There's Oceans In-Between Us, but That's Not Very Far

Chapter 001

Image

"Matt I really need on the computer," I yelled at my older brother.

He's always on it. I haven't gotten the chance to check my myspace in like three days... I'm gonna die.

"Fine. But when you're off I'm so back on," He said getting up and leaving.

Thank God. I logged in to myspace and I saw that I had a few comments and a new message. I clicked on the comments first. They were from my friends Jake and Kelly. Being typical myspace comments... Hey how are you etc. I checked the message and it was from this guy named Corey. I don't know any Coreys. First I figured it was a spam message seeing that the subject said hey... how are you... But I clicked on it anyway and to my surprise it wasn't spam. Here's what it said:

Hey, I'm Corey. I'm guessing your name is Amber. I was just looking at random people on here and came across your profile and thought you seemed like this really awesome chick. Not to mention you're beautiful. Should I have really put that. You do have a boyfriend right? It says you're in a relationship. Anyway sorry. Hit me up for an add or message anytime. I would really like to get to know you.

Usually I would have stopped reading it after he said I was beautiful, but he didn't seem like this weird old dude. How old is he anyway? I clicked on his profile and it said he was 23... ok not bad seeing that I'm 21. But it said he was from Australia. Ok, that's kind of far away. (I live in LA.) Oh well, it really couldn't hurt anything talking to him could it? Like I'm going to fly to Australia anytime soon. Well maybe soon. For some reason my mom and dad moved there as soon as Matt and I moved out. They want us to come visit them but... Wait... No... I haven't even replied to this dude's message yet or knows what he looks like. So here I am looking at this dude. He is kinda cute. He has this wavy brown hair, dark brown eyes that are just gorgeous, a pretty white smile, and he had a lip ring on the left side of his mouth. Not bad if you ask me. So enough of the pictures I have to reply to his message.

Hi Corey. Yes I'm Amber. Thank you for all your compliments. I think you're rather attractive too. Oh and the boyfriend thing. We broke up like a week ago and I just haven't changed it yet. And feel free to ask me anything. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

I sent it and signed off.

"Matt, I'm done," I yelled at him. I do that a lot.

"Never mind. I don't need it now," he yelled back.

Urg.. He makes me mad. Anyway I told Kelly I would meet her later. I put my shoes on and walked towards this nice little place that we meet at all the time. I made it there and saw her sitting at the booth that we always sit at. We started talking about our normal subjects and then all of a sudden that Corey guy came into my head.

"This guy started talking to me on myspace," I said after the conversation died down.

"Oh really... Amber's going to get raped," she said teasing me.

"Oh God. The weird thing was that he said I was beautiful. But I kind of let that go. He was kind of good looking himself though," I said replying to her.

"Oooo... So where might this guy be from?" Yeah about that...

"Brisbane."

"Isn't that where your parents are?"

"Yeah. But like I would meet him. I've only talked to him once." I can feel her getting ready to flip on out me for talking to this dude.

"I just want to approve of him before anything happens between you two."

"Ok... You seriously think I'm just so going to fall in love with this guy and I don't even know his last name." I just thought she was thinking WAY into the future or just thinking weird.

"You know it would be sweet ass if this dude was Corey Bohan," she said crossing her arms and sitting back. Oh God here we go.

"Who the hell is Corey Bohan?" Like I know who that is. I'm not into the same things as she is.

"He's this BMXer. He's amazing. And kind of hot if you ask me. Oh and he is from Brisbane."

Great. Now she thinks this guy I'm talking to is this superstar BMXer. That stuff is pretty sweet though. But I'm sure there are 50 million Coreys in the world. What's the chance this one is the BMXer Corey? Not very big if you ask me. Anyway, we moved away from that subject and just talked about... basically everything else. But of course our last subject just so happened to be about my ex boyfriend... GREAT.

"So, you never really told me why you and Travis broke up," Kelly said. Yeah I try to avoid that issues a lot.

"He had to do all this touring." There we go. Keep it short. She'll get the hint.

"Touring? For what? He isn't famous." Yeah she totally got the hint.

"He auditioned for this new group thing and they called him. So he had to leave to do all the rehearsals and recording." She's like the only person I've told this to. I'm really not one to just put my personal life out there. I'm a really private person.

"Yeah he could sing. So its a group like the backstreet boys or nysnc?" Wow... I didn't say boy band. She thinks way too much.

"No. I don't think so anyway. But I loved nysnc so much," I said smiling. I can't lie. They were amazing.

"No way. You so did not," She said leaning forward.

This went on this way for a good 10 minutes. She just thinks it's so surprising because I listen to kind of heavy stuff now. But its all good. We decided to finally leave and I went home to find that Matt wasn't there. Wow... What did I do so right? Oh well. Don't really care right now. I jumped right back on the computer. First things first. Gotta sign onto AIM. Of course no one's on... Anti social freaks. So I checked my myspace again. Saw that I had a new message. Hmmm... Wonder who it's from? Click on it and its from Corey.

Wow you're rather nice. Most of the chicks I try to talk to on here think that I'm just hitting on them. Anyway I'm sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend. Hoped everything turned out for the best. Oh and I do have a question... Do you have AIM? I think that would be so much easier to talk on then the messaging back and forth.

Ok... I got a little better impression of what he's like now... Just a little one though... Not enough for me to have any type of crush on him. He does seem really nice and sweet though. Sweet enough that I had to reply.

Yeah I do have AIM. It's iHeartTravie3324. Don't ask.

Yes I did have a screen name with my ex boyfriend's name in it. Hey at least I didn't get his name tattooed on my ass right? Anyway, I sent the message and checked a few other websites that I frequently visit. Right when I was checking out these new pictures of my favorite band, someone IMed me with the screen name BauMssXie. [Writer Note: Yeah I kind of didn't know what to put for Corey's screen name with out putting his name in it so yeah... I know it sucks.]

BauMssXie: Amber?

Ok... Seeing the Aussie in between the letter gave me the idea that it was Corey... But I didn't want to say hey Corey how's it going and it be someone else. So I waited a few seconds to see if he would type anything else.

BauMssXie: Sorry... It's Corey.

Alright.... I knew it. Yep, I'm a genius.

iHeartTravie3324: Hey... You kinda scared me... I thought you were like this weird old dude.

BauMssXie: I'm sorry I messaged you back but I take it you didn’t get it.

iHeartTravie3324: Nope. Sorry. I usually check myspace once and that's it until i get back on later.

We kept the conversation going really well. It really surprised me. I'm usually this really shy person, but we talked for like a good hour and we're still talking now.

BauMssXie: So i have to ask who's Travie?

How did I not know this was coming? But I did tell him I would answer any questions he had.

iHeartTravie3324: My ex... another thing I haven't changed yet. His name was Travis, but I always called him Travie.

BauMssXie: Oh I see so could i ask why it ended?

I kind of hesitated for some reason... This guy is someone I just started talking to through myspace out of all places... Should I really be telling him personal stuff? I've seen those Dateline shows where they get the 40 year old dudes trying to sleep with freaking 13 year olds... But then again I'm 21 and he's 23... It's not illegal... And he hasn't been creepy at all. So I took a deep breath and started typing.

iHeartTravie3324: Well he always wanted to be this 'superstar singer' so he did this audition thing and the people called him. So he had to leave so we just agreed that it would be the best thing to just keep in touch and not have a 'serious relationship'.

BauMssXie: Oh I'm sorry are you still into him

iHeartTravie3324: NO!

BauMssXie: Ok... So do you hate him or something now... That was kinda a quick response.

iHeartTravie3324: I don't know... Hes just being weird and I don't like it. He wont tell me why so i just kind of gave up. I guess you could say so.

I heard a car door slam so I looked out the window really fast. It was Matt. Yeah this is great. He's going to ask who I'm talking to and then he'll ask all these questions. And plus I have been on here for awhile. I should really get off.

iHeartTravie3324: I'm sorry my bros home. I really got to go. Later.

BauMssXie: Alright talk to you later.

I signed off and went to myspace real fast before Matt could see anything suspicious. Since I haven't already, I thought I should add Corey to my friends. I was on his profile when Matt walked in.

"Who's that?" He asked looking at the computer screen... Can you say over protective brother?

"A guy. He's kind of hot isn't he?" I asked trying to make him think I was just browsing.

"Wow... Australia huh? He know mom and dad?" he asked. I hope he wasn't serious.

"I don't know. I haven't asked him yet." Shit. Hopefully he didn't catch that.

"You're talking to him?" Great. I can feel a flipping out coming on.

"No," I said clicking the browser closed and heading up the stairs towards my room.

"Am, don't lie to me," He yelled as I slammed my door shut.

Why does he care so much. Like, it's nice that he does care, but sometimes its just too much. I need space. I sat on my bed just kind of staring off into space when I came across my suitcases. I just got this great idea. I picked up my cell phone and dialed a number that I haven't for the longest time. It rang a few times before someone answered.

"Ams?" the women asked on the other line.

"Mom!" I said a little happy. I haven't talked to either one of my parents in like 2 weeks.

"Hey everything alright? I haven't heard from you or Matt in awhile."

"Well I was just wondering if there was anyway I could like fly over to you guys over night some how."
♠ ♠ ♠
Corey

Amber

comment?