Status: Enjoy

The Key up in the Attic

Detention Slips and Mysterious Doors

“I think Mrs. Bryers has it out for me” My best friend (which was a less pathetic way of saying only friend) Maddy was rambling on about some crazy theory that our history teacher was the reason she failed the test last Friday. “All I did was give her some beauty tips then suddenly she treats me like I’m public enemy number one”
Knowing Maddy, she probably insulted Mrs.Bryers thinking that she was helping her. That’s what she does. Maddy’s loud, Speaks her mind, and is occasionally a pain in everyone’s ass but she knows me better than anyone else which includes my family.

“Exactly what did you say?” I said , playing along. “I said that if she stopped pretending like she rocks those ugly pantsuits she wears everyday, then maybe she’d get a date with the Janitor she’s always shamelessly throwing herself at” I laughed, “Your so mean”

“It’s not my fault that she can’t take criticism well. I just don’t see why she had to stick me in detention with a bunch of future criminals ” “Yeah, because your such an angel” We walked up to my big wooden house. I grabbed my key and unlocked the door while waving goodbye to Maddy.

“Liz, I’m home ” I yelled. No one answered so I just assumed she was at one of her many jobs. I dropped my bag randomly on the floor then went to the kitchen, grabbed an apple then plopped onto the couch ready to watch a marathon of ‘That’s how I meet your mother’ . I reached for the remote when I saw there was a sticky note on it.

'Alex, I’m working late tonight so
I might not get home until tomorrow morning.
There are buyers coming to the house at 4,
Clean the kitchen, livingroom, and attic.'

I hated that my sister and I had to sell our house. It holds so many memories and in a way keeps me connected to my parents after they died. But the house is just to big for only two people now. No matter how much we want to keep the house my sister can’t pay all the bills.

I’ve insisted many times that I’d have no problem getting a job to help her but she turns me down saying I need to live my life to the fullest while I’m still young. Pathetically enough the only thing I’ve done to really ‘Live my life to the fullest’ was throwing ketchup packets at people in McDonalds until I was thrown out, and that was only because Maddy dared me too.

I got to work, breezing through the kitchen and livingroom. As I climbed a set of spiral stairs that lead to the attic I could already feel my allergies acting up from all the dust that built up from years of abandoned but well needed cleaning.

Our attic was fairly large considering we lived in a house fit for over five people. Though with all these boxes and furniture wrapped in plastic occupied most of the space in the attic. I’ve only been up here once but my cruel memory won’t let me forget that all those boxes are filled with childhood memories that I pushed to the back of my mind.

I started moving boxes so they were lined up and stacked by one side of the wall and not all over the place where anyone could trip over them. As I tried to pushed the last boxed that was on the opposite side of the wall, it wouldn’t budge. After many lazy efforts to try to actually lift the heavy box up, it fell out of my hands and the contents spilled across the floor. I heaved an exasperated sigh and went to my knee’s sorting through all the junk.

A shiny object caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head and to my surprise I saw a very old key. I was almost to afraid to pick it up because I thought it would break away at the slightest touch. This wasn’t a ordinary key you would use to open up a mail box though, this was a old fashion key like something out of mediaeval times. Next to the key, the wallpaper was slightly pealed off and I caught a hint of brown wood behind it.

My extreme curiosity got the best of me and I peeled the wall paper off a little more. A corner of chipped wood was revealed. Within a few seconds I had a large portion of the wallpaper gone. Behind it was a rotted dark wood regular size door. The only thing about this door that looked even remotely modern was a shiny glass door knob.

I stupidly reached for the door knob and turned, not thinking about what could be behind it. It was locked. I glanced back down at the key on the floor. I gently picked it up and carefully slipped it into the key hole on the knob. I heard a click and I slipped the key into my back pocket. I turned the knob for a second time and the door’s loud creak could be heard throughout the house as it leaches forward.