You Make Me Want to Punch You in the Face

Meeting Derrell

It was a quite night in Houston. Which meant The Roadhouse got to close early. Ren had been cleaning up the bar for a few hours. Her shift had ended long ago, but she needed the extra money to get her brothers baseball equipment. Her boss, Derrell, was a very nice man who truly appreciated all her hard work. He became aware of how hard working she was when Ren came in on her 21st birthday to start bartending almost a year ago. After she seemed to finish Derrell walked up to her ready to give her a much overdue bonus.

“Hey there girly, tough night?”

She just kept cleaning as if she was ignoring him. It didn’t take long for him to realize Ren was listening to her ipod to pass the time. Derrell reached forward and yanked out an earbud. Ren quickly reached and grabbed his wrist, twisting it backward. When she realized it was him she quickly let go.”

“Oh damn boss, I’m so sorry! Why you’d sneak up on me?”

Derrell let out a bit of an aggravated sigh and rubbed his wrist. “Well I didn’t, you were just listening to your music too loud… Again.”

The side of Ren’s mouth pulled down in an odd pout. “Sorry, boss. You know I can’t help if my reaction.” Being in the military for two years gave Ren an unnatural instinct to defend when startled.

“It’s fine. I actually came over to reward you.”

Ren looked around confused. “For what? Staying?”

“No dummy. For just working hard. You know I can’t offer you a cash bonus or anything.”

“Okay…” Ren’s voice dropped to a sarcastic tone. “So, my reward is your appreciation. Thanks, I’ll be
sure to put it away for a rainy day.”

“Hey, don’t be a dick. I’m trying to be nice. I got these tickets for the AP tour that’s stopping in Corpus Christi tomorrow.”

“Holy shit.” Ren was a bit awe struck. The 2011 AP tour had some excellent bands on the roster.

“Language.”

“My bad boss.”

Derrell sighed, “I’ve got three tickets from a friend and was wondering if you wanted to come with me and my girlfriend?”

Derrell’s girlfriend, Chelsea, used to work at the bar. Upon falling for their young handsome boss she quickly quit to pursue love instead. Ren never really got that, but she didn’t question it either. “Hell ya I wanna go. You shutting down the place tomorrow then?”

“Nope. Mark pissed me off this morning, so he can deal without having our most popular bartender around.” Ren smiled at that, the assistant manager Mark was always a dick to her. No one ever really knew why, most just chocked it up to him being a sexist ass. “Only problem is we’re leaving tonight. Are you still cool with that?”

Ren’s eyes drifted up and to the left, reviewing everything she had to do the next few days. “Ya, I should be. Just gonna warn my mom.”

Derrell went back to closing down the bar and Ren pulled out her phone to text her mom. A small sigh escaped through her nose as the memories of the last four years ran though her mind. She had been living with her mother and three younger brothers and sister. Her father was sent to jail when she was very small and killed by Neo Nazis. Ren’s mother had children a few years after with a man she never married. Soon their father left and her mother couldn’t provide for them with her job at CiCi’s Pizza. So, Ren, who was living with her father’s family, moved back to the city to help mother and her four siblings, who moved into a small two bedroom apartment that she practically funded all on her own. The message to her mother was short and sweet, it stated she wouldn’t be home till the day after tomorrow. Once the bar was cleaned Derrell took Ren to pick up a few changes of clothes for the next few days. This was usual, over the years Derrell had become more of a friend than a boss and gave Ren rides home every night. Once they were secure in the old ford truck Derrell had owned for a few years Ren laid the seat back and quickly passed out due to pure exhaustion.

Derrell poked her in the cheek until she aggravatingly woke up. Ren drowsily made her way into the building and up the stairs while her friend waited in the car. By now it was almost 3 in the morning, but it was normal for Ren to come home at that hour since she worked in a bar. So, when she snuck in to her apartment and started to rummage through her things no one stirred from their sleep. Usually, she would just grab enough clothes to last the day, but it was a concert so she wanted to try and look nice. After grabbing a hand full of makeup, her favorite jewelry, and her skateboard she left as silently as she came. Ren took a quick glance at her mother that slept on the couch, knowing she wouldn’t worry once she saw Ren’s text when she woke up. Ren quickly returned to the car and had to jab Derrell awake. Eventually, it worked. Once they arrived at Derrell’s all he had to do was text Chelsea and she came out to meet them with two bags of clothes. They took the time to switch seats before heading out. Chelsea would be driving while Derrell tried to stay awake to keep her company in the passenger seat. Ren was crunched up in the small back seat and was able to get some rest. Working at The Roadhouse made trips like this to concerts in other cities semi-normal, so the truck was content in its crunched up coziness.

Being so early, there was no traffic so they arrived the pretty city in record time. Chelsea checked them in a little after 6 am, because soon after the road trip started Derrell fell asleep. Chelsea didn’t mind driving alone though, she knew the others needed their sleep. She placed the bags from the back of the truck in the small hotel room along with Ren’s skateboard, then woke the others up. They both woke up agitated and groggy. After getting out and stretching they’re sore muscles the group decided to get some food at the continental breakfast. None of them made very much money so they wouldn’t miss free food, even if they were exhausted. That is also why they were just paying for a one bedroom. After stuffing their faces at a breakfast filled with yawns, they retired to the room. Derrell and Ren were still there work clothes, which for him meant black slacks and a button up and for her meant a black muscle top and slacks. None of them seemed to mind, though. The couple took the bed and Ren feel asleep on the makeshift bed she made out of the chair and footrest.

Ren woke up to the sound of the shower. After catching her bearings she realized Chelsea was in the shower and Derrell was still asleep. She pulled out her old phone and saw it was 10:45 in the morning. Ren tied up her hair and started to stretch. She didn’t bring clothes to go running but she started to do quiet exercises on the floor like push-ups and sit-ups. Ren was a very fit person, due to the fact she was an overweight child and wanted to be healthy as an adult. Chelsea came out of the shower wearing a towel. She let out a small eep before returning to the bathroom. They weren’t really friends, just acquaintances. So, Chelsea wasn’t comfortable in such a venerable state in front of Ren.

“What are you doing?” Chelsea whispered in a harsh tone from the bathroom. “I thought you were sleeping.”

Ren whispered back without stopping. “I’m a light sleeper and I’m currently working out. Gotta keep up my rippling muscles. How else am I gonna beat off the guys.” Her voice dripped with sarcasm. ”I can almost deadlift Derrell.”

Chelsea wore a shocked face. “No. Fucking. Way.”

Ren smiled as she continued. “Yep. You done?” She pointed to the shower.

The other girl nodded and Ren grabbed her bag before occupying the bathroom. She took a quick shower in order to get out of the hotel and work the boardwalk. Ren had to make money somehow, and since she was taking the day off doing acrobatic tricks for tips was better than nothing. After getting out she dried off and braided her semi wet hair. After getting clothes on she left the room to find Derrell awake and Chelsea kissing him good morning. It was cute, awkward, but cute. After noticing her Derrell said good morning and started to really wake up.

“So boss, who is playing at this anyway? I know Ronnie Radke’s new band is there, but who else?” Ren questioned as she put her socks on.

“Oh, hold on.” He pulled out the tickets from his back pocket and read them over. “Uh, Asking Alexandria is heading it with Black Veil Brides.”

“Oh, fuck ya. That’s excellent.” Ren had just gotten her shoes on and started on her jewelry.

“You know those bands? I love BVB!” Chelsea said, that didn’t really surprise Ren though. Chelsea used to be a scene kid and listened to her music so loud after work it almost defended the entire bar. She hadn’t really changed much, but maybe their shared appreciation would spark a friendship.
By now Derrell had made his dramatic eye roll exit to the bathroom to shower. Ren had started to put on some light makeup in the mirror. She never went overboard with it, just 20’s style eye shadow, light eye liner, and lip gloss.

“Ya, been a fan of the Black Veil Brides since before they’re first record.”

Chelsea grabbed her cheek and pranced in placed excitedly. “Oh my god really?!”

“Yep, but honestly I’m more excited about Asking Alexandria. I wanna see Danny preform clean. Wonder if it will be any different?”

Just as she finished her makeup her hands were abducted by Chelsea. “Oh my god I had no idea! You don’t… exactly look like a fan of theirs.”

Ren knew she didn’t look like most fans. She didn’t look crazy scene or emo or goth. If she had to label it she would call herself a mix between skater, tomboy, and lumberjack. But it didn’t mean Ren didn’t love hard or metal or punk music. Ren knew Chelsea wasn’t trying to sound rude, but she didn’t liked when people assumed anything about her. “Well I’m a fan of almost all music. Shouldn’t assume Chelsea, I also like rap and country.”

The shorter girl bit her lip a little understanding what Ren meant. “Why you getting ready so early?”

“Gonna go to the boardwalk and preform tricks for tips. Just text me when you guys wanna grab lunch or something. Then you guys can come and pick me up.” Ren was talking while grabbing her board, Derrell’s hat, and headed for the door.

“Okay, cool. See ya!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a short intro to Ren and Derrell.