There's Oceans In-Between Us, but That's Not Very Far

Chapter 002

Image

God I love my parents so much. They so just bought me a plane ticket to come and visit them. Yeah, I'm happy. And I get to get away from Matt and he's going to be all worried about me hanging out with Corey. Haha that’s funny. I packed all my clothes, makeup, and all that other good stuff in seriously like 5 minutes. I walked downstairs and found... Matt... with a suitcase? Why?

"What are you doing?" I asked as I came to the bottom step.

"Same as you. Going to see mom and dad."

NO... This is not happening. This just ruined my perfect plan to make him worry.

"Mom called and said you wanted to go so she called me and asked if I wanted to."

Urg... Why? They just went from the most perfect parents ever to this 'have to be fair and make sure both of the kids come to visit' parents. But I don't necessarily have to hang out with Matt. I could just avoid him. There we go avoid him.

"Oh," I said as he walked out the door and out to his car.

Well here we go... He drove to the airport, we did all that security stuff to get onto the plane, and we were off. I told myself I wouldn't talk to him the whole way there. And I didn't. It was great. Thank God my ipod lasted that long. When we got off the plane and got our luggage we were greeted by our parents. Wow, I haven't seen them in so long. They look like they haven't changed at all. We all had our nice little hello how are you and they took us to their house. Wow... It was nice. My mom showed me the room I was staying in and it turned out to be the computer room. SWEET! She left and I just kind of looked around. There was a window on the far wall. I looked out and there's these dirt jumps in the neighbors backyard. That's pretty sweet. Maybe they're BMXers. That would be so amazing. Kelly would hate me so much. I got called downstairs for dinner that my mom made. It was delicious. We all started talking afterwards.

"So who are your neighbors? Like they're no hardcore partiers or anything like that?" I asked trying to act 'casual'.

"They're younger kids. Probably around your age. But they do have quit a few people over every once in a while, but they've never kept us up all night. We've talked a few times too. Nice kid the one is. I can't remember his name though. I'll think of it later," my dad said looking at me.

Damn... No partying. Now what? I need something to do. My dad and Matt got into this conversation about cars. So my topic to talk about. My mom was in the kitchen finishing up dishes so I just went upstairs and got on the computer. I signed on to AIM and myspace. I saw Corey was on and decided to tell him I'm in Brisbane... Wait no... Then he'll want to hang out. Bad idea. Don't know him well enough yet. So I just do all my browsing. I decide to change my myspace name from Amber to Amber [Is in Australia]. So great right? No one else could have thought of it in the world. But I was bored and needed something to do. Sure enough Corey's screen name pops up in a little pop up window. Nothing really special about this convo though. Just the basics I guess... How are you? What are you doing tonight? Yep, stuff like that. Around midnight Aussie time, I was exhausted. I told Corey I really had to go and get some sleep and signed off AIM. I laid on my bed and drifted to sleep.

Downstairs {Matt's POV}
______________________________________________________________________________

"So Matt, how have you and your sister been getting along?" dad asked me after Amber went upstairs.

"Right now we're kind of in this argument thing. She hasn't talked to me since we left," I replied.

"About what? It must be something big if she hasn't talked to you in that long," Mom said coming into the dinning room now. Great. They've always babied her just because she's the younger one.

"I think she's been talking to this guy online. I kind of bit at her when I asked if she was, which probably wasn't the best idea," I said trying to come across as I know what I did was wrong.

"How old is this guy?" Dad asked. What?... No you know your sister can talk to who ever she wants to. Wow I'm liking this.

"I don't really know. He looks younger. I just saw that he was from Brisbane. And then I got to thinking that’s the reason why she wanted to come here. But maybe I was wrong. Maybe she just wanted to see you guys."

"And you're just telling us this now?" Dad asked.

"I just found out last night. Ask her all these questions. Not me." Well I guess it would be last night since we are in Australia.

"It's late. I'll do it in the morning," Mom said walking down the hall to I take it as their bedroom.

I don't know. I haven't seen the whole house yet. My dad kept trying to get me to say more about the Amber and the other dude issue, but I didn't know anymore than what I told them. After about a good 5 minutes of just sitting there with nothing to say I went upstairs and went to bed.

When I woke up in the morning, I threw some clean clothes on and went downstairs. I see Amber sitting at one of the ends of the table with her arms crossed. Must be some lecturing going down. Lets see if she gets band from the computer. I sit down at the table hoping to hear something interesting. So I sat there... And sat there... And sat there. Nothing. How is that possible? They seemed so worked up and upset about Am talking to this random dude on the internet but yet, they're not saying anything to her. I so don't get them. But after we all enjoyed breakfast, dad started hinting about it. Yay!

"So Ams, any new boyfriend since Travis?"

"No. I haven't really talked to any guys besides Matt and Jake," she said. I could just tell she was lying. She had that look on her face that she was doing something wrong.

"Oh," he said looking down at the table. Ok... awkward silence. But then mom breaks it. Surprise to me.

"Amber, Matt told us that you've been talking to this guy online from Australia."

Whoa whoa whoa... No Matt said this. I just thought I would put something out there. I really didn't want to look over at her. I knew when her and I were in a room alone, she would so let me have it.

"Maybe Matt's just flipping out because I've only seen his myspace. I haven't talked to him. I don't trust any guy that I don't know on the internet. Why would I talk to one, especially if they live clear over here?" she said acting all offended. Yeah great. Make me look like the bad guy here.

"Just don't be stupid on there. Think before you say or do anything," Mom said.

Amber shook her head and stormed upstairs. Great. But then I got to thinking... Maybe she wasn't talking to this guy. Maybe she was just checking out his myspace and just said she didn't ask him anything yet just to piss me off some how. I don't know... Maybe I should apologize. It is the right thing to do. I walked upstairs to Amber's room and found her at the computer. Big surprise right? She looked up at me like she was doing something wrong.

"What do you want?" she asked in this mean way.

"I just wanted to say I was sorry for telling mom and dad that I thought you were talking to this guy. I really shouldn't have said anything," I said not moving from the doorway.

"Matt, you shouldn't be," she said lessening the look she was giving me. I'm a little confused now. She was just pissed off like two seconds ago and now she's like no don't be sorry.

"Wait what?"

"You can't get mad at me... But I am talking to that guy that you asked about the other night. But it's just talking. No I want to meet you or where exactly do you live? You can read the conversations if you want," she did seem really serious about this. And she does have common sense so I don't think she would do anything stupid with this dude.

"No, that's ok. I just didn't want you coming out here to just meet a guy that you don't really know."

"You seriously think I would do that? Yeah I think he's hott and he seems really cool, but that's just what he's being on the internet." See common sense.

"Alright. I won't tell mom or dad. Just watch what you say," I said and then went back downstairs.