Not the One

Chapter 11

We were gathered together at the dinner table. Daniel was going to tell us the news of whether I could go to Paris.
“Leo, I called my wife and she said it was okay for you to come. I also contacted your parents that you were going to leave the city to go to a foreign country. And as for me, I’m okay for you to leave work for a month. You know… if I don’t hire anyone else during the time you’re gone, you can work permanently at my company.” Leo took a bite of his pasta.
“YES!” Tina yelled.
“Oh, wow. Thank you so much,” I smiled. I was going to go to Paris!
After dinner, Tina wanted to me to hang out in her room.
“I can’t wait to pack!” She said with a lot of excitement.
“Are you going to do that now?”
“Nah… maybe tomorrow in the day time. Right now… I want it to be me and you time.” She scooted closer to me on the soft, fluffy, white carpet.
She pecked my lips lightly. I was nervous. I only kissed a girl once on the lips. That was about ten years ago… so I could confidently say I was unexperienced. Tina probably expected me to do something that would impress her. I got nothing.
The only thing I could think of doing was put my arms around her waist. I kissed her lightly back. We continued to kiss each other lightly and softly on the lips.
I could tell Tina was getting tired of doing this over and over with barely any movement. I was as stiff as a brick. She was moving her body a lot more than I was.
I stopped her. “Sorry, I’m not really used to doing this,” I admitted.
“Aw, it’s okay, Leo. We can go slowly.” She kissed me on the lips. “I think we should get our good night’s rest. Don’t you?” I knew that was code for “I don’t feel like kissing you anymore. You can go back to your room.”
“Yeah… um, sure.” I left her room, feeling like a loser.
I was closing my door halfway when Tina came over and pushed the door wide open.
“I’m sorry… I don’t know why I expected you to want to make out with me so quickly. It’s just… my ex and I did things… fast.” She looked up at me with tears. I stepped forward and gave her a hug.
“It’s okay. I wasn’t really participating much, so I guess I didn’t excite you much.” She laughed. I did too.
“We really should take things slowly. We have plenty of time together… in Paris!” She squeezed me and went back in her room.
This was why I liked Tina. She was always able to make me smile or laugh.
I fell asleep dreaming about Tina. I went as far as us getting married, living here in Malibu, taking vacations to Paris and sometimes Iowa with our kids. It was all getting good until a thought of Jane popped up. In my dream, she kept showing up everywhere Tina and I went. Jane begged me to be with her, and my heart couldn’t hold it in, so I dumped Tina and I got together with Jane. Tina couldn’t take what I did, so she plotted revenge. I woke up sweating right when I saw Tina grab a knife and stab Jane in the head with it.