Status: New chapters to be expected soon!

It's Complicated

I'm Not Looking For A Group

I've been running through the forest for days. Sleeping in trees, killing the dead, and keeping my ass as safe as possible. I've been on my own even before the world had gone to shit. I didn't need anyone then, and I sure don't need anyone now. Once I realized how much of the world had gone to shit, I did anything I could to keep my trail covered and myself out of view.

The sun was starting to set, and my body was starting to slowly shut down on me. It had been weeks since I had seen an ounce of food that didn't have a huge bite mark etched into it. I knew that at some point, my good luck had to falter. I was low on ammo, out of food, and moving more slowly by the day. I forced myself to keep walking, hoping for an abandoned house, or something of the sort. Out in the distance, I saw what looked to be a white house with a gate wrapped around the field. I could vaguely see the formations of bodies surrounding the front yard.

"Those can't be people, can they?" I questioned myself. I hadn't seen a single soul for months. Well, not the living kind, anyway.

I walked closer, gaining a better perspective on the people. I was right, they were in fact people. As I got closer to the fence, I saw their happy demeanours turn defensive.

"Who are you?!" A man in a sheriff's uniform held a gun up to my face.

"Please, help me." I struggled to keep my balance.

I was malnourished, dehydrated, and possibly had heat stroke. I felt my body wobble as I tried to make sense of my words.

"I'll ask you again, who are you?" The same man spoke slower this time, grip loosening on his gun.

Just as I was about to reply, my body gave in on me. I collapsed to the ground, blacking out.

When I woke up, I was alone in a room. Blankets neatly placed overtop of my frail body, and a sandwich next to the bed on the side table. When I turned my head towards the door, I was startled to find two piercing blue eyes staring back at me.

"Who are ya?" He asked coldly.

I watched him shift slightly before replying just as coldly, "What's it to you?"

He grunted before leaving the room, only to return minutes later with the same man who had pointed a gun to my head earlier. The man introduced himself as Rick before sitting next to my bed. I listened to Rick ask questions about who I was and what I was doing here, but I never replied, nor did I look at him. I wasn't about to give up everything I had worked so hard to build up in a matter of seconds, and I sure wasn't looking for a group.

I could tell that my incapability to respond was irritating both Rick and the other man that was in my room before. After a few more questions, I heard Rick sigh. He looked up at the other man in defeat, ready to give up for a while. Suddenly, a boot slammed down and headed towards me.

"Listen here, girl, we ain't got time fer yer shit. Who the fuck are ya?!" He was real close to me now, pissing me off even more.

"Daryl, back off. Let her talk when she's ready."

So, Daryl was his name.

"Listen here, Daryl. I don't answer to anybody, so you best be backing the fuck up before I fucking make you." I was definitely not in the mood to deal with his shit.

"Oh really? Whatcha gon' do? We got all yer weapons, dumb bitch." He whispered the last part, turning on his heel.

Rick started to follow him out of the room, and I knew if I wanted to get out of here, I had to get on these people's good side. So far my tough guy act wasn't working too well.

I sighed, giving in. "My name's Riley. Riley Campbell. I didn't mean no harm, I swear."

Both the men stopped in their tracks. Rick approached me with a weak, non-threatening smile.

"Hi there, Riley. Look, I'm sorry about Daryl. It's just been a lot. I can't imagine what you've been through. Do you have a group?"

I shook my head, "Don't plan on joining one either. So, if you guys don't mind, I'd like to get back to what's left of my shit-tastic life."

I tried to stand up, only to find my body was still weak. I tumbled on top of Daryl, his arms stabilizing me. I looked up into his eyes, just now realizing how handsome he really was. I cleared my throat awkwardly, reluctantly pushing myself out of his arms.

"Your body needs to rest for a few days. If you wanna leave after that, you're welcome to. We won't force your hand." Rick filled me in. Daryl set me back down into my bed as I absorbed this information.

I nodded my head, thanking him. After the two men had left, I couldn't help but shut my tired eyes once again, and drift off to sleep. The morning sure was going to be interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahh, I know it's nothing special, but be patient! I'm gonna post the next few chapters.

Be sure to leave your comments and let me know what you think. It encourages me to write more!

Also, this story will be following a lot of the story line starting from season 2, working my way to the current episodes!

Thanks for reading! :)