Status: In progress

Something I Need

Keira

I wandered down the street, keeping my eyes peeled for the building I was searching for. I narrowly avoided a melting pile of snow, squinting at the small signs on the buildings around me that stated their names. I finally sighted the one I was looking for, letting out a small sigh of relief as I headed towards it, pulling off my gloves and hat as I headed up the stairs.

The beginning of a new semester was always frustrating, if not for the new teachers, new material, and new classmates, then for finding your new classes. I was only in my second semester at Concordia University in Montreal, and three out of my five courses the previous semester had been in the same building. I had counted it a blessing at the time, but now I wasn't so sure.

I was attending Concordia on a scholarship. Born just outside of Vancouver, I was used to big city living - but living it on your own was a completely different story. Not to mention that the city was completely different - and most of it was in a different language. So, going from Vancouver to Montreal had been quite the culture shock, but the scholarship was paying for my entire tuition and I just couldn't turn it down.

I did like Montreal, and the university was a great school. I only spoke a bit of French, but luckily it seemed that most students and staff spoke English very well. My classes had been good so far, and my roommate and I got along quite well. I had made a few friends in my program, and I was thankful for them. But despite all the good, I really missed my friends and family from back home.

I found a seat in the middle of the room and excused myself as I passed through the aisle. Students continued filing in, and I fiddled with my phone as I waited for my world history class to begin. I smiled as I read a text from my best friend Abby, who was attending the University of British Columbia. She was rambling about the cute boy she had sat next to in her economics class, and I took a quick glance around to see if there were any cute boys in my peripheral vision. There were a few, and I texted Abigail back with this news. The difference between the two of us was that she would probably go for it, whereas I would just sit and focus on school while enjoying the view. That was just the way it was.

I put my phone away as my professor began to talk. After a while, I stopped paying attention, since he was discussing things that would be on a sheet he would put online later. I scanned the room absentmindedly, noting that the majority of students were doing the same as me. The girl beside me yawned loudly, and I looked over at her. She grinned sheepishly in response, muttering a quiet apology and I laughed with her. I racked my brain, but I didn't think I had ever seen her before.

When the class finally ended, I headed out into the cold winter air and took a deep breath. I checked my phone, noticing I had a message from my roommate, Dani. We were meeting up for lunch, and she had just informed me that she was already sitting down. It was beginning to snow; I pulled my hat and gloves on, and began my trek through the streets to the cafeteria.
♠ ♠ ♠
Small intro chapter :)

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! Hope you're all well. I have a bit of spare time so I should be updating a lot of stories. I had a rough go there for a while, and wasn't writing for a long time. I seem to be back on track, and hope you guys enjoy the new stuff and the continuing stories.

Thanks for reading!

xo, Leslie