Footprints of a vampire

Angry.

- ALIZ P.O.V –

I slowed my pace down, as the anger I had tried to shake off on my walk still clung to me, rippling through me, I wanted to hurt them, I wanted them to know what it felt like. I reached the tall fence and looked around, it was totally deserted, lifting my body up I swung my right leg over and took a breath, I was once again glad that I had Matt’s strength. My feet hit the muddy floor and I slipped a little, squelching through the grass as the rain whipped at my face, it was coming down hard and fast now. My face was already wet with tears, tears that kept coming, I was angry and upset, and this had gone too far, I didn’t know how much more I could take.

I was going to have to compete in a very important swimming challenge later this week and it determined his future, the pressure mounted on me and I continued crying, my stomach turning anxiously. Then there was this crisis, I was in Matt’s body, I had to be like Matt, I had to be a boy. And his family, his money-loving high-class family, I was finding it hard dealing with them, I didn’t understand. As if things weren’t bad enough, I was a half vampire, everything I believed and knew had been destroyed, if vampires existed, then the world was not as I thought. Everything had happened so fast and there was no news on Matt’s grandma either, things were looking murky and hopeless.

And then another big event was coming up, my demo was this week and if that goes badly then that was my future over too. Everything was piling up; everything was pushing at us from all sides. Was this a joke? Was this a dream? Was this a test? I didn’t know.

My mind rushed back to the scene in the kitchen and I gasped for breath as the wind grew stronger, I couldn’t believe how Matt’s mother had used that snooty sarcastic tone to make out my mother was a helpless charity case. Her patronising manner, who did she think she was fooling?

I slumped down onto the grass, ignoring the mud, rain, and wind, covering my ears I blocked everything out and sat. How did everything go from mildly normal, to me being stuck inside a half vampire’s body? Surely I must have done something wrong, something awful for this to happen to me?

“This has to be a nightmare, a bad dream, something.” I sobbed quietly.

“Please, you’ve punished me enough, please.” I didn’t know who I was pleading with.

“Let me go.” I whimpered quietly into the cold night.

I waited a few seconds, sniffing but nothing happened, I was surrounded by the rain and the darkness, I stood up quickly looking up.

“Let me go!” I yelled loudly, my deep voice echoing around the park.

“I’ve had enough! I want my body back! I need my body back! I need to be me again! Let me go!” I continued, but nothing happened as I knew it wouldn’t.

I slid back onto the grass, tilting my head upwards I cried in pain.

“What have I ever done?” I asked the sky, the rain, the park, the wind, everything.

I couldn’t help it, this situation was beyond normal, beyond supernatural, it was insane, and it was so insane that it couldn’t be actually happening; I refused to believe it was real any longer. I punched the wet grass repeatedly until my knuckles started to bruise, I screamed out into the darkness and continued to pound the grass. Seconds, minute’s maybe hours must have passed, I stopped screaming, I stopped fighting, and I lay on the ground, letting the rain wash all over me.

- MATT'S P.O.V –

She was only trying to help Colette, I tried to think of something else but a pang of anger hit me again as I thought of my own mother, she always found something to her advantage, there was always something in it for her. I shook my head again – no. This was Colette’s fault; my mother was just trying to help.

It was Aliz’s fault too, what sort of person ignores their hunger for another person? I couldn’t do it, I can’t do it, I need my food, there was no way I’d go another day like this. It wasn’t fair, why should I not eat? I was the teenager needing food, I should be priority, and Aliz’s mother should insist that I eat. I rolled my eyes looking at the tall fence, it looked larger now that I was in Aliz’s body, I looked to the side trying to find the gap which I used to wriggle through when I was a child. My eyes skimmed the wet surface and pushed my way through a small hole, wriggling I edged forwards, my elbows deep in mud and pulled myself through.

The rain had drenched me completely making my hair stick to the side of my face and drip constantly. I didn’t know what to feel, I had mixed emotions about everything, I wanted to do something but say another thing. The most pressing issue was the fact that I was a girl and the fact that my life could be ruined or made later this week and it was all down to a girl who disliked me.

I pulled myself across the grass not noticing a figure slumped on the ground in front of me, I stared into the dark sky hoping that some how, something would come to me, a way to get back into my body, a way to escape this. I breathed heavily, blinking the rain out of my eyes. Something stirred in front of me; my eyes shot to the place where somebody had been laying down, the figure rose and turned quickly to face me. My eyes met her eyes and nothing but hate radiated from both of us. Detached from the rest of the world, we walked towards each other slowly, our postures tense, our eyes never leaving each other, I twisted my expression and narrowed my eyes at her. She looked tired and upset but angry and ready to attack; I kept my stance, gritting my teeth I returned her glares.

Before anything could happen, those three words escaped out of our mouths before we could stop them, the wind carried them to us, and at that moment I was ready to fight.

“I hate you.” She hissed.

“I hate you.” I retorted with as much force and hatred I could muster.

We blinked and fury raged inside us both, was this the moment Matt Baines and Aliz Jones would officially have it out and perhaps finish it once and for all?