Status: Active.

Shiver.

sweet sixteen

"Happy birthday my sweet princess," Hunter whispered in my ear, pulling me closer in bed. I smiled up at him. I was getting over my fear of him after two solid days of love and attention. He had been very gentle with me, cuddling constantly, and showering me with praise. My bruises had started to fade and with them my concerns about Hunter, although there was still a small nagging feeling in the back of my head.

We got out of bed and showered separately. We hadn't been intimate since that first night, much to my relief. I got dressed in the bathroom before coming back into my bedroom. Hunter wasn't in the room but there was a fresh bouquet of roses on the bed for me. I didn't know when he'd found time to buy them but the gesture was sweet.

I heard a car outside and glanced out the window to see Liam's car parked in front of the house. Liz was getting out of the passenger side. I was about to run down to meet them when I realized that my eye still looked very bad.

"Crap," I muttered. I ran to my vanity and grabbed the foundation. I applied it liberally to my whole face and the quickly powdered it over. I met my reflection's gaze but barely recognized the girl in the mirror. I sighed and trudged down to answer the door.

"Hey guys," I greeted them as I opened the door. For a moment they both just stared at me. "Um, do you want to come in?" Liz seemed to recover her composure first.

"Happy Birthday Gracie," she said softly. Liam reached for and squeezed my hand. They both seemed sad and I didn't understand why.

"Is everything okay?" I asked. Liam scoffed and I glanced up at him.

"I don't know Grace, is everything okay? We've barely seen you since you got together with Hunter. I never pegged you as the type who would give up her friends for a guy," Liam snapped. I inhaled sharply. Liam had never gotten upset with my before. Liz put a hand on his arm.

"Liam, we said we would talk to her calmly," Liz reminded him. I raised an eyebrow at her.

"He's right though," I agreed. They both turned to stare at me. "Hunter has been consuming a lot of my time. I'm really sorry if I haven't been the friend you guys deserve." Liz chuckled.

"Just try to carve out a little time for us, okay?" She asked.

"Okay," I promised with a laugh. I hugged both of them, glad that I had such great friends.