Status: Work in progress. Bare with me.

The End of All Things

We Owe This To Ourselves

Nine Years Later


The light of the Monday morning peaked through the blinds, hitting Kenzie’s face, also setting of the mental alarm clock she claimed she had in her head. Her legs kicked the dark yellow comforter and white, brown trimmed sheets off of her body. She gave herself a minute before sitting up to coax herself out of the bed. Once that was done she scratched her head as she headed into the bathroom that was connected to the room, to complete her daily routine before heading to work.

After getting dressed and ready, she grabbed her bag and the binder she brought home with her the night before, heading downstairs to the kitchen. She sat her things in the chair that had been by the island and took the red travel mug full of coffee that had already been made on the counter.

“Thanks.” She told Lincoln, who had been leaning on the counters, while she headed to the cabinet to get a pop tart.

Without glancing up he said, “You’re welcome.” Taking a drink of his own coffee while he scrolled through his phone.

“Oh yeah, don’t forget about tonight.” She reminded him while she skillfully took her bag and binder into her arms without sitting her “breakfast” down. “Everybody is going to start coming around eight, so if I’m not here before seven go ahead and set up.”

Kenzie was throwing her best friend Bethany a surprise birthday party. Partly because she wanted to and also because she wanted to make up for last year. Things had gotten in the way and since she still felt bad about some of those things, she was making up for it, and many other things, by throwing this party. If Kenzie felt like she had done something bad or was responsible for anything going wrong, she felt the need to make up for it.

“I know. I’ll get the balloons and everything so don’t worry about it.” He offered sticking his iPhone into the pocket of his slate gray slacks while he stood up straight.

A smile came up on her face. “You’re so awesome.” She kissed his cheek before heading to the door. “Have a good day.” She called before it closed.

♠ ♠ ♠


Somewhat as predicted Kenzie got there by the time Lincoln had began setting up. As soon as she got inside she dropped her stuff into the closet by the front door so it wouldn’t be in the way. Rather than kick her pumps off like she normally would, she headed straight into the kitchen where she heard noise. “Hey.”

“Hey. Everything is pretty much set, you just have fix the music.” He nodded.

“You work too fast for me sometimes.” She shook her head and went back to the closet to pull out one of the two computers she had.

He let an out a small scoff. “I move too fast? You’re the one with two phones, two computers, and an iPad. I’d count your art and production equipment but those aren’t means of communication.” He teased opening a beer and sitting on the couch while she sat on the arm.

“Work purposes. The entertainment business is constant. And you have two phones too, sir. How was your day?”

Kenzie was an A&R executive. Along with that she had recently taken on a job as a freelance music journalist. To her, her job was perfect even with the ups and downs that she faced from time to time. She couldn’t see herself doing anything else.

Lincoln couldn’t help but to laugh slightly and shake his head. He knew Kenzie wouldn’t have her career any other way, all that mattered to her was the passion she had and the happiness she gained. “My day was fine. Full of meetings but it wasn’t too bad.” He half shrugged. Lincoln worked at a sports management firm. It had been his backup plan, and since he couldn’t become the professional hockey player he intended to be, due to an injury, he was just as happy with his job. Just like Kenzie was, he was one of the best.

“That’s good. Done.” She said after she finished making the playlist. “We should be good for music until the next morning.”

Though they had full time jobs, they still managed to have gatherings. It made things fun for the both of them. They liked to stay connected and though they had a tight group of friends already, and they made sure to keep their expanded circles as well. Kenzie got off the arm of the couch and plugged the computer into their sound system, closing the cabinet door to keep the computer out of the way. If there had one place Kenzie could thank personally, it would have been Ikea.

And just like clock work the doorbell had rang.

Linc got up making a slight grunt as he headed to the door with his beer in hand. “Time to get this party started.”

♠ ♠ ♠


A few hours later, after calling out surprise and singing happy birthday at some point, the party had been in full effect. Everybody had been enjoying themselves and the company of others around them, even if they were buzzed, sober or just completely drunk. At the moment Kenzie and Lincoln had separated and were with their own friends. Kenzie, Bethany and Crystal in the kitchen and Lincoln, Fred and Brent, in the back yard drinking beer.

“Thank you so much for the party.” Bethany said as Kenzie started the three of them drinks.

She laughed slightly. “You’re welcome.”

“So how has life been going for everybody?” Crystal leaned onto the counter watching both of her best friends.

“Clearly, everything is great now.” Bethany scoffed. “Oh, I think I found the place. And I want you guys to see it and tell me what you think.” She said referring to the salon she was planning on opening in the near future. “What are you guys doing Sunday?”

“Absolutely nothing.” Crystal smiled, happy for her friend.

“What time?” Kenzie asked.

“Around noon.”

She made a slight face as she went to the stainless steel refrigerator. “I can’t Lincoln has this brunch thingy or whatever that I have to go to with him.” She said from behind the doors.

Both Bethany and Crystal looked at each other. They exchanged almost the same look but then changed to looks, urging one of them to say something. They both mouthed ‘you do it’ or ‘no you do it’ while Kenzie’s back was turned. In the mist of there back and forth Kenzie turned around and raised a brow, trying to figure out what was going on between her two best friends.

“What are you guys doing?”

Again, both of them looked at each other. “Fine, I’ll say it.” Bethany dropped her hands into her lap. “Kenz, we love you okay? But you and Lincoln are divorced. As in not married.”

“Uh huh?” She said still confused and not sure what she was getting at.

Crystal rubbed her forehead seeing that her friend clearly wasn’t seeing the issue. “You guys still act like you are together!” She half way snapped. “ You go to each other’s events, you guys get stuff for each other, hell, and you guys still live together. You have no obligation to each other do you guys know that?”

♠ ♠ ♠


“Why don’t you just move out?” Fred asked Lincoln, still not comprehending the situation both of his friends had put themselves in. “Do you know how much ass you are missing out on?”

“None.” He said as if it had been obvious.

Brent gave a small sigh. “Linc, you guys have been divorced for three months, don’t you think its time that one or both of you let go?”

“We already let go. And technically we aren’t divorced yet. We haven’t officially signed anything yet. We’re still in the process.” Linc explained after giving it a quick thought. Both of them men rolled their eyes at their friend. “And besides, give me a few weeks, this ‘divorce’ thing will be forgotten about because I’ll have her back.”

♠ ♠ ♠


“…The papers will officially be done, we will sign, and we will move on and stay friends. It’s working so far.” Kenzie took a sip of her drink with a shrug.

Bethany could still only blink. “Does he know that?”

“Yes, he knows that. He’s already started looking at places of his own.”

♠ ♠ ♠


“I was only looking to make her think that it was really going to happen. The day I actually tell her that I bought a place; she is going to think about it, and realize that all of this is and was a mistake. I know her like the back of my hand.” Lincoln explained his plan. “I know how to get into her head.”

“Do you now?” Fred said unconvinced.

♠ ♠ ♠


The next question they were asked was both different but they had given the same exact answer.

“Yes, everything is going to work out just fine for all of us.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Song

So what did Kenzie do that she felt that she needed to make up? How long has the divorce been going on? Are either one of them ever going to realize that they aren't on the same page when it comes to the divorce? All this and more when the story continues!

Comment, Subscribe, Recommend!