Not the One

Chapter 13

I woke up the next morning to find Tina not in the room. Where did she go? Was she that mad at me that she left without a notice? I was starting to regret what I did last night. Stupid Jane. Why did she have to be in my head at that time?
I was right about to leave to find Tina, but she came back in the room, smiling and holding two white paper bags.
“I bought donuts!” Tina called.
“Oh… you were out?” I couldn’t tell if she was actually happy or pretending to look happy and forgetting about what happened last night.
“Yeah. I got up early and had a craving for sugar.”
“Okay. Let’s eat.” We sat down on the couch and Tina handed me a bag. I peered inside. There were a dozen donuts. My mouth was watering. I only ate donuts once when I was a kid, so I was really hungry for more.
“Oh no! I forgot to buy coffee,” Tina said.
“It’s fine. I can do without it.”
“No! I can’t eat donuts without coffee. I’m weird like that. I’ll go down and buy some.”
“I’ll come with you.” We headed downstairs and across the street. The store we went in was Fred’s Donuts.
“Hi, I’ll have two large coffees, please,” Tina told the guy at the cash register. He went and fetched our coffees and went outside.
Just then, a guy stopped in front of us. I thought he was about to ask us for directions.
“Tina? Is that you?” The guy asked.
“Damien! Oh gosh… I… wow. You’re here. I’m here. What are you doing here?” Tina asked, stuttering.
“Just walking around, finding new places to paint. What are you doing here in Paris?”
“My mom asked if I wanted to come, and I obviously said yes.”
“Wow, that’s awesome. We should hang out some day. Can I have your number?” He took out his black phone and handed it to Tina. She entered her number in his phone.
“I’ll call you,” Damien said, and then walked away. Tina was watching him go. I felt myself getting jealous.
“That was him… my ex,” Tina said.
“Oh,” I mumbled. I didn’t know what to say. She did mention to me before that she still had feelings for him. Did she now? I wasn’t sure I wanted to ask.
“We should go back up and eat breakfast. I’m hungry,” she said, linking her arm through mine as we crossed the street back to the hotel.

“What should we do for the rest of the day?” I asked, after eating breakfast.
“Explore Paris. I want to go to as many places as possible!”
“I want to go to the Eiffel Tower… at night.”
“Me too. You seriously can’t go to Paris and not see the Eiffel Tower in person.” Tina grabbed her bag and we were out the door again. This was going to be a fun day, I just knew it.