Undying Love

Chapter 10- Broken Heart

"Hey Lacey," Glenn called from behind me and when I turned around, he was jogging towards me. "I'm going on a pharmacy run with Maggie, need anything?" he asked when he finally reached me. I was so glad it was Glenn going on the run because I could ask him for the one thing I needed, that I wouldn't have been able to ask anyone else. "Well just some essentials...but Maggie will know what that entails" I said with a small laugh, watching as he wrinkled his nose slightly at the thought of periods. Typical guy. "And me and Daryl have run out of condoms, so if you could..." I trailed off awkwardly as he instantly began nodding his head to show I didn't need to say anymore. "I'll see what I can do" he said, pulling me into a hug. "Be careful" I said as we pulled out of the hug. "You too" he replied, obviously realising I would be going out searching with Daryl today. He began making his way towards the others whilst I quickly went inside the house to grab a quick drink before heading out with Daryl.

However as I stood looking out the window with my glass in hand, I saw Rick stand up and heard him call out to Daryl. "You okay on your own?" he asked and if was then that I realised Daryl was going to leave without me. "I'm better on my own" he replied, offending me slightly. "Don't worry, ill be back before dark" he sarcastically said before continuing to walk away. I instantly put my glass down of the table and made my way to the door, preparing to run after him, but Ricks voice stopped me in my tracks before I opened it. "Hey! We gotta base, we can get this search properly organised now" he said, using the word organised for like the fifth time in the space of an hour. "Ya gotta point? Or we just chattin'?" Daryl retorted coldly, showing he still hadn't taken well with the rest of the group yet. "My point, it lets you off the hook. You don't owe us anything" Rick said, confusing me. Daryl wasn't looking for Sophia because he felt like he owed anyone, he wanted to find her. "My other plans fell through" Daryl stated, before walking away. What did he mean by that? I didn't know of any other plans, so how could they have fell through?

Herschel appeared beside me, but I didn't have time to chat. With a half-hearted smile I pushed the door open and ran down the porch steps and past Rick. I jogged to catch up with Daryl but he could sure walk fast when he was angry.

~

"Hey!" I called out, as I grabbed his arm to get him to stop. We had just entered the woods and out of sight and ear shot from the others, so I didn't think twice about stopping him. "What?! " he yelled, roughly shrugging off my grip. "Daryl come on! We just made up, please don't treat me like shit again" I pleaded, seriously not wanting to argue again. "Treat ya like shit?" he repeated harshly, like I had done with Shane earlier. "I fuckin' kiss ya in front of everyone! Ya know I don't do that kind'a shit, but I did, for you! Then what do ya go an' do?" he spat angrily at me, not even giving me a chance to try and work out what I had done wrong for myself. "Ya go and flirt with Shane! I'm actually surprised you didn't fancy takin' a ride to the interstate with 'im instead of being out here with me!" he yelled and finally it made sense. "I wasn't flirting with Shane, I was apologising for knocking into him when you leaned over and pushed me into him! And in case you missed it, I had ago at him for what he said about Sophia! Does that really sound like flirting to you?" I yelled back, my blood starting to boil at how stupid he was being, seeing signs that weren't even there. "Just piss off Lacey. Give me time to calm down" he stated angrily, storming off again.

I knew I should have listened to him and left him alone for a bit, but I had to get this off my chest. So against my better judgment, I followed him. "You know Daryl, you really know how to make me feel like you don't actually care about me sometimes!" I yelled to him as I got close behind him. Suddenly he turned and got up close to my face and bawled at me, "MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE I DON'T!"

My heart stopped at his words. His eyes boring into mine. His chest violently moving in and out as he struggled to level out his heavy breathing. His face still close to mine.

I wanted to scream at him and shove him away from me. I wanted to be angry but I couldn't because all I truly felt was hurt. My eyes began welling up with tears but I didn't want to cry. I didn't want to scream or cry, I just wanted to get as far away from him as possible.

With his face still close I could see the anger life off his features and the realisation of what he had just said hit him. He moved away and turned his back to me, running his hand through his hair as he stared at a tree in front of him. It was then that I noticed a tear rolling down my face and reaching my chin within seconds, my whole not wanting to cry plan clearly forgotten. "Its nice to know how you really feel" I whispered quietly, quickly turning on my heel and running back the way we came, the tears now freely flowing and blurring my vision as I jumped over the debris. "Lacey!" Daryl shouted after me, but I didn't stop. I was done with Daryl Dixon.