Status: Updated every Friday.

Rejecting Him

Chapter Eleven

Each candidate delivered their speech to a hushed crowd, though I hardly paid attention to a word they said. I was too busy rehearsing a speech of my own—my rejection of Warren.

By the time Warren had finished his speech, the werewolves around me were murmuring to each other in excitement. Even Alanna, who had so quickly taken my side, seemed to share everyone else’s enthusiasm. The last few shreds of hope that I desperately held onto seemed to crumble in my hands.

Why, oh why, did Warren have to speak first? I thought in despair.

Though Warren had promised to form an alliance with the Emerald City pack in Seattle, I personally called shenanigans on his claims. Any Alpha—Washingtonian or no—could have done that. One of the few things I knew about Dad’s business was that he himself was talking to the Seattle Alpha. If I hadn’t known better, I’d have thought they were personally acquainted on some level. Why else would he be communicating with the Seattle Alpha, even going to Seattle, if not to form an alliance? If one was formed, the Seattle wolves could pass more freely into our territory. Essentially, our packs would merge into a bigger umbrella pack.

Crap.

I wrung my hands nervously as Eric delivered his speech next. I liked to think my vote would tip the scale, if I had a vote, but it didn’t matter. Warren had captured the minds and hearts of the Willamette Valley Pack, and all I could do was watch and wait for the inevitable.

Eric, don’t screw this up…

Dad’s eyes met mine and I dropped my hands, putting on a brave smile. Having seen so little of him for the past few weeks, I’d almost forgotten he was here.

Warren and Eric stepped aside, each making way for the Pack’s council to deliver their votes. On a stool that normally sat before the kitchen’s island counter was a black box with a slit in the top. Warren remained up front, chatting animatedly with Dad, while Eric vanished into the crowd. Dad leaned in and nodded at what Warren was saying. Then, they looked over at me. I looked down at my shoes.

“How’d I do?” Eric asked. I jumped and whirled around to see him pocket his note cards.

“Good, good,” I assured him. Eric smiled, but I could see the uncertainty dominating his expression. Around us, the wolves shifted, and I watched sullenly as everyone filed past us to cast their votes. Alanna shot me a thumbs-up from where she stood in line.

“They really like him,” Eric mused. “If he wins—”

“He won’t, so don’t even go there,” I cut in.

“Callie, I’ve had young men like Warren in my class. Never underestimate the power of good looks.”

“Spoken like a teacher who’s probably never noticed the signs of a student crush,” I muttered.

Eric blinked. I smiled. “You don’t think…me?”

“What? These things happen. But honestly? Warren isn’t gonna win.” I hope. “He’s too new in town.”

Though Eric smiled at this, the doubt was still clear in his eyes. “I hope you’re right.”

***

Once everyone had cast their votes, Dad and the rest of his council sent us from the room, including Eric and Warren. I refilled my water, then cut around to the front of the house through a gate in the back yard. My nerves had worn thin, I was too on-edge to stand myself. If I wanted, I could have jumped right out of my skin. The only way I could calm myself down was with a walk around the neighborhood.

Darkness had fallen since the meeting had started. While it was still mostly warm, I detected a hint of chill to the air. A light breeze ruffled the branches of the trees around me. I closed my eyes, smiling lightly at the feeling of the wind on my arms. It had gotten way too stuffy inside from the pack being squeezed into one place. Even at dinner, not everyone could fit at the table. The pack had spread out into the living room and the back patio.

It wasn’t just the air that made me feel stifled, though. It was Warren himself. His shining golden eyes had a way of piercing me to the core. I couldn’t help but wonder if all werewolves got this way when they imprinted, or if it was just him. I shivered and wrapped my arms around myself as another breeze passed through, carrying with it the scent of musk and cinnamon.

Hold on.

My nerves lit up at the scent. I froze where I stood.

No. Don’t show fear.

Hesitantly, I set one foot in front of the other. I had to keep going, play it cool. From what I could tell, I was halfway through with my second circuit of the block. Home wasn’t too far off.

Just keep walking.

The smell grew stronger. Warren’s light footsteps sounded behind me. It wasn’t just a saying, smelling fear; every creature put out a certain scent when they were afraid, whether they did it knowingly or not. I smelled my own bitter fear coming through and grit my teeth in anger. He would smell it as well. The very thought sickened me, and made me more afraid.

“Callie,” Warren called. I quickened my pace. Home, safety, would be just around the corner.

Warren sped up to match my pace, and soon I could almost feel the very heat radiating from his body. His scent stung my nostrils. Before I could register what was going on, Warren had me by the elbow. He spun me around to face him. Knocked askew, I did an awkward dance to regain balance. There was a crack and my left shoe’s heel thudded to the ground. I bit back a curse.

“My—my shoe—” I gasped.

“I can buy you a new pair,” Warren said calmly, as if nothing was wrong. He bent to inspect the damage but I awkwardly jerked away.

“No, it’s fine. Just leave it.” I bent as well and yanked my shoes off. Though they were new, they had serious potential to become my favorites. Now they were ruined. I let out a forlorn sigh. “Damn it.”

The corner of Warren’s lip twitched at my curse. Wordlessly, he straightened and took the shoes from my hands. I was too busy marveling at the grace with which he moved to notice what he had done. No other werewolf I knew moved with such ease.

Is he a dancer or something?

Warren inspected the shoes, his lips set in a grim line. His fingertips glided easily over the broken heel in a fluid-like movement. Finally, Warren held them out for me to take.

“Here,” he said. I warily eyed the shoes as if they were a cobra poised to strike. Warren raised an eyebrow at me. “Would you rather I take them, then?”

“No!” I exclaimed. The very thought of Warren holding onto anything I owned was not one that sat well with me.

I snatched the heels out of his hands. For the briefest of seconds, our skin touched, and a tingly static rushed up my arms. Once again, I felt the rope trying to form.

***

I couldn’t get inside fast enough, though I didn’t want Warren to see that. The slow walk up to the house was excruciating.

The pack had assembled in the living room again, filling the area near to bursting. I wedged myself between two muscular werewolves—one a man, one a woman—in faded jeans, black Docs, and a camouflage shirt. The look on their faces were stony, revealing nothing. I wasn’t sure if my involuntary shiver was from their presence or the cool glass of the sliding doors pressing against my bare back. When I glanced down, I saw that both wolves had matching rings: a thick silver band with a small emerald set in the center.

A low, quick murmur rippled through the pack. I looked back up to see Dad and his council comparing sheets of yellow legal pad paper in their hands, which I could only assume was their tally of the votes. With a final nod between them, Dad stepped up to make the announcement. I wrung my hands, holding my breath.

“It has been an honor to serve as Alpha all these years,” Dad said. At the sound of his deep, rumbling voice the pack went silent. “However, it is long past time I retire. Before you stands the next Alpha of the Willamette Valley Pack.”

Dad paused to gesture toward Eric and Warren. Warren smiled, his shrewd eyes taking in the werewolves before him. I caught sight of Alanna and Jen whispering to each other. Jen giggled. Beside Warren, Eric smiled as well and gave a quiet nod.

“Without further ado, let me present your new Alpha: Warren Hagen.”

The room lit up with deafening applause, and Jen’s shrill whistle split the air. A cold weight dropped in the pit of my stomach as I slumped against the sliding glass door in defeat.

Grinning, Warren stepped up beside Dad. Eric’s smile never wavered. That didn’t exactly mean he was pleased, though. His body was rigid, his eyes smoldering with a hollow disappointment. I could almost hear the words echoing in my mind when our eyes locked onto each other.

I told you so.

Another defeated sigh.

Warren’s voice jerked me out of my head and back into reality. I froze, not unlike a deer in the headlights, once I registered what he was saying. The pack chanted at him for a speech and Warren was only too eager to deliver. How I wish he weren’t.

“Thank you, first and foremost, for electing me as your Alpha. On any other night I would be celebrating such a momentous victory. Trust me on that. But this is not the event I plan to celebrate tonight.”

Confusion rippled through the wolves in the form of whispered questions to one another. I myself was seized by a dark, creeping dread. There was no doubt in my mind as to what was coming. I found Nick not too far away and he shot me an urgent look, one that was easy to read.

What are you waiting for, Callie? His eyes seemed to say. No, his eyes screamed the question. I shook my head helplessly in response. He glared at me, silently labeling me a coward.

“You see,” Warren continued, “I have found my mate.”

Gasps of surprise replaced the confusion. The Seattle wolves beside me grinned, one calling out, “Yeah, buddy!” I sank back further. Maybe if I wished hard enough, I could disappear.

“Earlier tonight, actually, I met a wonderful werewolf and we wound up imprinting on each other.” Warren locked onto me with his gaze. I stared down at my bare feet. My toes curled at the very idea of being mated to Warren forever. I didn’t want to give up, but all his victory had brought out in me was numbing defeat. I was too disappointed to even hate him for his lie. “Callie Greenwood? Would you please come up here?”

There were more shocked gasps at the mention of my name. Who would have guessed that the new Alpha would be mated to the daughter of the former Alpha? Not these people, I guess.

It was like another being, neither wolf nor human, had taken over my body. I numbly made my way up to the front of the room. This was my one chance to formally renounce Warren as my mate, something that could only be done in front of one’s pack and that pack’s Alpha. Warren himself was Alpha now; I hoped that still counted. One look into Nick’s eyes told me he was hoping for the same thing.

I stopped in front of Warren, softly gasping as he took my hands. His grip was tight and not easily escapable. The way he grinned at me made me want to slap him across the face. He was gloating, and he knew I hated it. This time, I knew Warren was mocking me. It was his mockery that brought me back to myself. It was the strength I needed for what was to come.

“Warren,” I said. My knees shook, my mouth felt like sandpaper. I cleared my throat and licked my lips. Even with this newfound strength, I was still intimidated by the presence of the entire Willamette Valley Pack.

“Yes?” said Warren. His hands were warm and baby soft, pleasant hands that I would have liked if they belonged to any guy but him. But because they were Warren’s hands, they repulsed me. I feared and loathed Warren with the entirety of my being.

“In your presence and the presence of the Willamette Valley Pack, I formally reject you as my mate.”

***

Warren caught me alone in the parking lot as I fumbled with my keys. They slipped from my hands and landed with a teasing jingle in the darkness beneath my car.

“Shit,” I hissed under my breath. I got on my hands and knees to grope around for my key ring. If my recent luck was any indicator, I was sure my keys would have landed somewhere out of my reach, and I’d have to go around the side to get them. Even in this darkness though, I could only make out vague, hazy shapes; but that was more than any human could possibly see.

The smell hit me first—musk and cinnamon. I let out a surprised yelp as a soft pair of hands yanked me to my feet. Before I could react, I felt myself being pressed up against the car. Its driver-side rearview mirror dug into my back.

“Again with the language,” a voice purred in my ear. The smell of cigarettes on Warren’s breath made me want to gag. I had never liked that smell, since I could out-smell a bloodhound in even the most trying conditions. Besides, I was a nonsmoker who preferred the natural scent of wood smoke.

“Get away from me,” I snarled.

Warren tightened his grasp on my arms. I cried out in shocked pain, squirming against his rock-hard body. He leaned in closer until we were almost nose-to-nose. I squirmed even more at the feeling of his breath tickling my face. Growling deep in his throat, Warren pressed me harder against the car. His nails dug into my skin. He hissed a single word in my ear, his tone so low and menacing the blood ran cold in my veins.

Mine.