Freak: When the World Went Crazy

Chapter 3

I wake up with a start. Bright, afternoon sunlight shines in the car, putting the world into focus. The doors are open and the car is empty except for me. Slowly yawning, I rub the sleep from my eyes and step out of the car.
"Home, sweet home." I mutter to myself looking around.
We live in an abandoned warehouse a couple of hours outside of town. We've been here for one year and 3 months. A couple of days ago, we finished fixing up the double fence that goes around the warehouse. It's not much defense but with the barbed wire top and spikes we placed in the fence that are sticking outward, it is do-able. It's not perfect, but it is home. Plus, it's the longest one that we've had since we added the last member, Brandy.
I start heading for the warehouse doors and spot Len on the roof in his usual spot. He waves to me and I switch direction to head towards the ladder. When i get to the top, Len puts out his cigarette. He knows i don't allow smoking, so he only does it when I'm not around. Len and Joe are the only brothers among us. They were adopted together at birth.
"What's up?" I ask, doing a 360 to view the scene.
"It's not out there, if that's what you're wondering. It's inside." Len replies.
"What do you mean? You didn't tell them about-"
"No." Len says, anticipating what I am to ask. "It's not my place to tell. They're just arguing again. Joe wants to go. You and I want to go. But Brandy, Kit, Dan, and Lily want to stay."
I walk to the ladder and start climbing down. As I get to the bottom, I hear Len call out to me. I look up and shield my eyes from the Sun.
"Give 'em Hell."