Big Changes

036:

Chapter Thirty Six
“Hey Kayla!”

“Yeah?”

“Can you get me the tape of Tazer’s post-game interview please?” my coworker, Andrew asked me and I nodded my head, “Dave wants me to go over to it before we post it.”

“Yeah, I’ll email that to you right now,” I said and typed away at my computer and found what he needed and sent that to him.

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

“Kayla!” I heard and looked up to see another coworker, Samantha, “Incoming, Mr. Player.”

“Great,” I muttered.

“Mc-kay-la!” I heard and wanted to hide under my desk as none other than Patrick Kane appeared in my doorway.

“Pat, what can I do for you?” I asked as I tried to make myself look busy at my computer.

“Mckayla, you’ve been with us for what- A year?”

“Maybe.”

“And we still never had that date that you promised me.”

“I don’t recall any promises, Pat,” I said and smirked towards him.

“What? I do believe that it was made in January of 2012,” he said and I scoffed.

“You know that it’s a little weird that you know exactly when I started here,” I said and he smirked and sat on my desk.

“What? That I notice when a beautiful woman joined our team?” he asked and I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“You bothering her again, Kaner?” I heard and looked past Patrick to see Captain Serious, Jonathan Toews, standing there.

“I thought you were supposed to keep an eye on him,” I said to Jonathan and he shrugged his shoulders and walked into my office as well.

“You know him, he thinks with his dick,” Jonathan said and Patrick smirked and nodded his head, “That’s nothing to be proud of.”

“Not when my dick is getting a lot of action,” he said and I rolled my eyes.

“Nice way to talk in front of a lady, Kaner.”

“At least he has manners,” I said and Jonathan smirked and sat in the chair in front of my desk.

It was Spring of 2013, three years have passed, I graduated college in Fall of 2010, ended up doing my internship with the Tampa Bay Lightning. My advisor let me email my journals in every weekend. Being in Tampa Bay allowed me to stay with my parents and see my old friends. I became friends with some of the Lightnings and found them to be nice guys. I haven’t spoken to Sidney since the last time I talked to him, he never texted me back, so I just gave up. I talk to Jordan, Kris, Geno and Uncle P all the time, even now, but not really any of the others.

After I graduated I threw my resume out in every direction in the NHL and AHL world, the Chicago Wolves, among many others, contacted me. I took their job offer, and worked with the AHL team from the end of July to December. I was in my office, it was right before Christmas when I got a call from my boss, he wanted to talk to me. I thought I was in trouble, but was surprise to find out that he was complementing me for a good job I’ve been doing during the months that I was with them, he was offering me a position with the Blackhawks, a raise, I would have been crazy to turn it down.

So, January of 2012 I started to work in the Communications and Technology department for the Chicago Blackhawks. I knew I’ve always grown up wanted to become a Public Relations manager, but Communications is close enough.

Ok, so I lied, I did see Sidney, last year at Jordan’s wedding, but I’m pretty sure that he was too drunk to remember since he was hitting on every single girl, but I didn’t really talk to him, and I’m not sure if he even saw me. I was even there when Jordan got the call that he was being traded to Carolina and learning that he was going to be playing with his brother, Eric.

All of my college friends are doing well, they each grew up and have their own lives, Alicia and Ben are getting married in this summer coming up and I couldn’t wait to attend it. Danny and my relationship was a little shaky but all right, we were talking as his senior year came to an end, I told him what happened in Pittsburgh and we had our argument, but it was over and we were talking again within a week, although, our relationship was over. He’s not a wide receiver for the Baltimore Ravens, was brought up last year and I was so happy for him.

“So Kayla, who do you think is going to win the cup this year? Playoffs are coming up,” Patrick said and I scoffed and rolled my eyes as I started type up a report about the interviews from last night’s game for my boss.

“Is that a trick question? I know what team you want me to say, but-“

“No! Not buts!” Patrick said and I laughed and turned in my chair to look at him.

“I wouldn’t mind if you played the Pens in the finals and we’ll see from there,” I said and Jonathan rolled his eyes.

“She’s a Crosby fan,” Patrick said and I scoffed, “No? Malkin?”

“I like Geno, but no- I’m a Dupuis fan,” I smiled brightly and the two smirked and shook their heads, knowing that my Uncle was Pascal Dupuis, “And I always will be, no matter what team he’s on,” I said as I turned the picture on my desk of Uncle P and I together at the first NHL game I saw him in with the Penguins.

Jonathan picked the picture up and nodded his head, “All right, that’s fair.”

“You can’t cheer for both teams!” Patrick said and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m cheering for my Uncle and the Blackhawks, you don’t like it, get over it Pattie,” I said and Jonathan smirked.

“Leave her alone, Pat, she’s fine,” Jonathan said and I nodded my head, “So does that mean that you’re going to stick close to the locker room when we’re in Pittsburgh?” he asked, because of the lockout this season, the schedules were weird and Chicago never got the chance to play against Pittsburgh, so it’ll be interesting when we get to the playoffs.

“To your locker room or the Pens?” I asked.

“Pens-“

“No,” I said sharply, not even looking at them.

“Whoa, why not?” Patrick asked.

“Personal,” I said and sighed and looked at the guys, “Ok, I’m really busy, so shoo.”

“We’re being kicked out, Tazer,” Patrick whined and I rolled my eyes.

“Come on,” Jonathan said as he grabbed Patrick’s shirt, “See ya, Kayla.”

“Bye beautiful.”

“Bye guys,” I said and sighed when Jonathan closed the door to my office and I looked down to see that my hands were shaking. I moved them around and then growled and shook my head, ‘…Fuckin’ Crosby…’

-Sidney-
“We play like this in April, we’ll be killing it in the playoffs,” I said to my team and they nodded their heads, “We beat Boston, we can do this.”

We just finished our away game in Boston and won with the final score four to one. I was taking my gear off to get ready for a shower when I saw Pascal smiling at his phone and then showing his phone off to Kunitz and Letang.

“Nice, she’s really good at that,” Kunitz said and I was confused as to what they were talking about.

“I know right, I’m pretty impressed,” Pascal said and Kris nodded his head.

“I wanna see,” Geno said as he went over and bent over to look at the phone, “Kay did this?”

“Yeah, isn’t it cool?” Pascal asked and Geno nodded his head.

‘…Kay, fuck…’ I thought as I looked towards the ground, ‘…I miss her…’

“What did Mckayla do?” James asked, “I still never met her, Duper!”

“And hopefully you never will, you’ll try to sleep with her within the first second!” Kris said and some of the guys laughed.

“What? That’s totally not true!”

“Please, that’s what happened to Crosby!” Cooke scoffed and James looked towards me.

“What?!” he asked and I rolled my eyes and looked down, “You never told me-“

“Drop it!” I snapped and James laughed

“What?”

“Don’t mind him, he’s just pissy because she dumped him,” Kris said and James laughed a little.

“Crosby actually got dumped?” James asked and I stood up, glared at him and headed for the showers.

“I said drop it!”

“Oh this is perfect, one of you need to show me her picture, what does she look like?!” James asked, he joined the team right when Mckayla decided that she wasn’t going to come around anymore.

“You were at Staalsy’s wedding, right?” Pascal asked.

“Yeah.

“She was there,” Geno said and James looked surprised.

“How did I miss her?!”

“You were drunk.”

“Oh,” James said and I rolled my eyes and went into the showers.