Status: Active.

Shiver.

bitter aftertaste

"Thanks again for all the great presents," I said. Liz hugged me quickly.

"Welcome to being sixteen," she told me with a laugh. "We're going to have a lot of fun now that you can drive too." I smiled and shook my head, resisting the temptation to roll my eyes.

"Happy birthday Gracie," Liam said. He wrapped his arms around me and I leaned into him. I missed the feeling of his solid presence always being around to watch me. "I'm glad you're happy with Hunter." I didn't respond except to lean my head on his chest. After a moment he pulled away and they both left. I went back inside the house, making sure to lock the door behind me. I locked the backdoor and turned out all the downstairs lights.

When I got to my bedroom I saw the bouquet of roses I'd found on the bed earlier beside my cell phone. I grabbed it quickly and saw that I had missed over twenty texts from Hunter.

'Hey birthday girl, you ready for your surprise?'

'Babe, where are you?'

'Don't you want to know where I am?''

'Why aren't you answering?'

'Call me immediately.'

The texts went on, becoming angrier in tone.

'I can see you with him you little slut.'

'No girl makes a fool of me.'

'I'm going to kill you for this.'

'You're going to be sorry.'

The last ten or so were just angry threats. I realized he must have been outside the house watching us for hours. I wondered if he was still out there but I was too afraid to look. Suddenly my bedroom door burst open. I dropped my phone in surprise. Hunter stood at the door seething. I reached for my phone but it slipped out of my sweaty palms. My heart was roaring in my ears so loudly I barely heard what he said at first.

"Come here and apologize whore," he ordered. I whimpered.

"Hunter, baby, please don't hurt me," I begged. "I swear it was just a couple friends who stopped by for my birthday. I'm sorry."

Almost faster than I could blink he grabbed me by the throat and slammed me into the wall. I groaned as everything went red. When my vision cleared I was on the ground and he was standing over me, kicking my ribs. I started coughing into my hand. I wasn't paying much attention to it until I felt something wet hit my palm. I looked down to see blood.

"Stop," I pleaded. "Please." I saw his foot coming toward the side of my face and this time everything went black.