Status: In progress

Something I Need

Lena

Keira and I had planned to meet for lunch to discuss what we would do for our project. It was nice to be interacting with someone new at school, other than Tammy. Hopefully we get along.

I had arrived first, always nervous about being late. About ten minutes later I saw Keira step in, rub her hands together from the cold and spot me in the corner of the campus restaurant.

"Hey" she smiled, "How are you?"

"Good" I replied, "You?"

"Full" she laughed, "I just had lunch with an old friend, he's in town for hockey"

"That's funny, my boyfriend is in town for hockey"

"Well it is Montreal. There's hockey everywhere" she chuckled, "So did you order?"

I shook my head, "No I wanted to wait for you. I'm not starving anyways, I can just get something light"

"Don't hold back on account of me" she said, "I'll probably still get something"

For the next hour we chatted and tried to keep the topic on our project. We had decided how we were going to split the work and that we needed to meet again in the library at some point to do research. It wasn't a really complex project, but it was time consuming.

"So this old friend you had lunch with, what's his story?" I asked taking a sip of iced tea.

She seemed to blush a little, "Just friends" she said it quickly.

"What's his name? He might know my boyfriend. You know how the hockey world is connected"

"Brendan"

I narrowed my eyes, "That's my boyfriends roommates name"

"What's your boyfriend's name?" She asked.

"Alex"

"Has a bit of a Russian accent?" She asked.

I nodded, unsure of where this was headed and then I laughed, "Brendan Gallagher?"

"Yah!"

"This is so ridiculous. How small a world is this?"

"Too small" she replied.

I grabbed my phone and showed her a picture, "This the one you're thinking of?"

She nodded, "I met him for a brief moment when I ran into Brendan. But that's definitely him"

"That's so funny. I just saw him last night, he's still at my dorm. The lockout and my school acceptance temporarily separated us"

"Brendan and I have known each other a while but we had drifted apart when his junior hockey began. We saw each other now and then, but it was never for a long time before he was gone again"

She had a way about her when she talked about him. She lit up, just a little but then it faded quickly, when she thought about him leaving. I certainly don't know anything about her story with him, but I think she feels something.

"Maybe we should plan something, the four of us. When they're not so busy of course"

She shrugged, "Yah maybe, I don't know"

"I know it's a bit forward, but I could use a girlfriend around here. It's not that easy to make friends."

She nodded, "I know what you mean"

"Okay. So we can exchange numbers and then pick a weekend in the next couple weeks. Even if it doesn't work out with the guys, we can do something"

She smiled, "I'd like that"

I nodded once, "Alright then. I better get back to the dorm, make sure he's not too bored"

"Awesome, so we'll meet on Wednesday in the library for research?"

"Yah! Evening work for you? Maybe after 5?"

"Perfect, I'll see you then"

I left and made my way back to the dorm. I opened the door and saw him sprawled out on my bed, asleep. I leaned down and kissed him, to see if he would react. He kissed me back and then I felt his hands grab my waist and pull me onto the bed, while I let out a squeal and then a laugh.

"Hey" I said, "I thought you were out cold"

"Nah, I heard you come in" he smirked, "How was lunch?"

"Good" I said laying back and staring up at the ceiling, "Funny story though, the girl I'm partnered with is actually friends with Brendan. Small world eh?"

He raised his eyebrows, "Very small. What are the odds?"

I nodded and sighed, now resting my head against his chest, "Do you want to actually nap?" I asked.

He nodded, "Sure. I have to go meet Brendan later though for the gym"

I pushed into him tighter and felt his arm wrap around me, "Okay. But I want this for a while" I was yawning now, not even aware of how tired I was. I heard him say something but I couldn't catch it as I drifted off into sleep.