I’m the one who’s damaged, who has issues! Me! Not him!”

“You’re not damaged, Kay,” Sidney said and I sighed.

“Yes, I am,” I said and shook my head, “I let someone rap me, I’m weak.”

“Kay! That was not your fault! I told you that!” Sidney said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“Look, just meet him, Sid,” I said and looked at Sidney, “I think you’ll like him.”

“Why on earth would I ‘like’ him?” Sidney said and I scoffed.

“You know what- Forget it!” I said and turned around, wanting to head back to Danny.

“No, Kay wait! All right, all right, I’ll meet him,” Sidney said and grabbed my wrist so that I would look back towards him and sighed, nodding my head and looking back towards the dying party.

“Tomorrow, everyone’s mostly falling asleep,” I said and Sidney nodded his head and let go of my wrist.

-Sidney-
I was sitting on the beach looking at the moon’s reflection on the water, I had to grab another beer because I finished the last one.

“Hey man! I didn’t know you were here!” I heard and turned to see Max coming over towards me.

“You finish with your girls?” I asked and Max chuckled and sat next to me on the beach and popped open his beer.

“Yeah, they were pretty good,” he said and I smirked and shook my head, “When did you get here?”

“About two hours ago,” I said and took a swig my beer.

“You see Kay?” he asked and I nodded my head.

“And her new boyfriend,” I scoffed and shook my head.

“You act like that in front of her?” Max asked and I looked at him and sighed, “I see why she’s a little angry now.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Her and Vero were talking before and she looked angry, I thought she was mad at the new beau for something, guess I know why now,” Max said and I sighed, “Look man, I know you love her, but you have to give her time. She probably doesn’t see it yet,” he said and I sighed.

“She probably never will, not with tall built and- That!” I said and Max laughed and patted my shoulder.

“Dude, you’re Sidney Crosby, girls practically throw themselves at you!”

“I don’t want girls,” I said and sighed, “I want a woman, I want Mckayla.”

“Mon ami, you’re too young to be thinking like that,” Max said and I sighed and shook my head, “Just focus on your career right now. No doubt that Mckayla will be there in the future. As long as Duper’s with the Pens, she’s not going anywhere,” he said and I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.

“You think she likes me?”

Max scoffed and took a swig of his beer, “Not right now, I don’t know what you said but you annoyed her.”

“She wants me to meet her boyfriend,” I said and Max laughed a little.

“That’s a one hundred percent ‘Awkward’,” he said and I smirked and nodded my head.

“Tell me about it,” I said and sighed.

“So what are you going to do?” Max said and I sighed.

“I’m going to meet him. I’ll be her friend, but I’ll also be here when she wants to try something,” I said and Max laughed and ruffled my hair.

“Women, can’t live with them, can’t live without them!”