‹ Prequel: Pre-21st Century
Sequel: Children
Status: Done! Be sure to subscribe to see the next one

Dystopia

1/1

Two kids, smiles from ear to ear, looking so alike they were almost twins, always together. Their mothers always said how their friendship would be forever, how rare friendships like this are, true friendships. For a long time it did seem like their friendship would last forever. But perfection only exists in storybooks.

Thus was the story of Alex Gaskarth and Jack Barakat.

Jack sat on the ledge of the window, legs dangling, waiting. It had been so long since he'd seen his best friend. He missed him so much. Of course he understood, with the never ending busyness of his life. Maybe if he cared less he would have been jealous. But instead he was perfectly happy for him.

He stared at the view of the perfectly arranged city. Everything had a place. Nothing was anything but placed perfectly. Once again, he felt like he'd never find his place. Forever doomed to be the odd one out. He feared that was all his life would be.

"Boo!" Alex's happy voice echoed through the room as he surprised Jack, jumping at him from behind.

Jack jumped startled but joined in with the laughter.

"Alex!" He yelled happily. He immediately gave him a hug, bringing Alex's warm body closer to him. Alex smiled and wrapped his long arms around Jack.

They stayed like that for a few minutes, until Alex broke off saying "I haven't heard from you in so long,what's up? How are you?"

Jack shrugged, not wanting to get into the grimy details of his life. "You know, life." He answered simply.

"Have you been assigned a job yet?" Alex pressed.

"Nope, today they're supposed to tell me."

"Well what are the options?"

Jack sighed before saying "Well it's either a great life of serving dishes or cleaning."

Alex's face fell. He knew it was bad but he'd hoped for something better. In the Society it was one of the worst jobs.

"How about you?" Jack asked, changing the subject. "Is the job everything you've hoped for?"

Alex shrugged, suddenly feeling uncomfortable in his special government clothes. "It's great." He said, willing Jack to change the subject.

"I bet it is. Youngest government official ever! I'm so proud of you!" Jack said sincerely.

"Thanks Jack! I wish there was something I could do to help you." Alex answered, feeling warm from Jacks comment.

"It's okay, don't worry. I've always wanted to spend my years cleaning. You know, gotta use my talents!" Jack said with a joking air.

"That's not your real talent and you know it. There's got to be something to change that."

"Look Alex, there's nothing to be done about it. Lets move on." Jack said with a air of finality. Alex was about to open his mouth, to argue but he saw Jacks expression and held his tongue.

"Wanna play? I brought my guitar." Jack said.

"Sure!" Alex agreed.

The next hour was spent just sitting there together, Alex singing as Jack played. It was perfect. For a second it felt just like old times, before life intervened.

Too soon Alex checked the time and realized he had to go to another government meeting. With great regret he left Jack and started to make his way towards the government building.

He couldn't stop thinking about Jacks fate. It felt like such a cruel joke, like life itself was making fun of them. He'd move forwards in life, continue in his career in politics while Jack would clean. It just seemed so extremely unfair. Alex felt like he had to do something, despite Jack saying it was ok.

He arrived at the government building, found his seat and waited for the meeting to start. The governor, who was in charge of the Society, a small city of 1000 people started the usual weekly meeting with his usual introduction and explanation at what would be discussed.

"Hello fellow comrades! I stand before you, as the proud leader of our glorious Society. Today we have many issues to discuss so let's not dilly dally." Alex tried to look serious and not snicker at the governors ridiculous style.

"As Mr. Umbridge suggested last week, there is indeed a problem with keeping the number of the population exactly 1000 and still having a working productive society. Have you checked into this and possibly found a solution?"

"Indeed I have." Mr. Jameson said in his sickly sweet voice. Alex had always disliked him, felt like honesty and caring weren't his strong sides.

"I have, as you so cleverly asked me to, looked into this. I feel like I have, if I may be so bold, found a solution."

"Ah good work as usual! Pray tell?" The governor said.

"The main problem, as far as I can see, is that there are too many people that do the same jobs. We only need 10 teachers, no more. While the minor situation is always monitored, as you know 10 children in each grade, I believe the jobs should be monitored. No more of this picking by family members and grades. We will return to the old laws. It will be more exact. We can control everything. That is my opinion." Mr. Umbridge finished with flourish.

"Quite a interesting notion. Completely controlling the population. What do you suggest we do now?"

"Well you see governor, for example right now there are 16 people up to be cleaners in our society. This is a travesty. I suggest we go back to all of the old Societies rules including Letting Go. We shall Let Go of whoever isn't needed in the Society to make room for whoever is needed."

Alex felt shocked. Letting Go was one of the things the were vetoed out of the Society. Alex could write papers and papers of what it meant but in the end it simple meant killing the person. How could the rule even be suggested?!

"Well that certainly is a interesting idea. Yes that way we could have control over anything. Adding when needing and taking when needed. I quite like it. Shall we vote or does anyone want to say something?"

Alex signaled the governor. "Ah yes, Mr. Gaskarth."

"This is a outrage. It's absolutely and utter mayhem. How can this even be suggested?! To kill-"

"Now now. It isn't killing, it's Letting Go." Mr Umbridge corrected.

Alex tried to hold his temper as he said "They're the same! We can't kill innocent people from our society just because they don't have the right job! It's so wrong on so many levels."

There was a silence that was broken by the governor saying "Well that was quite passionately put. Your opinion has been noted. Now lets vote." Alex immediately voted no.

After a few minutes the news came. 20% voted no but 80% voted yes. It would happen. Alex couldn't believe it. He couldn't grasp what was going to happen. Killing innocent people just because they weren't needed? How could anyone feel like that was right?!

Alex left the meeting, feeling upset. After eating a quick meal he checked his phone. He was welcomed with a voice message.

"Alex I'm being Let Go tomorrow morning. I thought you might want to know or I don't know. Bye." Jacks voice said quietly.

Alex stood shocked his thoughts flying. How could this happen? There was no way he would let it happen. He sat down trying to focus.

There was no way he'd do nothing as his best friend would be killed. He had to find some way to save him. He racked his mind trying to conjure a solution.

Unlike Jack who was quick to give up Alex always believed every problem had a solution. The only problem was finding it and the sacrifices you'd have to make. He was willing to give up anything for Jacks well being.

The Society was wrong.

The thought hit him like a bus, so suddenly, surprising and shocking. The Society,the voice of all truth is wrong.

Alex knew something had to be done. The question was what. Even with his government status he couldn't change the "democratic" rules. He needed to change it.

He looked out of his window to the wall surrounding the Society. Jack and him had spent hours imagining what could be beyond it, anything from zombies to aliens. He started, at that moment to truly think about what could be beyond the walls. Couldn't he just climb above them taking Jack with him? That thought had him feeling hope.

Just him and Jack alone together nowhere. It could be perfect.

Alex refused to admit to anyone but he was in love with Jack. Even to himself he refused to admit that in the past few years he'd realized his relationship with Jack was more than platonic. The problem was the Society didn't allow Unnaturalness. In a few years they'd get a match and that was it. But if they ran away together who knew what would happen.

Alex started to think about the escape when it hit him.

How could Jack and him leave with the Society killing other innocent people?

They'd be safe but what about other people? Surely they couldn't be so selfish as to run away with other people getting killed? What could they do?

The Society was wrong. What could be done about that? And as easily as that, Alex realized someone had to change it. Now. It had to change. Why not him? Why couldn't he change it? Maybe if everyone knew its evils, if people were aware, it could be changed.

Alex quickly called Jack and told him to come over. Jack looked confused as to why Alex wanted him to come over. Alex meanwhile was bursting to tell Jack his findings.

"What's up?" Jack asked.

"The Society is wrong!" Alex burst out.

"What?" The Society was the only thing they had. It was right. It had to be.

"The Society is wrong." Alex repeated. "And I want to change it." Alex said looking at Jack wondering at his reaction.

"I'm being let go tomorrow. Good luck." Jack said with a air of finality.

"That's exactly it! We'll change it! We can start a revolution! We can make things better! You don't need to be let go! Together we can do it. We can let everyone know!"

Jack looked down thinking about it. Maybe they could do it. What if there was a way to change the governments rules? What if they could help ,make a difference?

One question still stuck to his mind. "Why are you doing this Alex?"

The words "because you're my friend and I'd do anything for you" were on Alex's lips but he decided against it. Fuck the Society.

"Because I love you." Jacks eyes widened.

"Really? Like real love? Like not only friends?" Jack asked immediately. Alex nodded biting on his lip.

"I love you too. I didn't know how to tell you and I-"

Alex cut his apology by pressing his lips to Jacks. The kiss was slow, a bit awkward and perfect. It was everything they'd ever wanted, everything they'd dreamed of.

Jack broke off saying "Now this has to work. There's no way I'm leaving you." Alex smiled, his eyes twinkling happily.

And that was the beginning of the revolution, the battle that would change the lives of everyone forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I LIVE! I will finish this challenge, I don't care that its been way longer than 30 days. Comments are really welcome, I need to know if people are reading this.

This is dedicated to Flyzik and Evan cause I can't believe they're seriously leaving the band. Flyzik has been my favorite crew member forever and I can't believe he's not going to tour with them anymore :'(