Status: a work in progress!

I Want Crazy

The wind whips the side of my face as the two boys fly past me to the cliff’s edge. “Really cool guys. Make me walk up by myself,” I holler.
My brothers let out a loud laugh, and I smack them both over the head. “You’re such a douche, Beth,” Tyler groans, rubbing the back of his head.
“Speaking of douches, anyone heard from Embry lately?” Quil wonders as he approaches us with Jake in tow.
“I saw him yesterday. He cut off all of his hair and got a tattoo. I barely recognized him,” I reply.
Jake shakes his head. “The wrong crowd,” he mutters. Tyler and I exchange a glance, and Brandon glares behind me at Jake. I know he doesn’t like my brothers anymore, and they stick it right back. The thing is, he just doesn’t get it yet.
At that, Brandon launches himself off of the cliff’s edge, and we hear him cheering all the way to the water. Tyler’s howling with laughter as he peers over the edge, giving Quil the opportunity to shove him. Quil follows Tyler off the cliff and into the water.
I pull my hair into a ponytail. “You’re leaving in two weeks,” Jake states, dropping down into the worn down grass. I look down at him.
“Yeah, I guess I am.” His lips pull into a frown. “I’m not sure of how I feel about it either…it sounded like a great idea at the time.” I sit cross-legged in front of Jake.
“It’s not exactly a short trip either.”
“Nineteen hours from here to USC.” We fall into an uncomfortable silence. We’ve never been separated since the day Jake was born. I had just celebrated my first birthday, and our mothers were ecstatic to have children so close together in age. Embry and Quil followed shortly, thereby creating our inner circle.
Brandon, Tyler, and Quil’s voices echo through the trees.
“I don’t feel like cliff jumping today,” I tell Jake. “Want to grab some lunch?”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Jake!” I call down the front porch steps. He waves over his shoulder and crosses the street to his home. “And feel better!”
Saying that phrase to him doesn’t feel any different, and seeing Jake’s number on my phone the next morning doesn’t look any different. But the tone of his voice when he tells me that he can’t see me again before I leave is different. I knew this call would come, but I’ve been spending my last few days hoping it won’t happen. Not yet.
  1. One.
    "I'm no stranger to being second best."
  2. Two.
    "I guess I couldn't stay away."
  3. Three.
    "You're a waste of anyone's time."
  4. Four.
    "Please come home."
  5. Five.
    "This is something you have to see to believe."
  6. Six.
    "That's a bold term for someone you won't date."