Status: a work in progress!

I Want Crazy

Six.

Like usual, I have my nose buried in a book before bed. I hear the howl of a wolf and cast a glance out of my window. There’s a little bit of snow falling from the partly cloudy sky, and the moon is reflecting off of snow.
Out of the tree line emerges a woman with fire red hair, and for a moment our eyes meet.
Just as fast as I see her, she’s gone. It stirs something uneasy deep down inside, and it urges me to pick up my phone and call Jake. He doesn’t answer, and I assume that it was his howl I heard a few moments ago. It puts my mind at ease for the time being—just long enough to fall asleep.
A loud clatter startles me from my sleep, and I shoot up and look around. My desk chair is on its back, and a few books are on the floor. I flip the light next to my desk on and glance around my room quickly. My heart is beating out of my chest.
I check the clock, and it’s 2:47 am. I can’t help it. I snatch up my phone and dial Jake.
“Hello?” He sounds like he was sleeping.
“Jake?” I hear his bed creak in the background.
“Beth, what’s wrong?”
“Can you come over?”
“Yeah, absolutely. Is everything okay?”
“I don’t know…something isn’t right.”
I stay on the phone with Jake and open my window for him when he gets here. He looks around and his face immediately scrunches up. “What’s the matter?” I inquire.
“It smells,” he comments. “Not like it usually does.” His eyes fall onto my desk chair. “What happened?”
“That’s why I called you. Something woke me up…before I went to bed, I saw something in the tree line.” Jake furrows his eyebrows. “I don’t know who it was exactly—“
“It was a person?”
“I think so.”
“It doesn’t smell like a person.” Jake grimaces, and it puts pit in my stomach. “Are your brothers here?”
I shake my head. “Brandon’s back at school, and Tyler is with Kayla tonight.”
“What about your dad?”
“You know he hasn’t phased in years.” To say Jake looks displeased would be an understatement. “Do you want to just spend the night?”
“Yeah, I do. I need to tell Sam in the morning about this.” I flip off the light. I get back into my bed and wait for him to climb in next to me. He wraps me up in his arms and holds me to his chest. It’s really comforting to have him with me, and it sends goose bumps down my skin when buries his face into the crook of my neck.

The next morning, we’re at Sam and Emily’s house explaining last night to the pack. “It sounds like Victoria,” Sam marvels.
Jake sighs heavily, shaking his head in disagreement
“Who?” I question.
“The leech who sent the new born army after Bella,” Paul spits with a low growl as an undertone.
“Are you serious? What would she even want from me that she was in my room?”
“She’s dead,” Jake cuts in. The pack falls eerily silent for a moment. “Seth witnessed it.” Seth nods in agreement.
“Yeah, Edward tore her up and burned the pieces,” Seth agrees. I cringe at the image Seth put into my mind.
“I have a hard time believing it,” Leah comments. Jake throws a glare at her.
“We all saw it,” Jake presses. “She’s dead.”
“Yeah, and thanks to her you almost were, too,” Quil cuts in. “What if it didn’t actually kill her?”
“It did.”
“So, it’s just another leech on our land. What else is new lately?” Embry sneers. “The area’s been crawling with them.”
“It’s possible she could have been just passing through, and since you saw her, she came in to have a look around. She probably smelled Jake and your brothers and left,” Sam assures. I nod and rub my eyes. “Did you tell your father?”
“Obviously. I had to explain why Jake was in my bed when he woke me up this morning,” I snap.
Paul lets out a laugh, probably at my tone of voice or that Jake was caught in my bed. “Alright, Beth. You don’t have to get upset,” Sam soothes. He rests his hand on my shoulder in comfort, but I shrug him off.
“No, Sam. I am upset. Shouldn’t you have known there’s a leech on the rez? Isn’t that your job? You’re the leader of this pack, yet there was a leech in my bedroom, going through my shit! I’m going to be upset about it!”
“Beth, calm down,” Jake steps in, resting his hands on my arms and separating me from Sam.
“Jake, don’t tell me to calm down!”
“Hey, you’re safe. That’s what matters, right?”
“What matters is that next time, it could be Emily or Claire or—“
“That’s enough,” Sam cuts me off sternly. He leans to the side a little to look at me. “Do not question my authority as Alpha.”
“Yeah, well, I’m questioning it, Sam. Any good Alpha wouldn’t let this happen. A good Alpha wouldn’t let a leech on the rez.”
I stomp out of the house at that. I know my words probably hit straight to Sam’s heart because he lives and breathes for this pack, but it pisses me off that he’s the Alpha when he’s not supposed to be.
“Beth,” Jake calls, rushing out after me.
“What!”
“What was that?” He gestures back to the house.
“What was that? That was me standing up for you!”
Jake sighs heavily. “Beth, you know that I don’t want to be the Alpha.”
“You don’t really have a choice, Jake. You were born into it, and you’re letting Sam walk all over you. Now look at what’s happening!”
“Don’t try and guilt trip me into this, Beth. I chose not to be the Alpha.”
“Bullshit! You didn’t even try to be.” He just stares at me for a solid thirty seconds, trying to decide what to do. Then he pulls me into a tight embrace.
I break down in his arms.
“I know you’re scared, Beth, but I’m not going to let anything happen to you.”

I pull my hood down and brush off my rain jacket. “It’s pouring,” I state as I walk into Jake’s house.
He’s drying his hair off with a towel. “I know. It’s wearing any scent away that we could catch, so we’ve got a perimeter set up around the house and wherever Bella is.” He shrugs. I drop down onto the couch.
“And whose idea was that?” The comment is snider than I meant it to be, but Jake shrugs it off.
“It was mine,” he answers, falling into the couch as well. He throws his arms over the back of the couch.
I glance at him, kind of shocked at his answer. “And since when are you making executive decisions?” He shrugs and keeps his focus on the TV. “You didn’t.”
“Babe, can you please just drop it?”
“Can you not call me babe?” Jake rolls his eyes, and I just stare at him. “Oh, sorry I don’t like being called babe after my last boyfriend hit me. Heaven forbid.” I push myself away from him on the couch and cross my arms over my chest.
“Boyfriend? Wow, that’s a bold term for someone you won’t date,” he snaps back. I scoff and stand up. “And where exactly do you think you’re going?”
“To bed. I can’t with you right now.”