Big Changes

008:

Chapter Eight
I woke up to hearing someone’s phone going off, I didn’t recognized the tone so I knew it wasn’t mine. I inhaled a large amount of the morning air and smelled the scent of strawberries. I was confused when I felt pressure on my side and moved my head to see that I was sitting, not laying down. I brought my hands to my eyes and rubbed them opened.

I almost panicked when I saw Mckayla’s head on my chest, she was tucked under my arm and her one arm laid across my lap, her hand a little too close to my area. She had a blanket around her back and other arm on her lap. I looked on the coffee table, still hearing the phone going off. I saw that it was her phone and saw ‘Uncle P’ written on the screen.

‘…Fuck…’ I thought as I clearly remembered Pascal telling us to make sure that Mckayla got home, she didn’t get home. I moved a little and then froze when I felt Mckayla starting to move. I looked down and saw that she was moving her hand off of my lap and rubbing her eyes. I gulped and gave in, “Kay.”

“Hmmm?”

“We need to get up.”

“No, five more minutes Uncle P,” she muttered, sounding like she was barely awake.

“Kay,” I called and placed my hand on her back, “Wake up, it’s me.”

She opened her eyes and then looked at me, it took a second, but it must have clicked because her eyes widened and she jumped back a little, “I’m so sorry!”

“It’s all right, it’s all right! We both fell asleep!”

“Ah fuck! Uncle P is gunna kill me!” she said and then looked around and zeroed in on her phone on the table and practically dove for it, “Shit, he’s called seven times!”

“Don’t panic! Nothing happened!” he said and she looked at me and then took a deep breath, “Right?”

“No! We watched a movie and fell asleep!” she said and I sat back on the couch and nodded my head.

‘…Why do I have this feeling that I wished more had happened?...’ I thought as I placed my hand on my chest and sighed.

“Sid!” Mckayla called and I looked at her, “Will you give me a ride home?”

“Yeah,” I said and she jumped up and walked over towards me room. I thought that she was just grabbing her clothes, I followed her, big mistake, “Shit sorry!” I called as I saw that she had pulled my shirt off and saw that she was changing.

I knew my face was bright red, I could feel the heat. A few minutes later, Mckayla walked out of the room, she wasn’t even looking at me. I mentally cursed and then quickly went into my room and changed into jeans and a grey polo shirt. When I finished I grabbed wallet and then my keys, I looked towards Mckayla and saw that she had her stuff and we were out the door.

It didn’t take long to get to Pascal’s house. The front door was swung opened and an angry Pascal walked out.

“Mckayla! Where were you?!” Pascal asked and then saw me, “Was she with you all night?”

“Duper, we fell asleep while watching a movie-“

“So she was with you?” he asked and I nodded my head and looked towards Mckayla to see that she looked like she wanted to hide, “Oh thank god, I thought that Staalsy or Tanger took her home.”

“We didn’t go to the club,” Mckayla said and he looked at her and nodded his head.

“Ok,” he said and then took a deep breath, “Thanks for bringing her home, Sid.”

“You’re not mad?” Mckayla asked and Pascal shook his head.

“I’m just glad I didn’t go pounding on their doors looking for you,” he said and she smirked and rolled her eyes.

“You’re crazy,” she said and then walked over towards him and kissed his cheek, “Thanks for caring.”

“Get changed we’re heading out for breakfast,” he said and Mckayla nodded her head, “Join us Sid?”

“Um-“

“Come on, Sid,” Mckayla said and I looked at her and saw her smiled and couldn’t help but nod my head, “Great, let me go change.”

“All right,” Pascal said and then nudged his head towards me for me to come in the house.

‘…Oh boy…’ I thought as I shoved my hands in my pockets and followed Pascal into his house, “Duper, I didn’t mean-“

“It’s fine Sid,” he said and I looked at him confused, “I’m happy that she was with you, I trust you.”

“Thanks,” I said and he nodded my head.

“Like I said before,” he said and then looked at me, “Don’t hurt her.”

-Mckayla-
Nerves were high tonight, it was Game Six of the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals. Games One, Two and Four were won by Detroit, while Games Three and Five were won be Pittsburgh. The Penguins needed to win tonight’s game in order to have a chance at Game Seven, if they didn’t win, the Red Wings won the 2008 Stanley Cup.

It was the beginning of the final period, the score was two to one Detroit and all Penguins fans were nervous. They were even more nervous when seven minutes into the period, Zetterberg snapped the puck past Fleury and earned Detroit another goal, making the score three to one.

I mentally cursed over and over as I sat in my chair way up in the family suite, sitting next to Vero and Aunt Carol. Everyone cheered when Hossa scored a goal in less than two minutes in the game, making the score three to two.

‘…They’re not going to win…’ I thought sadly as I stood up, had my hands covering my mouth and looked at the ice, ‘…Come on boys, please prove me wrong…’

The buzzard went off, the game was over, Detroit had won the Stanley cup. I feeling of utter sadness past through my body and I wanted to cry and hug every single one of them. We watched as the player handshake was finished and the Penguins skated off of the ice, silently sulking towards their locker room while Detroit fans cheered and watched as their team hurried over towards the large Stanley Cup.

“I’m gunna head down,” I said to Aunt Carol and she nodded her head.

By the time I got down there and managed to get past the press and other family, Sidney was showered and gone and the other guys mopping out of the locker room. I ran over towards Uncle P and hugged him, after I pulled away he went to Aunt Carol and I went over towards Max and Jordan. I made my way through every player.

When I got to Marc, I hugged him and looked around, “Where’s Sid?”

“We knew he didn’t want to deal with the press, we told him to hurry up and get out of here,” Marc said and I nodded my head, “He’ll probably want to be by himself.”

“All right,” I said and then made my way back to Uncle P. The drive back to his home was silent, I had a feeling that it would be.

When we got home, I went to the room that I had called my own for the past week and collapsed onto my bed. I laid there for about twenty minutes, just staring at the ceiling and thinking about the game. When I thought of Sidney, it hit me hard in my heart, he was probably home alone miserable. I climbed out of bed and threw my shoes back on and headed out the door and down the stairs. Uncle P and Aunt Carol were sitting in the kitchen talking.

“Kay? What’s up?” Aunt Carol asked as she noticed me first.

“Can I borrow the car?” I asked and Uncle P looked at me confused. I don’t know if he read my mind or understood why I was asking, but he nodded his head, dug for the keys in his pocket and threw them towards me.

“Be careful, Kay!” he called as I had already turned around and was heading for the front door.

It was late, almost midnight when I started on the road heading towards the Lemieux estate. It took me a little while to reach there, it was pouring by the time I reached the driveway, I went up to the gate and saw the keypad and cursed. I stared at the keypad for a little bit and sighed.

There was a knock on my window and I screamed, nearly jumping out of my skin but then calming down when I saw that it was only Mario. I rolled down the window and gave him an awkward wave.

“Mckayla? What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to check up on Sid, I know he’s going to be upset about the loss and I wanted to be there for him,” I said and Mario gave me a little smile and nodded his head.

“I didn’t mean to scare you,” he said and I gave a little giggle and watched as he typed the code into the keypad, “Its Ninety-three, sixty-six, just so you know.”

“Thanks,” I said and watched as the gate opened and saw Mario walking back towards his car.

I took a deep breath and pulled into the estate and headed over towards the entrance that Sidney used. I parked the car and ran towards the door, but it was no use, as I waited for the door to open, I was getting soaked. I saw that his car was there and knocked again. I waited for about a minute and was about to leave when I heard the door open and turned to see a depressed Sidney there.

“Kay? What are you doing there?” he asked as I saw that he must have just gotten out of the shower. He looked clean and his playoff beard, or attempt at a playoff beard, was shaven off, “Get in here! You’ll freeze!” Sidney grabbed my hand and pulled me into his home and closed the door, “You’re already shivering!”

Sidney turned around and ran into his room, he reappeared a few minutes later with clothes and a blanket and told me to change into the warm clothes. I did as I was told and walked into the living room to see Sidney standing there waiting for me.

“I just wanted to make sure that you were all right,” I said and looked at the ground, “I didn’t want you to be alone.”

“Kay,” I heard and looked up to see him walking towards me, “I’ll be all right, I just- I just need some time to think.”

“I don’t want to leave you alone Sid!” I said and then went up to him and wrapped my arms around his waist.

“Mckayla,” he said and then hugged me tight and I felt his head on top of mine, “Thank you.”