Status: Active.

Shiver.

summer romance

"So how are things going with Hunter?" Liz asked. I smiled, despite my few doubts.

"It's actually going really well. I love that we started dating in summer. We get to spend so much more time together without any responsibilities to get in the way. I feel like we've become really close, really fast because there's nothing to get in the way of our time together," I gushed. Liz rolled her eyes, but with a smile and I knew she didn't really mean it. I stuck my tongue out at her.

"I know you've been spending a lot of time together. That's why I've had to force myself into your schedule," she said pointedly. I blushed and chuckled.

"I'm sorry Lizzie, you know you're still my best friend. It's just that Hunter makes me really happy, for the first time since Sophia died," I admitted. Liz reached for my hand and patted it gently.

"Hey," she said gently. "I know losing your sister was hard, especially when you keep putting all the blame on yourself. I'm really glad to see that Hunter is pulling you out of this depression."

"I really will try to make more time for you," I promised.

"Don't forget Liam. He's been worried about you. You haven't even called or texted him since a few days after you got together with Hunter," Liz pointed out. "He misses you too." I laughed.

"I will do my best to be more available for both of you," I said.

"Great. Now tell me what we're doing for your birthday next week," Liz ordered.

"Well my dad called. My parents want to take me for my driver's test that morning and then I can have a small party that night. I was thinking I would invite you, Liam, and Hunter. I really don't want to make a big deal over my birthday this year."

Liz scrunched up her face but didn't protest. I knew she wanted to go all out for my sweet sixteen like we had for hers ten months earlier but I didn't have the energy or desire to make a big deal out of it. I would be happy with just my family, my closest friends, and my wonderful boyfriend.