Status: Completed

Don't Matter

One & Only Chapter

I lick my lips as the water washes the dirt off my hands. My eyes scanning the morning sun spreading over the farm. Turning off the tap, I dry my hands with the red striped tea towel next to me. My eyebrows bunch in confusion as I see a man, running franticly towards the house with something in his arms. I can just barely make out Otis is running with them.

I immediately make my way to the front door, calling out for Hershel. I shove open the door to see the man running towards the house, he is carrying a young boy in his arms; both carried in blood. My heart speeds up in my chest, then suddenly Hershel pushes past me bringing me back to my senses.

I listen as the man desperately begs Hershel to help his son. I nibble on my lip as Hershel explains the boy will need a significant amount of donated blood. I look over to see the other man with him, watching me closely. I avoid this man’s glaze and wait for my orders from Hershel.

When epidemic began, I was living with my step father and mother for a bit. My mother recommended I come stay for a bit and work with my step father; Hershel at his vet clinic. I had been a vet technician for just over 3 years now. I agreed, especially with my on and off relationship being mainly off. I close my eyes refusing to think of my mother and my ex-boyfriend, it is not the time or place.

“Lacey, set up the spare room!” Hershel order, bring back to reality. With a small smile towards the man, I rush inside to gather the equipment I will need. I recall the man informing Hershel that him and his son both have the same blood type.

Patricia rushes into the spare room, she begins to help me set up. While organising the sheets, I ask her, “What’s the plan?”

“From what I gathered, we are doing a blood transfusion and then Hershel will attempt to remove the bullet fragments from the boy’s body,” Patricia exclaims.

“Fuck,” I mumble under my breath.

Image

I hand the man, who I have learnt is Rick, a glass of water. I smile softy at him as I watch him take a sip. He is pale as a ghost after the blood transfusion. I place a hand on his shoulder and reassure him, “Your boy will be fine, he is in good hands. I promise.”

I stand up and make my way into the spare room to see how Hershel is going. I cross my arms over my chest as I watch Hershel carefully make an incision in the boy’s abdomen. I take a deep breath to prevent myself from fainting as he painfully pulls out the bullet fragments.

I have never been too good dealing with human body related things, hence the career with animals. I cringe as the boy screams out painfully before passing out. “One down,” Hershel exclaims, “Five to go.”

I can hear a commotion going on in the other room, Hershel asks me to see what is going on for him while he retrieves the last fragments. Doing as I am told, I walk in to find Rick talking about someone called Lori and how she needs to be here. His friend, Shane, threatens to break his legs if he leaves. We can all see by looking at Rick, he will not make it past the fence.

To make matters worse, Hershel comes out to inform Rick, his boy’s belly is distended, and a fragment has knocked out one of his blood vessels. I nibble down on my bottom lip as Hershel also informs, that if he tries to perform the kind of delicate surgery, the boy will die. I quietly stand by Maggie, both of us remain quiet as this is going from bad to worse as they discuss needing medical supplies from the high school down the road. I remain quiet as Shane volunteers himself but I cannot wipe the shock off my face as Otis volunteers. I instantly get a bad feeling about this whole situation.

Image

I lean against the fence facing out towards the forest, my eyes scanning for any signs of Maggie’s return. She has gone by horse to find Rick’s wife, Lori, somewhere out in these woods. While waiting my mind begins to wonder, thinking of my father. I last heard from him when the epidemic began, before my mother got sick. I turn my attention towards the barn, knowing she is in there with the other sick people. My heart aches, I want nothing more to open the barn doors and see her well again.

Suddenly I hear hooves on the ground, I see Maggie riding towards the house at top speed with a woman on the back. I smile as I believe it is Lori. I run over to them, helping Lori get off the horse before she rushes inside.

“I’ll put the horse away,” I offer to Maggie softly.

Hesitantly she agrees before she dismounts, then makes her way inside. Holding the reins I lead the black horse towards the horse stalls. I would rather do this than be inside at the moment, it allows me to clear my head and give them some space. Also, not to mention hat Shane guy makes me uncomfortable, he gives me bad vibes.

As I am putting away the horse gear back in place, I hear vehicles come up the long drive way. I walk towards them, wondering if this is the rest of the group Rick is talking about. Running a hand through my hair, I approach them ready to see if I am right.

“Hershel’s farm?” A blonde woman asks me, stepping out of the car.

Nodding my head, I inform her, “Yeah. The boy is inside with my stepfather.”

“Is he okay?” an Asian guy questions me concerned.

I lick over my lips, and answer honestly, “He is stable at the moment.”

Looking over them, my eyes stop directly on the guy getting off the motorcycle. Shock and disbelief engulf me completely. I shake my head, repeatedly telling myself under my breath, that it couldn’t be. The man on the bike finally looks my way, shock also hitting him at full force.

“Daryl?” I ask barely above a whisper, but I know he can her me.

Everyone remains silent watching us. I am about to take a step towards him, but before I can, I am interrupted by Maggie called out urgently, “Lacey! Hershel needs you inside, now!”

I hesitate but do as I am told. I spin around on my heels and run towards the house, knowing it has to do with the young boy. Yet again I am interrupted, but this time, by someone roughly grabbing me by my arm, demanding, “Oh hell no you don’t!”

I come face to face with Daryl. For once in my life, I am completely speechless. I open my mouth but no words come out. With his hands gripping my shoulders tightly, he steps back and looks me up and down. His face shows no emotion so I cannot read him.

Finally I manage to string some words together, “I thought I would never see you again.”
With a smirk, he exclaims, “Told ya, ya wouldn’t be gone long.”

Cupping his check, I pull his face to mine and kiss him passionately. I cannot get enough of his taste, wanting more and more of him. I honestly believed I would never see him again, especially with us not being in a relationship. I came to this farm to figure out what I wanted in my life. The result, it has made me want him all the more.

“Dar,” I whisper pulling away from his amazing lips, “Please don’t go away again. I mean, I know we aren’t together since we fought back at-”

Cutting me off, he exclaims, “Don’t matter if we are or we aint, I aint going anywhere. You’re stuck with me.”