Status: Active.

Shiver.

plan in motion

I spotted them immediately as soon as I walked out of the classroom, chatting with some friends about the final exam we'd just taken. As soon as I saw them I felt my whole body tense up. It was way too soon for them to be showing up like this. We hadn't finished setting up the plan. I excused myself from my friends and quickly made my way to them. Auggie opened the back door of the sedan for me and I slid in. He and James sat in the front. We drove straight to my apartment.

I sighed. After everything that had happened with Hunter became public, things had gotten hard for me. At school everyone was either morbidly fascinated or overbearingly sympathetic. I'd graduated six months after he tried to kill me. I moved away for college immediately after graduation. My parents had sold their house and moved as well.

"It's only been two years," I commented. Auggie turned to face me.

"I know Grace but we knew all along that this was a possibility," he pointed out. "That's why you already moved a four hour drive away. We are just here to make sure that we're ready. He gets out in less than three days. I've spoken to a couple of guys I know at the prison. He is going to come straight for you."

I tried not to freak out but a small moan escaped. Auggie reached for my hand. James was watching me in the rear view mirror. I took several deep breaths but it didn't work. I could feel the panic attack coming on. By the time we reached my apartment it had reached full fruition. I sat paralyzed in the back seat. Auggie tried to coax me out but I couldn't force myself to move.

"Grace," James said my name softly. I looked up at him. I'd always been more comfortable with James and the air of experience he exuded, probably because he was so much older. Auggie was less than ten years my senior and he looked even younger than he was. I stepped out of the car slowly, still struggling to regulate my breathing.

"It's not Grace anymore," I reminded him. He sighed.

"Sorry, Anne," he corrected himself. Auggie frowned beside him. We'd changed my name before I turned eighteen, when it was easier to do it privately. I'd enrolled in college under the new name of Anne Montgomery, one I'd selected. I'd visited Liam and Liz back home several times but no one knew I'd changed my name. It was all part of the plan to help me disappear from Hunter.

"I'm scared," I admitted. They exchanged a look before guiding me inside. I unlocked the door to my apartment and was not surprised to see that my parents were already there, packing my things quickly and neatly. I didn't protest. Everything was going as we had planned. We had decided that the best plan was to run somewhere he hopefully wouldn't be able to find me.

"Hi honey," Dad greeted me, still piling my books into a box. "We've got your plane ticket already. Mom and I have some business trips to take but we will check in with you every day. We hope to join you soon."
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is almost finished but there will be a sequel, since this one didn't end the way I'd originally planned.