Status: Active.

Shiver.

tonight we'll party

I stared out the living room window at the sunshine outside. I sighed softly, wishing I could make sense of the feeling of loneliness that threatened to overwhelm me. It was a beautiful day but the whole world seemed overcast to me.

"Gracie," Lizzie sounded annoyed and I realized she had been saying my name for awhile. "When are your parents coming home?" I shrugged.

"Um, Tuesday," I lied. Liz was my best friend but I couldn't tell her the truth. I had no idea when my parents were coming home.

"We should have a party," she said excitedly. "My brother knows a guy who can get us alcohol." I nodded. "We can invite a bunch of people from school. Maybe I can get my brother to bring some of his hot college friends."

"Sounds good," I said. "I assume you'll do the inviting." Liz smiled her usual winning smile and I shook my head but I couldn't help but smile too.

"Well, duh," she said. "You would actually have to talk to people to invite them." I glanced at her, startled. "Come on Gracie, you barely talk to anyone since..." she hesitated before continuing. "It's been two years. You need to start living again. We're sixteen. We have our whole lives ahead of us."

"You're sixteen. I'm still fifteen until next month," I reminded her. She rolled her eyes at me and pulled out her phone.

"I'm going to put the word out. You pick out a movie for us to watch," she ordered. I browsed Netflix, looking for something that I would be able to space out to. By the time I had decided on a movie Lizzie's phone had buzzed about fifteen times.

"I take it the party planning is going well?" I asked lightly. Lizzie laughed.

"It definitely is. And Liam is getting some of his friends over. Tonight is definitely going to rule," she said. I sat upright.

"Tonight? I didn't realize it was going to happen so quickly," I said.

"Well, yeah that's how it's done," she told me this as if it were super obvious. She studied me for a moment. "Can I dress you up for once?" I stared at her blankly. "Come on. It will be fun. You remember fun, don't you?" She asked the question lightly but I couldn't think of an answer.

"I'd love for you to dress me up," I lied, trying to seem genuinely enthused.