Girls, Breaking Hearts

No she can't be what you need, if she's seventeen

John had gathered almost everyone at Tim’s, claiming he needed to talk to them and almost immediately, they agreed, figuring he had some sort of problem regarding his relationship. His closest friends were mostly all there- Tim, Ash, Mel, Eric, Peter, Rex, Max, Kennedy, Pat, and Jared. The others couldn’t make it, having already made plans but it was fine with him; he just needed to vent and hear some input afterwards.

He sighed, holding a bottle of beer in his hand but couldn’t drink it at all. He kept thinking back to how he’d slapped the drink away from her hand earlier, how she’d flinched when he did that- it kept crawling back into his head, making him want to hurt himself for even doing such a stupid action that probably scared her off.

“So,” Tim started, looking at their friends who each gave them a nod, “what, uh, what did you want to talk about?”

Once again, he sighed, looking over to Jared with a doubtful expression on his face. His friend simply nodded, though he had no idea what prodded John to decide he needed to say it.

“I, uh.” John let out a deep breath, closing his eyes as he slumped back onto his chair, “I have a girlfriend.”

“I knew it!” Peter exclaimed, not realizing the seriousness in John’s voice as he slapped Eric on the back, who immediately scoffed. “I told you, I told you first, and you said no, he’s probably-”

“Uh, guys.” Tim cleared his throat, and once he got Peter’s attention he motioned over to John, and Peter shut his mouth.

John shrugged, letting out another sigh as he raked his fingers through his hair. “Or, I had a girlfriend. We’ve been together for almost a year, and now she’s, uh-” He paused, sucking in his breath as he thought of how to say it. “We had a fight, this morning,” he started. “She wasn’t- she wasn’t texting or calling me back last night, so, I...” He averted their gazes, feeling his cheek heat up as he continued to confess. “I freaked out. Real bad. I went to her parents and made up some alibi, and when she wasn’t there, I- I just thought she was cheating. That she was sick of this, of me, and she took the easy way out, and-”

“John, what the fuck man?” Tim snapped, not understanding how John could suddenly jump to such a conclusion, as if he’d thought of it the whole time they were together. “Look, can you-”

“She’s seventeen,” he blurted out before Tim could say anything, and everyone’s mouths dropped open in disbelief.

“She’s what?” Kennedy asked, scoffing as he turned to Jared. “She’s seventeen?”

Silence followed, and John looked at each of his friends who sported surprised expressions. It was Melissa who recovered first, clearing her throat as she eyed Kennedy intently. “Hey why don’t we keep the judgment to a minimum,” she suggested.

“Jeez, I’m just-”

“Guys, let him talk,” Max cut in, looking at his glum friend with a sigh. “Uh, tell us how it happened?”

And John launched into the story of how their parents were such great friends, how he used to babysit her when she was younger, how they re-met for the first time in years, sparking the attraction, and how it all happened. The moment he mentioned the first part, Tim, Rex, Max, and Eric already knew who he was talking about.

“Brooklyn Shelton, man?!” Eric exclaimed, couldn’t believe his friend as his eyes continued to widen. “Fuck, you mean- wait- as in, Spitfire Shelton’s sister? Oh my god, don’t tell me you used to-”

“No I didn’t,” John interjected, knowing already what his friend was going to say. “I didn’t, I didn’t like her until, until last year.”

“Brooklyn Shelton,” Tim repeated, as if the more times he repeated it, the more it would be real. “I just- it’s so-”

“I know man,” John cut in, sighing deeply. “I know.”

His friends let out sighs of their own, mumbling her name over and over again like it was a chant or something. He set his beer on the table, knowing he didn’t need it tonight after all.

“So,” Eric drawled out the word, glancing at their friends. “What are you planning to do?”

John let out another sigh, running his fingers through his hair as he thought of what he really planned on doing. “I honestly don’t know, man,” he admitted. “I just- I don’t want us to end, but- but if she wants to, then I guess- I guess I don’t have any choice.”

“You gonna grovel?” Rex asked, resituating himself in his seat.

“Well yeah,” John mumbled matter-of-factly, keeping his gaze on his feet. “Shit, I’ll do anything for her to take me back.”

“Wow.” Peter’s eyes widened as he brought his beer to his mouth, preparing to sip his drink. “Is she that good when-”

“Don’t.” John glared at Peter, grabbing a chip from the table and angrily throwing it at his friend. “Don’t even fucking dare say it.”

Kennedy was taken aback by his friend’s tone; actually, they all were. It was pure dark, the realest warning he could ever give. They exchanged awkward glances, and Ashley let out a huge breath.

“Well, seventeen,” she said. “That’s an interesting age.”

John’s gaze flickered over to her, but it was purely a weak look. “I know.”

“I’m just saying,” Ashley started, glancing at Tim and grabbing at his hand, “Tim and I started dating at that age- and we’re still together, so-”

“Well he wasn’t twenty-five then, so-” Kennedy’s attempt to joke was sternly cut off by the rest of his friends, and he swallowed hard as he put his hands up in surrender.

“Look, when we were seventeen, our feelings were just being established,” she continued. “But we were exclusive. Neither cheated on the other- I assume,” she joked, smirking at Tim who laughed and moved his arm around her, “But I guess, we entertained those doubts, you know? We were young. So it was perfectly natural for you to overreact, add to that the fact that you’re extremely insecure because you’ve never had an actual, serious girlfriend- but for you to fling an accusation like that, well, needless to say it hurt her. She’s young, John. She’s going to take things harder, and you flat-out telling her that it’s what you thought, well... I don’t know, John; you’re twenty-five. I’m not trying to lecture you, just calling you out because you need to know it was a wrong move.”

John sighed once more, nodding as he rubbed his temples completely ashamed of what he had done. He knew he was wrong, God if he could take it all back he could.

“I’m with her, man,” Tim added. “Next time, when you’re going to have a confrontation, do it when you’re calmer- you know how we get when we’re flustered. Not helping the case.”

“I know,” he mumbled, keeping his gaze away from his friends. “I know, God I shouldn’t have- I fucked up- I should’ve- how do I make this right?”

“Give her some space,” Kennedy suggested. “I mean, go send out a text about how you’re sorry and you’re giving her space, then do that.”

“Yeah you should do that,” Tim agreed. “But John... if she doesn’t want to anymore, don’t push her. I mean, she’s seventeen, I’m sure you can find someone who you’ll, you know- connect more with.”

John had considered that earlier, that she wouldn’t want him back anymore, and the mere thought of it hurt him like hell. The past year of his life had been the best. He’d been in a better mood in general, he’d been happier, though more secretive, but the harder their situation was the greater the reward. He’d even been healthier.

“Come on, have a drink,” Eric offered, handing John a beer but he simply lifted his hand up and shook his head.

“No, I- uh, I don’t want to,” he said, his thoughts going back to the one person who was always in his mind. How could he get through to her?

The hours passed, they continued to talk about John and Brooke, until he decided he needed to go. Saying his goodbyes, he absentmindedly walked back to his car and pulled his phone out. Should he let the day pass, or should he at least send a text? Whenever they fought, neither of them let the day pass before apologizing.

Ultimately, he decided on sending a text. Brooke, I’m sorry, he typed out, I was way out of line. I love you and I promise I will- he then stopped, and deleted the whole message. He typed one out again, but then erased it once more and cursed himself because he could never find the right words.

Finally, he typed out four simple words that, well, seemed most appropriate considering the timeframe of the situation.

Can I call you?
♠ ♠ ♠
john's side.
i know this is fairly short, but i promise the next will be longer :)
tell me your thoughts!