Undying Love

Chapter 8- Progress

The entire car journey was silent. I could tell Glenn wanted to asked me about what happened with Daryl because he kept glancing over at me as he drove. If T-Dog wasn't sat between us I would probably have been crying and babbling on to him about what was wrong and he would be telling me I was being stupid and childish, which in some ways, I knew I was.

Yes, Daryl shouldn't have stormed away and told me to fuck off but on the other hand, I've known him long enough to know he can be a bit of a hot-head and can sometimes say things in the heat of the moment without thinking them through.

~

What was I doing? I had been sat on the porch of the Greene's farm house for over an hour now, it then only sinking in how selfish I've been. T-Dog could have died for his blood infection, Carl was stable but not out of the woods yet, Sophia's still missing and Otis -the man whole accidentally shot Carl- was now dead after going with Shane to get the medical equipment needed to save Carl. Otis' wife, Patrica, has just been told her husband is dead and I've been moping around because of a argument with Daryl. It really put things into perspective for me. Out of everyone, me and Daryl have been the lucky ones so far; we haven't lost each other or come remotely close to doing so like Rick and Lori have with Carl or like Carol with Sophia.

The thought of something happening to Daryl didn't even bare thinking about, especially now when I had left over a stupid, pointless argument. As soon as I see him tomorrow I'm going to tell him how sorry I am. Here was me pushing the person I love most in this world away when Otis' friends and family would do anything to have him by their sides again. Tomorrow couldn't come soon enough.

~

When morning did come I woke up feeling a bit more refreshed the usual. I had taken a quick shower last night and Maggie had given me some clean clothes to wear. It was only a pair of light blue denim jeans, a white top and some black boots...but I was truly grateful. It was nice not waking up feeling dirty and smelling completely revolting.

As we began staking up a pile of stones in honour of Otis, I heard the beautiful sound of Daryl's motorcycle driving along the path of the Greene's' farm, making his way towards the house. Without a word to the others I instantly made my way towards it as well so that I could be there as soon as he pulled up. Everyone else seemed to have the same idea because I heard a group of footsteps following closely behind me, but I didn't care, I just wanted to see Daryl.

Everyone was soon gathered around outside the house and unsurprisingly, it was Dale who spoke up first. "How is he?" he asked. I'm sure that question had been playing on his mind a lot since he found out that Carl had been shot yesterday so it only made sense that that was the first thing he wanted to know. "He'll pull through...thanks to Herschel and his people" Lori said with a smile on her face, the first one I'd seen since I arrived here. "And Shane," Rick quickly interjected. "We would have lost Carl if not for him." It was then that people began hugging and even though the group, plus Herschel and the others were around, I wrapped my arms tightly around Daryl's neck and held him closely to me.

Surprisingly he didn't push me off like I thought he might have. At first he tensed up, but after a few seconds he relaxed a little and wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me just as tightly as I was him. "I'm sorry," I whispered close to his ear as he buried his face into the side of my neck, either he really missed me or he wanted to hide his face from the others. "I shouldn't have left last night, it was a stupid thing to do-" Without warning my words were cut off as Daryl's lips were on mine, his hand cupping the side of my face to hold me in place. I moaned slightly in surprise, both from the sudden kiss and the fact we was still in front of people.

When he broke the kiss he kept our faces close as he spoke, his voice coming out rasp and breathless. "Yeah, it was" he said, but as the corners of his lips twitched, I knew all was forgiven. Apologising in serious situations didn't come naturally to him and excuse the irony when I say, life's to short, but in this world it really was to short to stay mad at him whilst I waited for one.

I smiled at him before retracting my arms from around his neck and dropping them to my sides, slowing turning to check the damage of our sudden show of affection. Thankfully it wasn't to bad. We were receiving a few shocked looks, but they were mainly Herschel and his people, The majority of our group seemed to brush it off like it was something they were used to seeing, which made me mentally question if they had seen us kiss before. If they had known this whole time, I wish they would have said something; I would have saved all the sneaking around. In fact they were so unfazed by it, they were still continuing their conversation.

"How did it happen?" Dale asked. "Hunting accident. Just a stupid accident" Rick informed him, before turning to look at Patrica. "We're ready for the memorial whenever you are" he said quietly to which she acknowledged with the return of a small nod, before rushing inside to prepare herself. "Memorial for who?" Daryl asked from beside me. I forgot he and the others that had stayed on the interstate were clueless as to the drama that unfolded last night, so I pulled him to one side as to not upset Otis' people anymore then they already were.

"Otis, the guy that accidentally shot Carl. He went with Shane to get medical supplies yesterday and...well...he didn't make it back" I explained quietly, not knowing the best way to put it. Daryl let out a small sigh and nodded before snaking his arm around my waist and pulling me closer to him and kissing me firmly on the forehead. The farmhouse door swung open and Patrica appear, now wearing a black shawl draped around her shoulders. Everyone took that as the sign for her being ready and slowly began making their way towards the pile of stacked up stones, Daryl moving away from me at this point, leaving me to walk over with Glenn.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback?:)