There's Oceans In-Between Us, but That's Not Very Far

Chapter 004

Image

I woke up in the morning and felt really happy for some reason. I got dressed and went downstairs to find mom and dad in the kitchen.

"Morning Amber," Dad said after he put his coffee mug down.

"Good morning.... Where's Matt?" I asked noticing he wasn't there. Yeah he's not hard too miss.

"He hasn't came down yet this morning. What time did you guys get home last night?" he asked looking at me differently.

"Around 1:30. He should be up by now though," I said sitting down beside him.

"Wow... How much did you guys drink?" he asked.

"I only had like half a beer and Matt..." I trailed off...

Yeah, I don't know if he drank anything. I WASN'T AROUND HIM ALL NIGHT... ok... a little trouble...

"He didn't drink anything but water... Being the good designated driver."

Yeah I hope he doesn't come down all hung over. Dad just nodded and went to looking at the news paper.

"Why don't I just go check on him?" I said getting up before he could stop me.

I went up to his room and I found that he wasn't there... Ok... Dad said he hasn't been downstairs yet this morning... He has to be up here. I heard something from my room and went to check it out. Turns out that the noise was coming from Matt on the computer.

"What are you doing?" I asked because he looked at me like he just got caught doing something wrong.

"Noth... Nothing," He said fumbling with the mouse.

I grabbed his hand before he could try to cancel out anything that he as doing. I looked at the screen and saw that he was looking through all of my aim conversations. And behind that was my myspace inbox. I don't even know how he got the passwords to get onto them.

"Matt this is a total invasion of my privacy," I said. He's never done anything like this before.

"You met a guy you don't even know," he said borderline yelling right now.

"So... Nothing bad happened. We hung out, danced, and just talked. I see no harm in that," I said as my anger level was rising.

"Am, you told me you weren't going to meet him."

"Yeah, I kind of lied didn't I?"

"Wait til Mom and Dad find out," he said heading for the door.

"Matt, no," I said blocking him.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't tell them," he said giving me this glare.

I really couldn't think of anything. But I was just so pissed right now that I could punch him in the face and not feel bad about it ever. I got out of his way and he went downstairs. I put my shoes on and headed that way too.

"He's lying... Whatever he says, it's not true," I yelled as I went down the stairs and made it to the front door.

I opened it and walked right into someone. Yeah smooth. I look up and see... No... Corey?

"Uh... Hi," I said trying to play that off.

"Amber? Why are you here?" he asked... I think he was kind of caught off guard...

"My parents live here," I said taking in the site of him.

I take it he just got out of bed. He had a pair of, I would say bored shorts but they could be something else, and his boxers were showing a little above them and to top that all off he didn't have a shirt on. Yeah that was wonderful to see when you're as pissed off as I am.

"Seriously?" he asked with this look.

"Yeah... Why are you here?" I asked.

"I got their mail again. I have enough bills. I don't need theirs," he said handing me a stack of about 4 envelopes.

"Thanks... Do you..." I was cut off by my dad coming to the door.

"Oh, hi Corey. This is my daughter Amber," Dad said taking the envelopes from me.

"Yeah, we kind of met last night," Corey said. Smooth dude... Real smooth. Yeah, my dad's not too found of me meeting guys at random places... Wonder what he would think of the internet.

"Oh really. You didn't tell me that, Am," Dad said looking down at me. He didn't seem too upset about it, but then again, Corey was right there.

"It must have slipped my mind," I said.

"You know Amber if you ever get bored, I just live next door," Corey said.

"Alright. I will," I said as he turned to walk away. "Oh hey. I'm having a little party tonight. If you want to come, I told people to come around 8 but if you want to come early, that's cool," he said as he got to the sidewalk.

"Ok. I'll be there," I said smiling. Dad closed the door and looked down at me.

"You met last night? Should I even ask what happened?" Yeah I think I know where Matt gets the over protectiveness from.

"We hung out and he bought me a drink," I said walking back inside. I didn't feel the need to leave now.

"So, what was Matt lying about?" Mom asked as I was on my way back upstairs to go into my little emo corner.

"Nothing... I was just mad and wanted to blame someone else," I said stopping.

"So, you going to hang out with your internet boyfriend again tonight, Am?" Matt asked who was sitting at the table.

"Internet boyfriend? Amber, I think you need to tell us some things," Mom said pointing at the chair across from Matt.

No... I can't lie like this to their face. I sat down in the chair with my arms crossed looking at the table.

"Why is he saying this? Especially after Corey was just here," Mom said doing her Dr. Phil thing.

"I don't know. Ask him," I said glaring at him. Ew, I could so jump over this table and just smack that smirk right off his face. She looked at him giving him the explain look.

"Corey's the guy that Amber's been talking to on the internet. I found out that the reason she wanted to go out last night was to meet him," Matt said... I really hated the cockiness in his voice right now. Mom gave Dad this what do I do look.

"Amber I don't want to say what you did wasn't wrong but... I know Corey and he is a good kid. But you can't keep seeing him or any other guy that tells you you're beautiful on the computer," Dad said.

"But Corey never said I was beautiful or any other word for attractive," Well maybe he did, but they don't have to know that. "And I didn't have any attentions to meet Corey when I came here. I was just bored and he just suggested that we hang out... But maybe if we actually did things as a family instead of just talked to Matt every time I was around, maybe I wouldn't have met Corey last night and there wouldn't be this drama today," I said wanting to piss them off as much as I was right now.

"Amber that's not true," Dad said trying to calm me down... Or maybe he was trying to convinced himself of that.

"Hell if it isn't. That's why I called and asked if I could come BY MYSELF... But no you had to call Matt to see if he wanted come," I said standing up.

"Amber, watch your mouth," Dad tried to say in this 'intimidating voice'. Yeah so worked.

"Fine... I'll just be in my room. Talk to Matt all you want. He should know everything. He went through my myspace and all the conversations I had with Corey. But no, Matt's a good kid. He wouldn't do anything like that would he?" I said storming upstairs and slamming my door shut.

I could scream someone's head off right now... But I'll choose Norma Jean instead. I blared Blueprints for Future Homes when mom walked in. I didn't even bother to look at her. She went over and turned the music off and she just stood there.

"Amber, Matt did have a pretty good reason to do what he did," she said in this oh its going to be all ok voice.

"Yeah. I just over reacted right?" I bit at her.

"And we don't think you're a bad kid," she said still in that voice.

"That's why you give Matt all the pats on the back and good job son. And here I am just standing there with a fake smile. You've always favored him. Why lie about?" I asked finally looking at her.

"No, we haven't," she said. Yeah sure.

"Yes, you have. He always got the better grades, was always the 'star player' in ever sport in high school and now college, and he's always the 'head' of every club that there can be."

"Just because Matt's in all this stuff doesn't mean we favor him," she said staring to raise her voice.

"Oh so if Matt was in the same situation I'm in now and he went out and met a chick he was talking to on the internet, what would he get from you guys? Oh Matt, it's so good to see you dating a wonderful girl. But when I meet a guy, I get oh Amber he's a good kid, but you shouldn't see him anymore. Maybe I thought Corey was an amazing guy and just go with this and see what happens," I said standing up and walking over to her.

"But you started talking to him off the internet. He can't be that amazing. You can do whatever you want, but you're not going to his party or going anywhere near him," she said like I wouldn't response to this.

"You can't keep me from someone," I said getting really mad really fast...

"Yes, we can. We're your parents and you're staying under our roof," She said in a smart ass way.

"So you're just going lock me in this shitty room the whole time I'm here," I said. They hate it when I cuss at them... Figured I could just push as many buttons as I could.

"Watch your mouth," she said pointing a finger at me.

"No. You're going to keep me from a guy that you don't even fucking know and don't even want to try to get to know. That's so fuc..." She cut me off my slapping me in the face. My hand went straight to my face. My god she put power in that. I could feel the sting all over my face right now.

"You fucking bitch," I said pushing past her and running down the stairs and out the front door.