Status: In progress

Something I Need

Lena

It was a quiet evening because Tammy had a class. I loved nights like this because it allowed me to study or not study. Whichever I felt like doing. Tonight, I wasn't in a schoolwork mood, plus, my next assignment wasn't due til next week and my next test was next week, so I took the night off.

I was at my desk, feet up, with Breakfast at Tiffany's playing on Netflix. Out of nowhere, a Skype call came in and my face lit up as I saw his name. I paused the movie and immediately answered the video call. Alex's face appeared on the screen and I couldn't help but get giddy.

Alex was my boyfriend of two years. We met when he first moved to Sarnia to play for the Sting, their OHL team. We were friends for a while, but it wasn't long before we started dating and we have been inseparable ever since.

He had been drafted by Montreal in last years draft but because of the lockout, he ended up playing with Sarnia, and he's been busy as their captain.

Going away to school was tough, but we were still doing really well. I was just hoping the lockout would end, to give him a chance to make the team. From what I could tell, it was ending soon.

"I wasn't expecting this!" Was the first thing I said and he laughed, "Well I have a surprise for you!"

"What?" I asked, curious and excited.

"Well, it's something to tell you"

I was getting anxious now, as he got distracted with someone behind his computer, "Alex!" I whined.

"Sorry love. Anyways, looks like camp is starting, cause I am officially in Montreal"

It took me a second to process what he had said, "Wait, what?" I laughed a little, in shock, unsure of how to react, "You're here?"

"I'm here baby"

All I wanted to do was grab onto him, kiss him, do something but I couldn't. I just smiled and I couldn't seem to stop.

"I want to see you" I said, "Its been too long"

"You saw me at Christmas"

"And this is the first time I've seen your face since" I frowned a little, "I miss you"

He sighed, "I miss you too. We'll figure something out before everything gets started"

"You promise?"

He nodded, "Promise"

I sighed in relief, knowing he always kept his promise. And I just sat there, watching him. His smile, as he talked with the mystery person in the room with him, lit up his face. It always made him look softer than he was. It erased the harshness that came with hockey and his competitiveness.

"Want to meet someone?" he asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

I nodded, I wanted to know who had had his attention this entire time. Someone sat down next to him, jeans and t-shirt, shaggy brown hair and a smile that could light up any dark corner, or city.

"Lena, Brendan, Brendan, Lena"

"Lena, I've heard a lot about you" he said, "All good things of course"

"Nice meeting you" I replied, "You're a teammate?"

"We'll both be competing for a spot" Alex said.

"That's exciting" I replied, "You from nearby?"

"No, I'm a western boy, from
BC" he replied, "Love the east coast, but its not home" he said.

I nodded, "Understandable"

"Well, I'm going to leave you two lovebirds" he said slapping Alex on the back, "But I'm sure I'll see you soon!"

"Nice to meet you Brendan!" I said as he disappeared from the screen, "Nice guy" I said to Alex.

"He is, great player too"

I heard the door open behind me and before Tammy could speak, I put my hand up to keep her quiet, "I should go" I told him, "I have an early class, but I want you to text me tomorrow. I want to see you"

"I will" he said, "I should have some time tomorrow evening, we'll do dinner or stay in, or do something"

"Good" I stated, "I'll see you then, okay?"

"Okay" he answered, "I love you"

I smiled a little, "I love you too. Goodnight Alex"

"Goodnight baby"

His face disappeared and I sighed, turning my desk chair to face Tammy.

"So things are good?" She said, "is he here?"

I nodded, "He surprised

me, he got here today. The lockout should be soon over. It's relieving"

"Well that's great!" She exclaimed, "I'm happy for you!"

I smiled, happy for myself and excited for the future. He was starting a whole new life and so was I, and I was extremely excited to start it all with him, in the same city. The fact I ended up in Montreal for school was a coincidence, or fate, however you want to label it. I just hoped that all his hard work will keep him in Montreal for the season, so I don't have to miss him for another semester.

As I fell back on my bed, a text from Alex came in and I was quick to check it, "I love you" was all it said, like he hadn't said it earlier. It was like he was trying to affirm it, making sure I knew it.

I know. I love you too. Always.

Although we were young, we had been through a lot together and most people would say we were just a reckless young couple who had no clue what they were doing. We might be young and reckless but one thing I was sure of was how I felt about him and how he felt about me. This new challenge of being apart will be a test but I'm holding onto the fact that we'll get through it. Together. Always.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm getting excited about this story, it's going to be fun to write :) I hope you guys are enjoying it!

Read mine and Leslie's other stories and leave us some feedback! Never underestimate the power of comments. Thanks!