Status: I appreciate any feedback, this is a rewritten version of R.O.E.Z

Fury

A Chance

Kenny flipped the pages over and sigh deeply. He loved the way the journal pages had been written. It was very detailed and told him a lot about what had happened during The Spread. Kenny set the pages down on his nightstand and lay on his back, wondering what it’d be like to actually meet this person. He’d have so much that he’d like to ask him. Kenny was a wiry, dark skinned, eighteen year old boy with tussled black hair, and dark brown eyes.
His door creaked open and Carter stepped in. Carter was, according to everyone else but Kenny, the most attractive girl in Z-less. To Kenny, she was every bit his best friend, but he didn’t even think of considering her anything more. He thought that’d be dangerous ground to try and run on, so he satisfied himself by just allowing himself to be her friend, nothing more however. Carter was about 5’8, strong, smart, cunning, and attractive. She had red hair that fell to her shoulder, bangs that covered on her eyes unless she wanted them to cover both. She had a kind face and smile with pure light blue eyes that seemed to hold more wisdom than she would let on. She was developing a body, but Kenny tried hard not to notice it. She wore a white T-shirt, blue shorts and no shoes like always, revealing toes that she did not like to paint, although every other girl told her she should paint them. But that was something that Kenny liked about her. She was girly, but not too girly. “Hey Kenny,” she said, smiling at him.
“Hey Carter,” Kenny said, still lost in thought.
Carter went and sat on his bed. “What’s up?”
Kenny shrugged. “Not much, just thinking.”
“About?” Carter persisted.
“About the Lost World.”
Carter frowned. “You’ve been reading that journal entry still?” she asked in an exasperated voice.
Kenny nodded. “Can’t help it, it’s very well written and entertaining.”

Carter nodded her understanding. “But it was written five years ago, Kenny,” she said. “No way, the dude who wrote it is still alive, there’s just no way. Five years out in the Lost world is like an eternity.”
“I know, but it’s still cool to wonder what he’s like today, if he’s still alive.”
Carter frowned. “I don’t like the way that this journal entry is making you think,” she said.
Kenny sigh and put the yellowing pages in his drawer. “Don’t worry, it won’t make me suddenly leave or do something stupid like that,” he said, sitting up and yawning.
“Good,” Carter said, smiling again. “Oh yea,” she said. “Your uncle said that you can go raiding with them today.”
Kenny looked at her sharply. “Are you serious?” he asked, barely able to believe it. His uncle rarely even let him out of the house on his own nowadays.
Carter nodded. “Serious as a heart attack. He said to go find him over at Cecil’s.”
Kenny jumped up. “Awesome,” he said. “I guess I’ll see you later then,” he said, going to the door. “Kenny,” Carter said suddenly.
Kenny stopped, hand on the doorknob. “What’s up?”
Carter looked like she wanted to say something, but then she smiled and shook her head. “Nothing. Just have fun I guess.”
Kenny smiled wide. “I will,” he said. He opened the door and bolted down the stairs. He flew out the door and ran all the way to Cecil’s house which was on the other side of town. An athletic man about 6’4 with huge arms and a shotgun slung on his back stopped him at the door.
“I’m ready,” Kenny said, smiling.
“I’ll be the judge of that,” the man said. The man had dark brown eyes, a kind face, black short hair, and a scar on his left cheek that looked like a cross.
“Aw come on Uncle Steven, you know that I know everything that you told me I had to know.”
His uncle looked down at him with a twinkle in his eyes. “Maybe, but I still have to do this, it’s rules after all Kenny.” Kenny sigh deeply. His uncle clapped a hand on his arm and to Kenny it felt like he’d been slugged.
“It’s not so bad,” he said. “At least after this you get to go raiding with us, so cheer up, recite your part, and we’re out of here.” Slightly cheered, Kenny raised his head and began to speak.
“My name is Kenny Cross and I’m from the town of Z-less, which was formed as one of only six survivor towns in California at this point in life. However, Z-less town came around not even a full year after The Spread happened. It started as a couple survivors getting together and holding down an area, but as more and more people seemed to find their way here, things began to change. We began to build. We built houses and workshops into the side of a mountain, knowing that it’d be hard to invade it this way. Nothing too complicated for fear of an overwhelming attack, in which case, we could move on without too much grief. As the people increased so did the need for both security, food, and of course water. Now security wasn’t too hard to come by. We gave the more reliable people the guns and we set up electric fences which we use batteries from wrecked cars to power. Lately however, we have had success in clearing out the area around the gates of Z-less. The water is easy to come by since it rains a lot and we know how to get it through our aquifers. We have three wells right now that we use for this. Food however, is something else. We have many people, so we need a lot of food. We send raiding parties out twice every week. Once on Mondays and another time on Fridays.”
“Unfortunately, since we have so many people here, we’ve had to come up with a system where you work for food and other things. We’ve come to call this new money Work Dollars. It’s made from the bark of trees and hand printed by the towns mayor, Mayor West. The method is kept secret and only a handful of townsfolk know how to make them.” His uncle nodded in satisfaction.
“Who killed your parents?” he asked him. Kenny’s face turned hard. “Zombies killed them sir.” His uncle grunted and pulled a hand mirror from his belt. He held in front of Kenny’s face. Kenny looked at his reflection. His eyes were light blue, specked with green, with brown wavy hair. Being inside so long had made him paler than he meant to be, but what nabbed his attention was his face at the moment. The mention of Zombies had made his eyes hard and cold.
“This is the face we need tonight Kenny,” his uncle said. “Do you understand why?” Kenny nodded slowly. ‘Why?” his uncle barked.
“Because we may be attacked by Zombies and we cannot afford to have any kind of moral weakness that would normally make us unable to kill, which may or may not need to be done while we’re raiding.”

“Exactly,” his uncle said approvingly. “But you’ve forgotten some things about our town that I need you to try and remember.”
Kenny bowed his head for a moment, struggling to remember what he’d forgotten. Then, just as quickly, he remembered what he’d forgotten. The workshops consist of the blacksmith who makes the weapons we use. The general store, which sells the food we eat. And the Bounty Lounge, which is where people who’ve made it their job, go when they’ve completed a specific bounty for a person. However, they have to bring back proof that they’ve done the deed or they receive no payment. Another thing is that the bounty hunters are not allowed to spend more than 24 hours in town because the town does not encourage what they do. They merely tolerate it.”
“Perfect Kenny,” his uncle said, clapping him on the back again. “Let’s get you to Cecil’s so we can get you equipped for your first raid. After that, there’s one more thing about our town that you’ll find out.”
He turned around and started up the hill, expecting Kenny to follow him, which he did. “What don’t I know?” he couldn’t help but wonder. He didn’t have much time to dwell on it however, as he was already at Cecil’s door before he knew it.
Cecil was a skinny shifty man, but everyone in town seemed to trust him despite his constant fidgeting. “So this your nephew?” he asked, looking at Kenny.
Steven nodded. “Pay his age no mind. I believe he’s ready.” Cecil nodded his understanding and laid out a mat before Kenny. On it were the supplies he’d be using to go Raiding. Since he was so young they didn’t dare trust him with a gun. Instead they gave him a small carpet to put over himself like everyone else in the party did, but to Kenny it looked too bulky and ugly to be used effectively on him.
“Can I get a favor?” he asked Cecil.
“Um sure,” he said.
“Can I ditch the carpet? It looks too heavy to be of much use.” Cecil began to frown.
“Oh no, don’t get the wrong idea,” Kenny said. “Your carpets are the best in protecting. I just need something lighter, maybe something that could cover my legs and arms, so that I could stay light and quick.”
Cecil’s eyes lit up. “I like the way you think,” he said. He turned and looked at Steven. He nodded and Steven nodded as if they agreed on something. Then Cecil disappeared inside and almost instantly, he was back holding a small bag.
He handed it to Kenny, who opened it and lay it on the ground. He picked up a gauntlet looking thing and slid his arm into it, noticing with satisfaction that it did indeed cover his whole arm. There was also a glove at the end of it made of thick carpet. Kenny looked up at Cecil questioningly.
“Just in case you’re out of weapons and fear getting bit if you punch a Zombie,” he explained. “Don’t worry, it has a strap where you can take it off.” Next Kenny tried on the leggings and smiled. They were perfect. He looked over his weapons now. They had given him a sword, two small knives, and a large one that went in a strap across his chest. Kenny was in awe. Everything was perfect and he loved it.
“Thank you so much Cecil,” he said, beginning to pull on his equipment. Cecil grunted, but it was clear that he was pleased.
“Just trying to keep you kids alive,” he said, going back inside.
Steven waited until Kenny had gotten ready. “Come on,” he said, walking towards the gate.
“Will their be Zombies at the house?” Kenny asked, beginning to feel anxious.
His uncle flashed him a toothy grin. “Maybe, maybe not. We’ll find out when we get there.” Sighing, but excited, Kenny followed him to the gates.
♠ ♠ ♠
Appreciate any feedback.