High Society

Chapter Two.

Eleanor Mansfield had first met Andrew on the boardwalk. She had been having the most glorious day with her girlfriends. Enjoying the first few days of summer brought back memories of her childhood. Camping with her grandparents, pampering with her girls, and hosting parties with her mother. Summer was a time for Eleanor to abandon her tutors and to allow the world to take her mind. Summer was a time when she could open up and allow experiences to change her.

The boardwalk was deserted. The sun was warm but comfortable against her skin. A light breeze pushed her locks from her face. The light scent of salt hung in the air. Tufts of pink cotton candy rolled across the warped wooden planks like tumbleweeds in the deserts. Eleanor sat and watched as excited children crowded the Ice-Cream Man and nannies pushed expensive strollers down the pier. Her friends had vanished inside of a store and had been gone for some time when a man sat down beside her.

He had the most beautiful brown eyes and a perfect, devilish smile. Her heart began beating faster and she caught faint whiffs of his scent. It was a miracle her ribcage was able to contain her racing heart. She tried to look away from the dashing figure.

“What’s your name, Pet?” He nudged her with a limp but purposeful finger. Without looking at the man she replied “, Elle.”

He nodded. “Miss Elle, I’d like to see you again. A sweet, little thing like you. The face of an angel. There’s just something about you. I have to have you. I’d like to offer you an invitation for dinner. Does that interest you?” He pulled a card from his pocket. Scrawled in fabulous, flawless letters was an address. She turned the card over between her fingers a few times. She felt the weight of the thick paper and took in the scent of fresh ink. The words clung to her fingers. He smiled upon noticing the ink on her fine skin. “Listen here, Lamb. Come have dinner with me tonight. My name is Andy. I’m going to show you the world. One night, and you’ll be my girl.” She nodded and just like that, he was gone.

Her friends called from her across the walk. She glanced over at the retreating man. Elle stuffed away the card as her cheery friends hurried towards her. She was overwhelmed by the pair. She had no idea why she wasn’t like them. Born to a prominent New York family, Elle was destined to lead the life of her mother. She was expected to gain a remarkable education and to hone a well-rounded assortment of skills. She was expected to throw lavish parties, dedicate her life to her husband, and to birth several beautiful children. Her life was planned for her. Elle could never be her own person according to this society. She was different. She wanted adventure. Right then and there she decided she would renounce this life and start anew. Andy would be the first step. She had wished she had asked his last name…