Big Changes

028:

Chapter Twenty Eight
“Come on Danny!” I cheered happily in the stands as I stood with my friends and watched as my boyfriend was on the field running towards the end for a touchdown.

Six months have passed since the last time I spoke with Sidney, he hasn’t called, texted, emailed, nothing, and I haven’t done the same. I was there when the boys won the cup, Danny was with me because my Uncle and parents wanted to meet him, they all like him. Sidney saw me, but didn’t say a word to me, didn’t want me to hug him when we were all back in the locker room, nothing. I was upset about that, but if wanted to be that way, then fine. Danny and I partied with the guys that night and even the others that never met him liked him.

During the summer, I was back and forth between Florida and Michigan, I wanted to see my friends and family, but I also wanted to be with Danny as well. However, when football practice started and Danny learned that not only was he moving from Defense to Offense, the Coach moved him from a defensive tackle to a wide receiver, that was a big change and Danny was nervous that he was going to screw up.

Fall semester had begun and it was Ashley, Anna, Ben and Danny’s senior year, they were going to graduate in Spring of 2010, I was going graduate in Fall of 2010 and Alicia was going to graduate in Spring of 2011. Danny wanted to get drafted to the NFL, and from what I heard from some of his teammates, during summer practice, he had a lot of people looking at him.

“TOUCHDOWN!!!” Alicia and I screamed, hugged each other and jumped up and down.

It was the third game in the season, against their rival, Michigan State, and we were now up by two touchdowns, thanks to Danny who just received his first touchdown.

“All right, Danny!!!” I yelled, hoping that he would hear me but knowing that he couldn’t from the roar of the students.

By the end of the game, we won the game with the final score being 31-7. I told the others that I was going to head down towards the locker rooms and meet up with Danny. He had showed me before the season started on how to get down there and where to wait for him.

I must have waited for almost forty five minutes, but I heard my name and saw Danny walking down the hall with three of his teammates following him.

“Mc-kay-la!” Eric, Danny’s teammate and friend called happily as he hopped over towards me and hugged me, “Did you see your boy out there?”

“I did,” I laughed and then smiled and placed my hands on Danny’s chest when he walked over towards me, “You were awesome, congrats on your first goal-“

“Touchdown,” Danny said and I laughed and nodded my head.

“You got it in the second period-“

“Quarter,” Eric corrected and I groaned and leaned my head against his chest.

“Sorry, my brain’s hardwired for hockey,” I laughed and Danny smiled, placed his hand on my cheek and then pressed his lips against mine.

I heard the guys cheering and whistling, “Danny-boy’s getting’ laid tonight!”

“Hey, hey, hey, shut up!” Danny yelled as I blushed against his chest.

The guys teased him, they meant well, only wanting to have some fun after their big win. They weren’t able to attend a Bowl game last year because they didn’t do well, they were hoping to make it to one this year.

Danny wrapped his arm around my neck and I wrapped my arm around his waist, we walked with the guys out of the stadium and headed over towards three golf carts that were parked on the side.

“Some of the guys need to head over to the athlete center, you want me to drop you off at your apartment?” Danny asked and I smiled.

“You can go straight to the center, the apartment is only right around the corner,” I said and Danny smirked and nodded his head.

Danny got into the driver’s seat and I hopped into the passenger seat while Eric and another teammate got on the back. Danny didn’t wait for the others, he turned the cart on and started to head across campus to the athlete’s center.

As he parked the cart in front of the center, my phone went off saying that Uncle P had texted me. I opened the text and saw that he was telling me to tell Danny about his touchdown, I smiled at the fact that Uncle P was paying attention to my boyfriend’s accomplishments.

“I’ll see ya later, babe,” Danny said and I held up my phone and showed Danny the text, “Thank you Uncle for me?” he asked and I smiled and nodded my head. Danny pressed his lips against mine and then headed into the center with his teammates. The doctors just wanted to help the sore muscles and make sure that they weren’t hurt during the game.

I walked back to the apartment and headed up to our room to find everyone in the living room, “Where’s Danny?”

“Athlete center, he’ll be over in a little bit,” I said and they nodded their heads, “Uncle P texted me telling Danny that he said congrats.”

“That’s nice of him, that means that he’s paying attention,” Alicia said and I smiled and nodded my head.

“Yeah, I know.”

“Have you talked to Crosby?” Anna asked and I sighed and shook my head, “What about any other the others?”

“Oh yeah, Jordan and I talk almost every day,” I said and then sat on the couch, “In fact I talk with TK, Tanger, Gronk, Talbo, Geno and Flower all the time.”

“That’s good, at least they didn’t stop talking to you after- Well, you know,” Alicia said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“Are the guys ready for preseason to start?” Ben asked and I smiled and nodded my head.

“Yeah, their first game is on Tuesday,” I said and he nodded his head.

“So when do you start your internship?” Anna asked Alicia.

“Next week, right after class on Monday through Thursdays, I need to head down to the newspaper and start,” Alicia said and I smiled.

“That’s cool, that’s where you’re going to intern at?” I asked and Alicia nodded her head.

“Yeah, I think I’ll even be allowed to go with them to events and stuff.”

“Cool,” I said and then everyone started to talk about interning or graduate school.

“What are you going to do for interning, Kay?” Ashley asked and I sighed.

“Well, I have to take summer classes because next fall I’m going to be interning,” I said and the girls smiled.

“Where will you be interning?” they asked and I shrugged my shoulders.

“I don’t know yet, I put my resume into a few different places,” Is aid and they nodded their heads.

“A hockey team?” Ben asked and I smiled and nodded my head, “What teams?”

“Well, since my advisor said that I didn’t need to be here for an intern, as long as my classes were complete, I could go anywhere. But I wanted to stick close, I put in for Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Columbus and Pittsburgh.”

“Will you go if you got accepted to Pittsburgh?” Alicia asked.

“Probably not, I just want to see if I can get in. I’d rather got to Detroit or Chicago,” I said and they smiled and nodded their heads.

“Go for Detroit more, for Danny’s sake-“

“And us too!” Alicia said as she slapped Ben for his comment.

I laughed and shook my head, “I’ll be commuting back and forth between here and where ever I’m going, so I’d prefer Detroit.”

“Why do you have to commute?”

“Because I need to personally hand in my notes to whoever I need to hand them to,” I said and sighed, “It’s a big pain in the ass.”

“I’ll say,” Ben said.

“So, let’s say you got your internship, you graduate, and then you’re going for a job,” Anna started, “Where would you go?”

“Um, to be honest,” I said and they nodded their heads, “I’m kind of waiting to see if Danny’s going to be drafted. Where ever he goes, I’ll go.”

“What if he goes to a place where there’s no hockey?” Ben asked and I sighed.

“Then I’ll PR for some other sport,” I said trying to sound sure, but really wanting to do nothing but hockey.

“Awww, you’re a good girlfriend,” Alicia said and I smiled and shrugged my shoulders.

There was a knock on the door, Anna got up to get it and we saw Danny walk into the room, “Hey, there’s out superstar!” Ben yelled and I laughed, “How are you feeling?”

“Pretty good, I’m so tired,” he said as he plopped on the couch and laid his head on my lap, “I wanted to get a nap in before we go out to the party.”

“Party? What party?” I asked and Danny looked up at me as I ran my fingers through his hair.

“Oh, the guys said theirs a party at one of the frats.”

“A frat party?” Alicia asked and then looked at Ben, “I’ve been here since freshman year and never have I gone to a Frat party!”

“Well then let’s go!” Ben said and she smiled and nodded her head.

“I don’t know about-“

“Come on Kay, let’s go, if it gets bad we’ll leave,” Danny said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“All right, we’ll go.”