Status: Active

Demons

Prologue

July 02, 2011
Mountain View, California


I wiped the sweat from my forehead, shifting the boxes around the tent in the order I liked them. It was still early in the morning, but hot as fuck. A week into warped tour, and I was pretty sure I used all the sunscreen I brought with me already. I was going to need to buy more, a lot more. When my brother warned me that I need a suitcase just for sunscreen, I should've listened.

I set my tip jar on the table. It read, "Tips for tits!" It was the wittiest thing I could think of. Not many people held me to it, thankfully. My manager for the summer snuck up behind me, saying "The kids will be let in soon. Almost ready?"

I jumped back almost tripping over a box and grabbed my chest. "Jesus, Mike. Scare me half to death." He chuckled, patting my arm. "Yes, I'm almost done."

"Good," he nodded, looking around. "At two, we're having a signing at our tent. I'll send Riley over to help out early before her shift."

I groaned, but nodded anyway. I hated signings. I might have been the same age as a lot of the kids attending warped tour, but they were crazed. Maybe I wasn't as weird, because my older brother was in one of these bands the kids drooled over. In any case, they were annoying.

"Who is it?" I asked, going back to what I was doing.

"Asking Alexandria," he shouted over his shoulder as he walked away.

I shrugged. I heard of them, but never listened to their music. I was well aware that a lot of people liked them, though. I was just kind of old school with my music taste. Not so old school that I only listened to music made before I was born. My brother, Quinn, is the guitarist in The Used, so my music choice tended to be from his era of music, which is completely different from what people listen to now. Not that my music choices didn't range from 70's to now. I listened to a lot of music. I just tend to stick to The Used, Taking Back Sunday, UnderOath, etc. There were a lot of bands I couldn't get into after 2010. Shit got weird.

While selling merch throughout the day, whenever I had a minute, I found myself looking up pictures of the band. Even if their music sucked, maybe I would have eye candy for the hour they would be sitting near me. After looking at a few pictures, I realized they were a very attractive band. Then I listened to their couple songs on myspace, and I had to admit, they weren't bad. I could definitely get into this.

Riley showed up an hour before the signing. She had been my best friend for years. Her older brother was, also, in The Used. Quinn and Bert, her brother, introduced us one day when they had band practice. At the time, we were still pretty young, so we were technically being babysat. But we became instant best friends, much to our brothers' dismay. It turns out, we're a lot more trouble together then we are separate.

"Hey, bitch," she smiled, handing me a lemonade, most likely spiked with vodka.

"Hello," I grinned, taking a sip. Oh yeah, definitely spiked.

"Excited for the signing?" She asked, setting her cup on the table.

"Totally," I rolled my eyes. "I looked them up, though. They're pretty hot."

She laughed, "you would."

I shrugged, brushing my fingers through my badly, bleached hair. The first night we came on tour, we got shit faced with band members from different bands. I ended up bleaching my hair, and when I woke up, I almost cried. I haven't had time to buy a new box of hair dye to fix it.

Riley's night went a hell of a lot better than mine. She met Andy from Black Veil Brides, and they've been basically connected at the hip any chance they got. Personally, I thought Black Veil Brides was lame. However, Andy is definitely good looking.

Mike walked up with metal chairs in his hands a couple other members of the warped tent following behind him with more to set them up behind our table.

"What exactly are we supposed to do?" I asked as I watched them.

"Make sure the kids don't take pictures and move along quickly. Also, make sure the band doesn't get raped," Mike stated, only slightly joking on the last part.

"Well, I don't think Lexi is right for the job," Riley laughed, earning a grin out of me.

Mike glared at me. "You two better be on your best behavior, or I'll be giving your brothers a call."

I rolled my eyes. It was ridiculous that everyone knew our brothers and how over protective they could be. Kids already started lining up in front of the table, ranging in ages from ten to older folks in their forties. Knowing that I didn't really like dealing with people, Riley quickly took charge and asked them to form a straight line as if they were all still in preschool. Why couldn't people figure out lines on their own at this age?

I was planning on standing near the table and getting anything the band members asked for, while yelling at kids, "no pictures!" I took pleasure in that, even though if I were in their shoes, I'd probably start a fist fight over that.

The band was almost fifteen minutes late. Surprise, surprise! Bands were always late to signings, especially if the members had a big head. To be honest, I didn't blame them, but it drove me crazy. And I immediately decided I didn't like them.

The guy who sat closer to me, who I later found out from almost fainting fans was named Danny, picked up my tip jar, reading my witty slogan, and grinned before setting it back down on the table. The band didn't ask for much while sitting there, they were mostly acting like smart asses while joking with their fans. Danny happened to be the cockiest person I had ever met. So I just stood off to the side, sipping on my lemonade while giving the stink eye to kids who pulled out their cameras and cell phones for pictures. But as long as the band was okay with it, I didn't bother yelling at anyone.

For some reason, I suddenly felt self conscious around them once they started talking. Not because of the British accents, but because they seemed so confident in themselves. I felt like an ant, because they hardly even looked my way. Riley, however, was chatting with them the whole time.

After the kids were all pleased with their signatures and hugs, the boys stood up. Two of the members, who were mostly talking to Riley, said their goodbyes to her, saying they'd meet up at some point to hang. I watched as Danny reached into his back pocket to pull out his wallet. He slipped a twenty in my tip jar, turning towards me to flash an adorable, but cheeky grin. "I hope you live up to this promise," he stated, slapping me on the ass before walking off.

I opened my mouth to yell profanities at him, but my mind seemed to shut down. I just stared at him shocked with my mouth hanging open like an idiot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you enjoy. Subscribe and comment, please! I love feedback.