Status: In progress

Something I Need

Lena

Alex had been anxious to tell me something all day, and it was only this evening that I had a couple of hours to spare before getting back to schoolwork. He decided to take me out to dinner, a late dinner considering my class didn’t finish until 7:30.

He texted me that he was here, so I grabbed my purse and phone and headed out to meet him. I saw him at the door, pockets in his coat to keep warm. His face lit up as he saw me and he gave me a quick wave and a smile before I opened the door.

“Hey!” he said, “I’ve been excited to see you all day”

“You seemed really anxious on the phone. I’ve been a bit nervous”

He led me down the stairs, around the dorm building and down to the parking lot, “Well, I was going to wait until we got to the restaurant but this is going to completely blow it”

“Wait, what is?”

We stopped in front of a sleek black car, a really expensive looking car. I looked up at Alex in confusion and then looked at it again, “Why do you have a car? You weren’t sure if you were staying so you said that—“

“I made the team” he said, “We had the last cuts today and I made it”

I suddenly couldn’t feel the cold as I leaped into him and wrapped my arms around him. I don’t think I have ever held on so tightly, “I’m so proud of you” I murmured into his shoulder, “I knew you could do it”

He pulled back and placed his hand on my cheek, meeting my gaze for a moment, “I just had to tell you. I’ve been wanting to tell you all day. I don’t know how I held it in. And I have to admit, the car isn’t brand new, it’s a few years old, this contract is a little smaller because of the lockout, but I’m staying”

I was still in a bit of shock, “I don’t think I was really prepared for you to have to go back”

“Good” he smiled a bit and then leaned down to kiss me. My hand rested on his cheek now and he was cold, but his lips weren’t and I felt like this kiss meant the beginning of a whole new chapter for both of us.

“Dinner?” he asked as he pulled away.

I nodded, “Be a gentleman?”

He smirked and opened the car door for me and closed it, walking around to the driver’s side and climbing in, “Everything’s perfect now right? We’re together and you’re playing. Nothing could ever ruin this.”

“I love you” he said. He sat for a moment before starting the car, “I really love you”

I nodded and then reached over for his hand, “I know. And I love you too. No more worrying now. No more stress. You’re here and everything is going to be perfect”

--

Wednesday had come and Keira and I were meeting to discuss how our work has been going and to start putting the project together.

I stepped into the library, a fairly huge building and found the stairs up to the next floor where there were reference sections and quiet study rooms. Keira had texted me that she had gotten a study room and directed me to which part of the library she was in. I found the room and she quickly unlocked the door.

“Hey!” she said, “How are you?”

“Great” I responded, “You?”

“I’m good” I set my bags down and unbundled myself from my multiple layers, “Cold day” she said.
“Spring cannot come any sooner” I laughed, finally sitting down.

We spent a good hour putting research together, finding new things and even criticizing each other. We decided to take a break and head down to the café to grab a snack. I really needed a coffee, and a cookie.

“So Brendan made the team” she said as we both sat down. It seemed like she really wanted to get that out.

“That’s great!” I replied, “So did Alex!”

“That’s awesome!”

“So that hang out might actually happen then” I replied, breaking a piece off my chocolate chip cookie.

“It just might” she laughed, “I mentioned it to him and he said he would talk to Alex”

I shrugged, “I never really mentioned it to him, but I figured he would have no issue with it”

She nodded, “I’m just really…” she paused for a moment, “…excited that he’s staying” I think she slightly blushed and tried to hide a smile by taking sip of coffee.

I didn’t address the tell, but I knew there was something, however small, there, “I’m happy for you. It’s always nice to have someone you know nearby, a friend”

She nodded, “A friend…”

I finished my cookie and sighed, “I suppose we should try and do some more work, we’re getting really close to finishing. Another hour tonight, maybe another meeting, and I think we’ll be set”

She let out a long breath and nodded, “Awesome. Can’t wait”