Status: In progress

Something I Need

Keira

I was at the library the next day after my morning class, looking for the book I had to read for my English course. I was surprised I had made it to the library; my body was telling me to pack it up and go home and sleep.

I was scanning the aisle, my finger lifted up to pinpoint the titles as I skimmed along, when my phone vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out absentmindedly, my eyes still on the books. I paused to glance down at my screen. One new message:

Hey, it's Brendan.

I felt a smile growing on my face. It stayed there as I stared at the screen, deciding what to say back. For some reason, I hadn't really been expecting him to text me. He had always been an extremely nice guy, and we had known each other forever, but still, it surprised me.

Hey!

I kept my phone in one hand as I returned to my search. As I pulled the right book down from its shelf, my phone buzzed again and I immediately looked down at it.

Sorry it took me so long. Had team dinner and then practice this am.

That's okay. How was practice?

I began to wander around the library, trying to find a place to sit. I finally found an unoccupied table in a corner, and slid into the seat. I set the book down hastily and clicked on my phone.

It was good. Still don't know if I'm staying

I hope so!

It wasn't until after I sent the message that I realized it sounded a bit forward. I had meant it for his sake, and could only hope he read it that way.

Yeah, me too.

I breathed a sigh of relief. Simple answer. I had just set my phone down when it buzzed again.

So when are we hanging out?

***

I sat in my history class later that day, listening to my teacher drone on about the Visigoths. When he finished the unit, he clapped his hands together excitedly.

"And now, the details of your first assignment!"

The class groaned. But as the professor began to outline the requirements of the project, I found myself growing excited about it. I could find a really awesome subject, and -

"And it will be completed in partners."

My excitement was cut short by my professors instructions. I inwardly groaned - I knew absolutely no one in the class.

I hastily looked around for someone who looked as lost as me, and was surprised as I caught the glance of the girl from the other day, the one who had yawned loudly. She was sitting in the same spot, beside me. She simply raised her eyebrows, and I shrugged before nodding. Well, that solved that.

After class, I turned towards the girl and smiled.

"Hey, I'm Keira."

She smiled back and held out her hand. "Lena."

"Nice to meet you." There was an awkward pause, before I spoke again. "So, uh, I was thinking maybe we could meet up for coffee and discuss the plan then? We can think of some ideas."

Lena nodded. She was the same height as me, with blue eyes and brown hair that fell just past her shoulders. "Sounds good! When did you have in mind?"

I shrugged. "Tomorrow at 7? Java Cafe by the library?"

She nodded again. "I'll grab your number just in case." She grabbed her phone and held it out to me, and I quickly typed in my name and number. She smiled brightly as I handed it back to her. "Cool. I'll see you tomorrow!"

I nodded and gathered my things as the other girl headed down the steps towards the doors. I breathed a sigh of relief. That hadn't been too hard.

As I picked up my bag and slung it over my shoulder, I bit my lip, my thoughts shifting elsewhere. The next day was Saturday, and I was having lunch with Brendan. It had all happened so quickly, and the more I thought about it, the more nervous I became.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woooh!